Swallowed AirPod sends 7-year-old to emergency room

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    If I was the kid I would actually want to fire up that sucker and see if my stomach (and later my ass) could play music 🎼
    edited January 2020 JFC_PAmacguinetmage
  • Reply 22 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    MplsP said:
    Ignoring judgements about whether iPods are an appropriate gift for a 7 year old, you shouldn't have to worry about a 7 year old swallowing stuff!
    The answer is to superglue them in obviously. /kidding
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 57
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    MplsP said:
    Ignoring judgements about whether iPods are an appropriate gift for a 7 year old, you shouldn't have to worry about a 7 year old swallowing stuff!
    Well, when you have adults shoving gerbils up their asses you gotta wonder.
    zroger73Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 57
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    gordoncy said:
    No doubt it will pass, but are the doctors aware that it contains a deadly 93 milliwatt hour battery, which can burn a hole in the stomach if it melts. E.g. Toddler, 2, swallowed a battery which burned a hole in his throat and left him unable to eat https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3442518/Toddler-2-swallowed-battery-burned-hole-throat-left-unable-eat.html
    His got stuck in his throat and button batteries have direct contact w/ saliva, "creating an electrical current which causes a build-up of caustic soda". The AP battery is pretty well sealed up, some have even gone thru the wash without damage. And his got to his stomach. I wouldn't encourage eating them, but I wouldn't doubt the doc's expectation that it will pass.
    edited January 2020 ronnCloudTalkinRayz2016bb-15netmage
  • Reply 25 of 57
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Was that image provided by the “Find My” app?  AMAZING!

If they let it pass, would they have to provide it to the tech for AppleCare+ replacement?
    zroger73watto_cobraGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 26 of 57
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    sflocal said:
    Stroud hopes that other parents will be cautious when giving AirPods to their kids, as she never anticipated her son would swallow the AirPod.
    Absolutely worst case of entitled parenting.  What the heck are parents doing by giving 7-year-olds such expensive, elaborate gifts?  I tell you... kids nowadays (and their parents) are what's wrong with society.

When I was seven, I was happy just playing outside in the dirt.
    I wondered if the 2nd grade is a little young for AirPods, but it's weird to claim this is 'entitlement." I've given away much more expensive items to children simply because I no longer needed them. Why is it so hard to believe that the AirPods were a hand me down because they got new headphones or because the AirPods didn't fit right with the original (adult) owner? The only option you see to claim that the child is entitled? 🤦‍♂️
    CloudTalkinGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 27 of 57
    DAalseth said:
    Seven year olds regularly lose their coat, backpack or lunch bag. WTF are they doing giving him Airpods that ADULTS regularly lose. He wants to listen to music, there are a lot of Cheap wired earbuds. Even if you want bluetooth, give him a pair of cheap Knockoff beats that have a line connecting them. Don’t worry about sound quality, at that age they can’t tell good from bad. 
    Are AirPods water (saliva) proof ? .. the fact that he had it in his mouth suggests a fit-for-purpose issue with respect to a 7 year old. I picture an Apple store employee looking at the teeth marks down the AirPods as parent / child put forward a case for them being defective. The doctor at emergency didn't know what an AirPod was ? .. how demeaning for Apple :D
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 28 of 57
    sflocal said:
    Stroud hopes that other parents will be cautious when giving AirPods to their kids, as she never anticipated her son would swallow the AirPod.
    Absolutely worst case of entitled parenting.  What the heck are parents doing by giving 7-year-olds such expensive, elaborate gifts?  I tell you... kids nowadays (and their parents) are what's wrong with society.

Me too, an empty can of sardines are my truck toys....and yes I can never swallowed that....;-))
  • Reply 29 of 57
    Some people will do anything to get black Airpods....
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Maybe they should revive warning from a vintage product’s guide: 

seanismorriswatto_cobraStrangeDaysnetmage
  • Reply 31 of 57
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    I remember back in the day and playing music in my room and my parents yelling at the top of their lungs to "turn that CRAP down"... ;)

That was after walking home from school in 3 feet of snow...
    edited January 2020 watto_cobrajmc54
  • Reply 32 of 57
    "The doctor at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egelston didn't know what an AirPod was, and was said it was a unique case." ...said the doctor that I would never, ever take my kid to.

Search for "swallow AirPod" on the Internets. There are many, many, many cases of this.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 57
    apple ][ said:
    I wonder which new iPhone the 7 year old got?

Brand new airpods and an iPhone for a 7 year old kid does seem a tad much to be honest, regardless of how well off the parents might or might not be. Most adults dont even get that good of an Xmas present I bet. Nobody bought me an iPhone for Xmas, not that I need a new iPhone.

I think that technology in general is great, and Ive probably said this before, but too much tech makes certain kids dumb, as they tend to overly rely on things like their phone, without ever having learned basic skills. I see evidence of this all of the time.

Airpods should probably not be given to people who do not know that Airpods belong in the ears and not in the mouth.

And under what rock has the doctor been living to never have heard of Airpods before?  Even if somebody is not an Apple user, Airpods can be seen everywhere. I cant step outside for 2 minutes without running into somebody wearing a pair.

I dont have a 7 year old kid, but if I did, then they should not expect any Airpods from me for Xmas, not because Im cheap, but because thats how I would raise my kids. And they wouldnt be getting any iPhone from me either or any phone at all when they were just 7.

My kids would be raised smart and I wouldnt be contributing to the idiocrafication of society. Thats probably not a real word, but I dont care.

Next Christmas, ask for some apostrophes and a grammar book.
    fred1watto_cobraMacPronetmage
  • Reply 34 of 57
    I have a feeling this kid is going to end up with more AirPods than he has orifices to insert them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 57
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,251member
    lkrupp said:
    MplsP said:
    Well, when you have adults shoving gerbils up their asses you gotta wonder.
    Thankfully Apple worked in conjunction with Corning to develop a gerbil claw-scratch resistant coating for the Air Pods. 
    edited January 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 57
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Times change. AirPods, iPhones, iPads, xboxes, etc are normal gives now. Just like walkmans or blue rays were at one point.at one point we all got something that old people said “when I was a kid” 
    GeorgeBMacnetmage
  • Reply 37 of 57
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    sflocal said:

In the dirt! Privilege! When I was seven, I would only dream of being able to play in Teh Dirt! 
    Why, when I was seven, after working 27 hours nine days a week in teh old Satanic Mill cleaning teh factory floor with my tongue, I would get home at teh start of tomorrow for my nightly whipping with teh leather belt off ma ol’ Pater, before bein’ allowed to eat a bit of regurgitated gravel which I might get five minutes teh play wif before bein’ sent to bed in the cardboard box I shared wit ma sistas.  

Dirt! Privilege is wot it is!
    edited January 2020 netmage
  • Reply 38 of 57
    DrummerladDrummerlad Posts: 20unconfirmed, member
    I think they should go through all the fecal matter, find the AirPod, and test it.  If it still works, a whole new marketing strategy!   Can pass through a human and still work!   :D
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 57
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,251member
    idrey said:
    Times change. AirPods, iPhones, iPads, xboxes, etc are normal gives now. Just like walkmans or blue rays were at one point.at one point we all got something that old people said “when I was a kid” 
    Well, I did get a Commodore 64 when I was twelve in 1984, which was probably pretty expensive back then. I remember having to do months of chores to save up enough for the 1541 floppy drive. Good times. Now you can download Virtual 64 on a Mac and run all those old programs again. 

edited January 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 57
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    Well, at least its location can be tracked from end to end - find my AirPods. 
    sdw2001coolfactorwatto_cobra