Apple reportedly planning PRODUCT(RED) Apple Watch Series 5

Posted:
in General Discussion
A brief mention in an unspecified Apple product database has sparked speculation that a PRODUCT(RED) version of the Apple Watch may soon be released.

Apple has previously released a PRODUCT(RED) sports band, but not an Apple Watch
Apple has previously released a PRODUCT(RED) sports band, but not an Apple Watch

Apple is potentially planning to release a PRODUCT(RED) version of its Apple Watch Series 5, which, if true, would mark the first time any Apple Watches have been offered in this form. The company did previously release a PRODUCT(RED) sport loop band in November 2018.

The claim comes from French publication WatchGeneration which does repeatedly stress that most of its information is speculation -- but not all.

According to the publication, a mention was found in an unspecified Apple database but was subsequently removed. The mention was apparently a reference number that was different to other PRODUCT(RED) items that WatchGeneration refers to as "bracelets," or bands.

The site also says that it believes the specific color would be close to that of the iPod touch, which got a PRODUCT(RED) version in May 2019.

PRODUCT(RED) is a partnership between (RED) and companies ranging from Apple to Nike, all of whom are raising awareness and funds for the treatment of HIV/AIDS. Up to half of the profits from a PRODUCT(RED) item are donated to the project. Apple says it has donated over $220 million since the project began 13 years ago.

Currently Apple sells PRODUCT(RED) versions of the iPhone, iPod touch, assorted iPhone and iPad cases and sleeves, Apple Watch sport bands, plus Beats headphones and portable speakers. It does not currently offer a PRODUCT(RED) iPad, Mac, AirPods or Apple Watch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    It is a noble cause and Apple is doing a good thing

But the reality is that AIDS research is already disproportionally funded based on the health burden compared to other diseases (heart disease, emphysema, arthritis, etc..)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/07/17/why-the-diseases-that-cause-the-most-harm-dont-always-get-the-most-research-money/

It would be nice if Apple broadened its efforts to include something(s) else

seanismorrisentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    It’s past time to start the battle against inflammation.  It might not be flashy, but it’s probably the root cause of 100s of illnesses (diseases), and it’s something that everyone will have to deal with.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    It’s past time to start the battle against inflammation.  It might not be flashy, but it’s probably the root cause of 100s of illnesses (diseases), and it’s something that everyone will have to deal with.
    My girlfriend has a chronic brain inflammation; this has caused her weight to plummet, frequent fevers, compromised immune system, and a stroke before she turned 30. "Inflammation" doesn't sound like a big deal, but you're right, it's huge. And it affects way, way more people than HIV/AIDS.

as for Product RED… every one of Apple's RED products has been freaking gorgeous. But I believe their marketing budget equals or surpasses what they actually accumulate in charitable dollars? It's kind of nonsense.
    edited December 2019 watto_cobraharry wild
  • Reply 4 of 17
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I don’t know if I would want to wear a red watch.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    entropys said:
    Great comment. Anyone know if they’re gonna be forcing red watches on everyone at gunpoint?
    JapheyStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    PRODUCT(RED) AirPods would be cool. Actually, any color AirPods would be cool. 
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Eric_WVGG said:
    My girlfriend has a chronic brain inflammation; this has caused her weight to plummet, frequent fevers, compromised immune system, and a stroke before she turned 30. "Inflammation" doesn't sound like a big deal, but you're right, it's huge. And it affects way, way more people than HIV/AIDS.

as for Product RED… every one of Apple's RED products has been freaking gorgeous. But I believe their marketing budget equals or surpasses what they actually accumulate in charitable dollars? It's kind of nonsense.
    I think the thing is that HIV can be caught by anyone. Treatment is available to prevent it progressing to AIDS and the suffering and the extra cost that goes with it.

In the UK we spend more money on breast cancer research than we do on prostate cancer research, and one man gets prostate cancer or dies from it every 45 minutes. There's an imbalance there, but it will be corrected as and when it's needed. Perhaps the PRODUCT(RED) money will go towards a different cause once we feel we've dealt with HIV? I dunno.

I guess the reason why they produce PRODUCT(RED) models is to raise awareness. If Apple merely donated $220m over the past 13 years, people would grumble about it, and how the money should go to shareholders or fixing bugs or whatever. This way it gives people an optional extra colour and they get to think their purchase means they're helping someone else.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Eric_WVGG said:

No, that's nonsense. All sorts of spending within an org eclipses that org's charitable donations. Marketing is core to Apple's success, so of course they're going to far surpass their charity budget with the marketing budget. As will R&D, payroll, etc etc. It's like how your groceries budget exceeds your charity budget. So what?

That an org gives back is what's important. 
    edited December 2019 dewmefastasleepwatto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 9 of 17
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    red oak said:
    It is a noble cause and Apple is doing a good thing

But the reality is that AIDS research is already disproportionally funded based on the health burden compared to other diseases (heart disease, emphysema, arthritis, etc..)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/07/17/why-the-diseases-that-cause-the-most-harm-dont-always-get-the-most-research-money/

It would be nice if Apple broadened its efforts to include something(s) else

Apple as a corporation, Apple executives, and Apple employees as individuals contribute significantly to many different charitable causes. The products that are part of PRODUCT(RED) campaigns are specifically targeting a specific cause but they do not represent the sum total of charitable contributions that Apple supports. The PRODUCT(RED) program is especially well conceived because it allows Apple's customers to knowingly participate while also acquiring some incredibly beautiful products. It's a total win-win-win scenario (win for the charity-win for Apple-win for the customer) that other charities are free to emulate.

I totally understand the sentiment that leads one to question why more funding decisions, including charitable ones, aren't based on need, logic, humanity, solving real issues, data-driven assessments, cost-vs-benefit, greater good, etc. If only life were that simple and unencumbered by the plethora of competing priorities and competing value systems. You could easily argue that the billions of dollars saved by acquiring one less F35 fighter for the US Air Force or one less Virginia class fast attack submarine for the US Navy could be directed to federally funded medical research for heart disease. Would the Air Force miss one plane or the Navy miss one submarine in terms of the big picture of national security. Absolutely not. But would this funding compromise ever be considered by the people controlling the purse strings? Absolutely not.

Like it or not, humans are tribal at many levels and all live in isolated silos competing for limited resources. Nobody has a global perspective or can apply universally unbiased value judgements across any domain, especially when it comes to funneling cold hard cash to fund specific investments. If you want cash, you've got to fight for it and come up with a way to get it. The PRODUCT(RED) folks came up with a way, people like it, and good for them. Nothing is stopping other causes from coming up with their own strategies and campaigns to fund their cause, so it's not fair to suggest that the success that PRODUCT(RED) has earned should be repurposed for some other cause.
    edited December 2019 fastasleepRayz2016
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Japhey said:
    ohhh dang I would jump on that
  • Reply 11 of 17
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    entropys said:
    Great comment. Anyone know if they’re gonna be forcing red watches on everyone at gunpoint?
    Yeah funny. A watch is a fashion accessory that is worn a lot and is highly visible, needing to fit into numerous occasions. A product red iPhone is desirable, a watch not so much.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Japhey said:
    White is all colors. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17

entropys said:
    entropys said:
    Yeah funny. A watch is a fashion accessory that is worn a lot and is highly visible, needing to fit into numerous occasions. A product red iPhone is desirable, a watch not so much.
    ...by you. Do you not see how having one more color choice has nothing to do with whether you think it’s desirable? Desire is subjective. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17

entropys said:
    entropys said:
    ...by you. Do you not see how having one more color choice has nothing to do with whether you think it’s desirable? Desire is subjective. 
    Im trying to understand what your position is here exactly. You offer sarcasm when I express a desire for (Red) AirPods, then you offer sarcasm when Entropys expresses his desire against a (Red) watch. Are you just here to annoy everybody, or do you actually have something constructive to add?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Japhey said:

entropys said:
    entropys said:
    Im trying to understand what your position is here exactly. You offer sarcasm when I express a desire for (Red) AirPods, then you offer sarcasm when Entropys expresses his desire against a (Red) watch. Are you just here to annoy everybody, or do you actually have something constructive to add?
    I made a joke about white being all colors, which is true — but I agree with you that (Red) AirPods would be awesome. So would any color — I was hoping for Space Gray/Black myself.  I was poking fun at Entropys' driveby "I don't want that" comment which is completely absurd because obviously some people absolutely would want a (Red) Watch. Clear?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    It just another tax break for Apple anyways!  It is up to half of the profits of the RED product totaling $230 million in 13 years of RED products.  Around $22 million a year!  I think Apple can expense the RED R&D, promotional expenses along with the RED charity portion.
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Japhey said:

entropys said:
    entropys said:
    I made a joke about white being all colors, which is true — but I agree with you that (Red) AirPods would be awesome. So would any color — I was hoping for Space Gray/Black myself.  I was poking fun at Entropys' driveby "I don't want that" comment which is completely absurd because obviously some people absolutely would want a (Red) Watch. Clear?
    Cool. I was also hoping for the Space Gray option and didn't even consider (RED) ones until this article.