The Brydge Pro+ keyboard adds a trackpad to your iPad Pro

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
Brydge, a company who makes keyboards and accessories for the iPad and MacBook, has announced that they are preparing to take preorders for the Brydge Pro+ -- a second iteration of the much beloved Brydge Pro keyboard for the iPad.

header

AppleInsider had taken a look at the original Brydge Pro keyboard and rated it a 4.5 out of 5. We cited the superior build quality, the MacBook-like design, and the great typing experience as the best features, recommending it over Apple's own Smart Keyboard.

Now, Brydge is getting ready to launch the second iteration of the Brydge Pro+. It looks as though the updated version is still going to keep its sleek, MacBook-inspired feel but will gain a few additions to work alongside iPadOS.

Like its predecessor, the Brydge Pro+ will feature a zero to 180 degree viewing angle, a MacBook-inspired keyboard with backlit keys, and Bluetooth connectivity.

New to the Brydge Pro+ is the multi-touch trackpad that takes advantage of iPadOS's new Assistive Touch features. The trackpad features gestures, allowing you to access App Expose, Home Screen, and Dock with ease.

Bridge Pro+ will be available for both the 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro and will come in Space Gray at launch. The Brydge Pro+ will cost $199.99 for the 11-inch iPad Pro and $229.99 for the 12.9-inch iPad Pro.

The first 500 preorders will ship in late February, with the remaining provers shipping in late march. Those interested can head over to the Brydge website to sign up to receive an email when preorders go live.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    It’s the regular diving board mechanism?
  • Reply 2 of 42
    I stopped reading at "Bluetooth connectivity..."

The continuing absence of a decent third-party smart connector keyboard for iPads -- four years after the intro of the SC -- is both surprising and distressing.
    edited January 2020 DAalsethwatto_cobraMplsPjeffharrisuraharajony0
  • Reply 3 of 42
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    A bit pricy though.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member

The continuing absence of a decent third-party smart connector keyboard for iPads -- four years after the intro of the SC -- is both surprising and distressing.
    The Apple keyboard & pointers use BT. What's the main disadvantage, having to charge it? They rate it at 3-months between charges:

https://www.brydge.com/products/brydge-pro-plus-for-ipad-pro?affiliate_id=90151&click_id=2959333671&utm_source=pepperjam&utm_medium=affiliate&clickId=2959333671
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 42
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    I have the Logitech case/keyboard for my iPad Pro and wonder how the Brydge compares on keyboard quality.

I really do not think the trackpad is necessary when you can just touch the screen.

That price is more than a little high, btw.

As to the Bluetooth, I have no problems with Bluetooth connectivity with mine.

My only real complaint about the Logitech is the case makes power shutdown awkward. The 2 button push Apple uses is a clunker and the case makes getting both pushed a little dodgy.

Finally, these are designed for the current iPad Pro and reportedly there will be a new iPad Pro coming in the spring.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 42

The Apple keyboard & pointers use BT. What's the main disadvantage, having to charge it? They rate it at 3-months between charges:

https://www.brydge.com/products/brydge-pro-plus-for-ipad-pro?affiliate_id=90151&click_id=2959333671&utm_source=pepperjam&utm_medium=affiliate&clickId=2959333671
    There is a problem if you want to use a Bluetooth headphone at the same time. I hope that one day we’ll be able to connect more than one thing through Bluetooth at a time, or that UWB will allow it.
    watto_cobraMplsPuraharaanantksundaram
  • Reply 7 of 42
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I agree about the price and what about weight? No info about this that I can find on their web site, for this or the non trackpad version.
    If it’s going to add a lot of weight, I’ll just use my MacBook, thank you. 
    watto_cobrabloggerblog
  • Reply 8 of 42
    fred1 said:
    I agree about the price and what about weight? No info about this that I can find on their web site, for this or the non trackpad version.
    If it’s going to add a lot of weight, I’ll just use my MacBook, thank you. 
    Yeah, I should have mentioned that too. When the Macbook existed until a short time ago, it actually weighed less than the aluminum case keyboards. Now, with that gone, they weigh less than the Macbook Regina. Not by much though.

i don’t like a keyboard case doubling the thickness and weight of my iPad Pro 12.9”.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 42
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    melgross said:

There is a problem if you want to use a Bluetooth headphone at the same time. I hope that one day we’ll be able to connect more than one thing through Bluetooth at a time, or that UWB will allow it.
    Multiple Bluetooth connections would be awesome if they could figure it out. Phillips makes flat LED lighting that is also a speaker, but you can only connect to one at a time. I daydreamed of having six of those things blasting in my kitchen. Someday....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 42
    I want it so bad, but I'm guessing they won't ship it with other keyboard layouts? (No, that isn't just a software thing; you can't remap keys that don't even exist.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 42
    davgreg said:
    I have the Logitech case/keyboard for my iPad Pro and wonder how the Brydge compares on keyboard quality.

I really do not think the trackpad is necessary when you can just touch the screen.
    <.</div>
    The trackpad is quite necessary for precise control if you are not using an Apple pencil. A touch screen is not a substitute for what a trackpad can do. It will substitute for point and click, but not too much else.
    MplsPjeffharris
  • Reply 12 of 42
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,463member
    It must pack a lot of weight to counter the weight of the iPad, so it wouldn’t tip over. 
  • Reply 13 of 42
    The trackpad will be much more useful when apple stops playing games and moves the mouse control from an accessibility item to screen options and provide more options for the mouse pointer. Right now, iPadOS mouse support feels like they don't really want to provide it.
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 14 of 42
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Wow!   At VERY Long Last -- the iPad has grown up and become a real computer!

Congratulations iPad!

It will be interesting to see how it compares to the MacBooks.  Apple has upgraded the operating system to include many of the necessary features required of a full OS and the main thing lacking was a mouse / trackpad and cursor.  

So, how will this impact MacBook Air sales? 
    It's very possible the iPad Pro will not only be faster and more powerful but far more flexible because it not only has a touch screen but it can function equally well (actually better!) as a tablet.

This could very easily become THE choice of students.
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 15 of 42
    The trackpad will be much more useful when apple stops playing games and moves the mouse control from an accessibility item to screen options and provide more options for the mouse pointer. Right now, iPadOS mouse support feels like they don't really want to provide it.
    Apple tends to go at these things slowly. After all they’ve never had mouse support before in iOS. To me, this is a test for them, if it seems people really do want it, not just a small number, they will probably expand on it next year. After all, in the betas, from requests, they have given smaller mouse pointers than originally. I believe there’s hope for more.
    bigpics
  • Reply 16 of 42
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member

We have several apple BT keyboards and mice and work and routinely have issues with connectivity, and yes, even though they need charges infrequently, charging is an issue because they lose their charge at inopportune times. My wife had a BT keyboard with her old iPad Air and regularly had connectivity issues with it as well. Then there's the issue of the environmental cost of an additional lithium battery.

I have a Logitech folio keyboard for my iPad Pro that uses the smart connector and it's always connected, I never have connectivity issues and I never have to charge it. It's a shame there aren't more options for the smart connector. As apple moved it to the short side with the newer generation of keyboards they actually made it less useful, so unfortunately I expect we won't see any more.

davgreg said:

I got my wife a new iPad Air with a bridge keyboard for Christmas and can attest that it's well built with a good feel to it. It's comparable to the Logitech keyboard I have for my iPad Pro. As others have mentioned touching with your finger doesn't cut it if you need fine precision. I like my iPad for a lot of uses and a trackpad would be awesome. 
    bigpics
  • Reply 17 of 42
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member

Congratulations iPad!

It will be interesting to see how it compares to the MacBooks.  Apple has upgraded the operating system to include many of the necessary features required of a full OS and the main thing lacking was a mouse / trackpad and cursor.  

It's very possible the iPad Pro will not only be faster and more powerful but far more flexible because it not only has a touch screen but it can function equally well (actually better!) as a tablet.

Except iOS is still very clunky and difficult to use for many workflows. 
    jeffharris
  • Reply 18 of 42

Bluetooth signal can be dodgy and laggy and frustrating.
    I always buy wired keyboards and trackballs for my Macs for just that reason.

Why couldn't they just have a flat 90° angle USB-C connector for it? And include a couple of USB-C jacks in the thing, too?
    MplsP
  • Reply 19 of 42
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Has Apple said it will allow third party use of the SC?  And if so under what terms?

Just curious as to who's culpable for the lack of any accessories...
  • Reply 20 of 42
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Congratulations iPad!

That's still a rev or two away, IMO.  But seems part (not all I'll venture) of where they're heading.