Apple stock reaches record high of $300 per share

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    Over 1/3rd of the way to becoming a 2 trillion dollar company! Amazing!
    Actually, starting from $0, it's 2/3 the way to $2T.
    You obviously did not understand @soli’s post.

Selective quoting on your part does not help.
    That was my bad. He quoted the whole part and I can see how one could not get my meaning so I added to my original statement.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 22 of 42
    I had a guy try and talk me out of buying AAPL in early 2003 when I was reading rumors about Apple launching something called iTunes. He recommended I should consider shares of Sun instead. I am glad I went with my gut instead of the expert.
    mknelson said:
    I just wish I could recall the name of the investment advisor who tried to talk me out of buying shares in the spring of 2009.

$123 a share pre split (about $17.57 based on the current value)

Too conservative he said!   :D
    I had a guy at UBS do the same around 2012 or so. Tried to get me to reconsider AAPL which he referred to as a “media darling” and was like “have you heard of a company called Qualcomm?” LOL. 
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 23 of 42
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,251member
    eriamjh said:
    Noice.  Bring on the split or increase the dividend.   Or both.  
    No need. The stock is climbing like gangbusters right now. Touch anything and the market gets nervous.
    I bought in just before the previous split, so i wouldn't mind another split so i could buy some more. Unless it has adverse effects, in which case I'm happy where i am. 
  • Reply 24 of 42
    eriamjh said:
    Noice.  Bring on the split or increase the dividend.   Or both.  
    No need. The stock is climbing like gangbusters right now. Touch anything and the market gets nervous.
    Agreed! No split needed. I don't want the riff-raffs to get into and day trade the crap out of it. I am fine with my average cost of mid-20s. Maybe increase in dividend would be nice. I do see it make it to $400 by EOY. I have told many of my friends many time to get in and I hope they took my advice. I am even telling them to get in today @ currently price.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    flydog said:
    Hit $311.94 in after hours trading today. Unbelievable. If this continues, I’ll have literally double what I was planning on retiring with.
    No it did not.
    I think it was supposed to say $301.94. Just my guess. I know it finished at 301 and change in after hours. 
    No, it hit $311.94 but did not settle at that price. I meant what I wrote.
    You're looking at something wrong. AAPL closed at $301.19 in after hours trading. That was the high of the day.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    chabig said:
    flydog said:
    Hit $311.94 in after hours trading today. Unbelievable. If this continues, I’ll have literally double what I was planning on retiring with.
    No it did not.
    I think it was supposed to say $301.94. Just my guess. I know it finished at 301 and change in after hours. 
    No, it hit $311.94 but did not settle at that price. I meant what I wrote.
    You're looking at something wrong. AAPL closed at $301.19 in after hours trading. That was the high of the day.
    There was a very brief price spike. I was watching when it happened.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    gotwakegotwake Posts: 115member
    mknelson said:
    I just wish I could recall the name of the investment advisor who tried to talk me out of buying shares in the spring of 2009.

It's funny probably 10 years ago, I had a call from my assigned TD Ameritrade advisor.  He just wanted to talk and informed me that I was overweight in aapl and should diversify.  I asked him did he know why I went with TD Ameritrade where we trade on our own versus getting someone to manage my money.  Him - I don't know. Me - Because I didn't want or need anyone telling me how to invest my money.  He didn't bother me anymore.  I think I've done okay. ;)
    Soli
  • Reply 28 of 42
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    gotwake said:
    mknelson said:

It's funny probably 10 years ago, I had a call from my assigned TD Ameritrade advisor.  He just wanted to talk and informed me that I was overweight in aapl and should diversify.  I asked him did he know why I went with TD Ameritrade where we trade on our own versus getting someone to manage my money.  Him - I don't know. Me - Because I didn't want or need anyone telling me how to invest my money.  He didn't bother me anymore.  I think I've done okay. ;)
    I got a vm from someone at TD Ameritrade and guessed that this is what they wanted to talk about. I didn't call them back. Scottrade before them did the same, some toolbox called me and said I was too heavy in tech, I said "so what?" and he he didn't have much to say, so I was like "I don't know if you want me to buy managed services, but I don't want them" and wished him well. ¯\(°_o)/¯ 

Hell, if I had completely ignored my UBS rep back in the day and not put a good chunk of my IRAs in a couple index fund and dumped them into AAPL instead, I'd be waaaaaaay better off right now. Not that anyone knows anything for sure, but that was also the guy who tried to sell me on QCOM over AAPL and I put a little into that for fun, only to watch it shoot up and then drop way below purchase price for a couple years I think before it came back up over and I sold the remainder. These people don't know shit.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Incidentally, Mel Gross... you’re probably doing cartwheels by now.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Isn’t this just a good news spike re the China trade deal?
  • Reply 31 of 42
    gotwake said:
    mknelson said:

Diversification is very important when investing in the stock market. And given the stock market’s history...it’s only a matter of time before AAPL tanks again when investors start selling to rake in the profits.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    I will pass on speculation that Apple is overvalued, but the market certainly is and we are way late in the business cycle that started in 2009.

At some point there will be a correction and I am expecting a sharp one. In such a market good stocks get dumped to cover margin calls and Apple is widely owned. That could present a buying opportunity for those wishing to accumulate Apple stock.

I have not sold my holdings, but am not buying new shares. I am taking dividends and investment cash and putting it safe defensive positions and am a long term hold on everything I own.

I only wish I had bought more Apple stock 20 years ago like most people invested then.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    I'm in AAPL for the long haul so I don't care about these short term ebbs and flows, but I would like to stay up for another quarter so that it affects the likely dividend payout which usually changes after 4 quarters with this month's announcements being the 4th in the cycle (assuming the pattern continues). I'd also like to see a large, one-time payout like they had back in 2014. Right now the dividends are paying out a little over 1% per share, which is considerably lower than my other stocks.

gotwake said:
    mknelson said:

gotwake said:
    mknelson said:

I got a vm from someone at TD Ameritrade and guessed that this is what they wanted to talk about. I didn't call them back. Scottrade before them did the same, some toolbox called me and said I was too heavy in tech, I said "so what?" and he he didn't have much to say, so I was like "I don't know if you want me to buy managed services, but I don't want them" and wished him well. ¯\(°_o)/¯ 

Hell, if I had completely ignored my UBS rep back in the day and not put a good chunk of my IRAs in a couple index fund and dumped them into AAPL instead, I'd be waaaaaaay better off right now. Not that anyone knows anything for sure, but that was also the guy who tried to sell me on QCOM over AAPL and I put a little into that for fun, only to watch it shoot up and then drop way below purchase price for a couple years I think before it came back up over and I sold the remainder. These people don't know shit.
    I've been there. I've even considered leaving because of those calls but I know see the exchange come in and I ignore them. I absolutely do not listen to these people that solicit me to gamble with my money.

I never had to pay wisen I moved from a typical broker to one that started online, but I see that AmeriTrade started doing free trades late last year. That said, I still recommend Robinhood for newbies because of its simplicity, ease of use, and clean iOS app. Something like AmeriTrade would seem overwhelming to a new investor.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 34 of 42
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    sjworld said:
    gotwake said:
    mknelson said:

Diversification is very important when investing in the stock market. And given the stock market’s history...it’s only a matter of time before AAPL tanks again when investors start selling to rake in the profits.
    Yeah and the sun will cool one day, too. 

Meanwhile:

And

fastasleep
  • Reply 35 of 42
    sjworld said:
    gotwake said:
    mknelson said:

Meanwhile:

And

That’s literally how almost every company’s chart looks like, and you clearly didn’t understand what I said. Reading comprehension, get some.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    sjworld said:
    sjworld said:
    gotwake said:
    mknelson said:

Meanwhile:

And

That’s literally how almost every company’s chart looks like, and you clearly didn’t understand what I said. Reading comprehension, get some.
    I have a diverse portfolio and nothing I own has come close to consistently growing as much. In that first graph it shows 2010 where AAPL started off the year at 29 and now sits at 300. That doubling its original 2010 value every year. If that had happened to all my stocks I'd be on the Forbes list of the world's richest people. What you claim in your anti-Apple comments is not at all common.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Soli said:
    sjworld said:
    sjworld said:
    gotwake said:
    mknelson said:

Meanwhile:

And

I have a diverse portfolio and nothing I own has come close to consistently growing as much. In that first graph it shows 2010 where AAPL started off the year at 29 and now sits at 300. That doubling its original 2010 value every year. If that had happened to all my stocks I'd be on the Forbes list of the world's richest people. What you claim in your anti-Apple comments is not at all common.
    If you can’t see the dips (which is what I’m talking about) after every rally, then you’re just retarded.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    sjworld said:
    Soli said:
    sjworld said:
    sjworld said:
    gotwake said:
    mknelson said:

Meanwhile:

And

If you can’t see the dips (which is what I’m talking about) after every rally, then you’re just retarded.
    1) You didn't say dips, you said tanks. If your comment was merely noting that stock prices go up and down then it’s a pointless statement.

2) Ad hominems are not allowed on this forum and  that’s also a term you’re best not to use in general. But you do, especially when you feel threatened by facts, data, and charts.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 39 of 42
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    sjworld said:
    Soli said:
    sjworld said:
    sjworld said:
    gotwake said:
    mknelson said:

Meanwhile:

And

I think you failed to see that for every dips it goes even higher - much much higher - than previous height.
    SoliSpamSandwich
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Apparently Wall Street and investors agree with the firing of Jony Ive, and that Apple will do better without him. Gratifying to see all the (positive) changes that transpired on the heels of Jony ‚leaving‘. This is just the beginning.... watch iPhone sales rebound massively once they bring back a (software based) Home Button and TouchID.