Apple chip partner TSMC to start 5nm 'A14' production in mid-2020

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    So, what is the benefit of a 200+mph car if the speed limit is 65?

Isn't Apple still installing the A10 (from September, 2016) in new products today in 2020?   Don't they work (for 95% of users) just fine?
    Which new products are those? The Apple TV maybe? Or iPads meant as consumption devices as opposed to the productivity-focused iPad Pro?

Also it isn't just about speed anyway. With each nanometer size reduction you get a proportional increase in efficiency. Meaning less power used and less overheating in the power that does get used (remember that Apple underclocking controversy from a couple years back to prevent overheating ... not to mention the exploding Samsung Galaxy Note 7)? 

Now your more cost-effective iPads aren't going to be used for CPU-intensive work anyway ... just Netflix, Apple Arcade, Apple Music etc. And heat/efficiency issues aren't a big deal because the device size is much bigger, as is the battery. Even more so with Apple TV, which will be constantly plugged in, used exclusively as a consumption device and won't even have to drive its own screen. (Now an argument could be made for putting the top of the line SOC in an Apple TV in order to give it gaming horsepower comparable to an XBox Slim or especially a Nintendo Switch ... but that would require Apple to get serious about gaming which they haven't been for 25 years.) 

Circling back around ... you do realize that an SOC with the same clocked speed but uses less power and runs cooler will run faster than the more power hungry SOC that runs hotter in real world application use, right? Put the two devices next to each other and start opening Chrome tabs, especially the ones with a lot of Javascript that auto-play videos. Guess which one will start running its fan - and then stuttering and lagging - before the other? Exactly. 
  • Reply 22 of 61
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Rayz2016 said:

Isn't Apple still installing the A10 (from September, 2016) in new products today in 2020?   Don't they work (for 95% of users) just fine?
    Yup, they should just stop pushing the envelope, sit back and coast. 

🙄

So you avoided answering the question with snark.   Ok.   I guess we got your answer.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    Fatman said:

George, There is no limit. I don't want to pick on you but if everyone had that type of attitude we would still be riding horse and carriages on dirt roads - why would you want to travel any faster? There's no possibility people could ever fly from one place to another, let alone to the moon or Mars! 99% of users are consumers - not creators and inventors. They don't dream, they don't create, they stay in their comfort zone.

This is where people like Elon Musk and Steve Jobs are needed, visionaries and dreamers, those that push the envelope, that ignore the 99%, and don't give a shxt about what others think of them. Bill Gates once said who will ever need more than 640K in a personal computer - we all know he is a fool (and buddy of Jeffrey Epstein). Microsoft has held back technology innovation for decades, Intel as well. If you want to hear a visionary and futurist speak about really cool, unbelievable stuff then watch interviews with Ray Kurzweil -- you will begin to feel that tech is not moving fast enough.

Sorry, but there is a limit.   When you tap the screen and it responds instantly is there faster than instant?   And, if you want to measure response time in nano-seconds, does the difference matter?   The answer to both is, No!
  • Reply 24 of 61
    crowley said:

Where's this speed limit coming from?

Plus, it's not all about speed.  Power performance, size, interfaces, all of them make for a better product.

Looks like the other 2 commenters misunderstood GeorgeBMac's post and you seem to have asked the right question. The speed limit that George talks about is coming from the software which is being run on the hardware. The software has NOT developed as much as hardware in the last 10 years, to the point where further development in hardware looks redundant, at least in the short term.

I am just guessing here, may be George can clarify if my assumption is correct.

You are absolutely correct!
    The analogy also lies in laptops where processors in older machines are perfectly adequate for 95% of most uses today.

Large increases in processing power no longer produce equally large increases in functionality.  For most users and most functions, those increases are now mostly just marketing -- not entirely, but mostly.

Or, to put it more simply:   How much difference does an A13 make for browsing FaceBook?  It is many times faster than, say, an A10 -- but that simply does not produce much difference from the user's perspective.

Yes, I stand by my analogy that a 200+mph car offers little advantage to the average driver.  The advantage is more psychological than physical.

• Reply 25 of 61
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

Faster CPUs benefit everyone because faster generally means tasks finish in less time saving battery. The way modern SOCs work is they shut off parts of the SOC that are idle. The quicker you get to idle, the better for battery life. So older devices are probably plenty fast for most users but most users would prefer the long battery life of the iPhone 11 over the iPhone 7. 
    I've tried addressing that in the past when people say "the iPhone needs a bigger battery!" when what they really want is more battery life.

While that statement is absolutely correct, iPhone 11 Pro Max has the longest battery life because Apple has put the biggest battery ever in an iPhone. So, battery capacity also plays a significant role in battery life of the phone and iPhone 11 Pro Max is the classic example of people getting what they wanted from Apple.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

Faster CPUs benefit everyone because faster generally means tasks finish in less time saving battery. The way modern SOCs work is they shut off parts of the SOC that are idle. The quicker you get to idle, the better for battery life. So older devices are probably plenty fast for most users but most users would prefer the long battery life of the iPhone 11 over the iPhone 7. 
    I've tried addressing that in the past when people say "the iPhone needs a bigger battery!" when what they really want is more battery life.

While that statement is absolutely correct, iPhone 11 Pro Max has the longest battery life because Apple has put the biggest battery ever in an iPhone. So, battery capacity also plays a significant role in battery life of the phone and iPhone 11 Pro Max is the classic example of people getting what they wanted from Apple.
    Again, my statement doesn’t preclude the inclusion of a larger battery.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

The point is that it doesn't matter what the absolute most correct terminology is in this case. A bigger battery, all other things not changing too much, will normally mean longer battery life. People speak in general terms too and common sense should tell us what they are getting at.

We also say 'LCD display' and no one bats an eyelid because it's common usage.

We also take a 'faster processor' to mean 'more speed' - generally speaking - when we know that doesn't always mean things get done 'faster'.

Until battery technology itself suffers a radical change, a bigger battery, will probably equate to more battery life anyway, most things being similar, from one iPhone to the next.

We only have to look a smidgen beyond the wording 'bigger battery' to understand that what is really meant is a 'longer battery life'.

It is a pretty common way of referring to the point after all. In spite if it being technically incorrect most of the time.

GeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 61
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

The point is that it doesn't matter what the absolute most correct terminology is in this case. A bigger battery, all other things not changing too much, will normally mean longer battery life. People speak in general terms too and common sense should tell us what they are getting at.

We also take a 'faster processor' to mean 'more speed' - generally speaking - when we know that doesn't always mean things get done 'faster'.

Until battery technology itself suffers a radical change, a bigger battery, will probably equate to more battery life anyway, most things being similar, from one iPhone to the next.

We only have to look a smidgen beyond the wording 'bigger battery' to understand that what is really meant is a 'longer battery life'.

It is a pretty common way of referring to the point after all. In spite if it being technically incorrect most of the time.
    As usual, you're wrong. Well, you're right it's not about terminology, but I'm not talking about the term being used, I'm talking about perspective. You, as a hater of Apple and lover of Chinese knockoff brands can't possibly understand that so I won't bother explaining it to you.
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 29 of 61
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

As usual, you're wrong. Well, you're right it's not about terminology, but I'm not talking about the term being used, I'm talking about perspective. You, as a hater of Apple and lover of Chinese knockoff brands can't possibly understand that so I won't bother explaining it to you.

So,apparently,  when you're wrong you attempt to demean others.   Does that make you feel better?
    BTW, I have never seen Avon unfairly criticize Apple.  And if, by "Chinese knockoff brands" you mean Huawei, you should know that they are world's leader in telecommunications and it is others who are trying to copy them.  Your propaganda induced hatred of China and all that is Chinese doesn't change reality.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

So,apparently,  when you're wrong you attempt to demean others.   Does that make you feel better?
    BTW, I have never seen Avon unfairly criticize Apple.  And if, by "Chinese knockoff brands" you mean Huawei, you should know that they are world's leader in telecommunications and it is others who are trying to copy them.  Your propaganda induced hatred of China and all that is Chinese doesn't change reality.
    1) If I'm wrong then show me where I claimed that more battery life cannot include a larger battery.

2) Your defense of Huawei is reprehensible and it only started after Trump decided to go after China, which pushed you to blindly support the worst coming out of China. Independent sources found evidence against Huawei, not Trump. Trump's focus is on illegally winning an election, yours should be seeing what's going on, not simply doing the opposite of Trump. You gonna show us your favorite TikTok video anytime soon?

PS: Let's keep in mind that this is the thread that you questioned having faster and more efficient system in Apple devices. I was going to ignore it because others had responding properly over and over again, but GODDAMN!

GeorgeBMac said:

edited January 2020
  • Reply 31 of 61
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

1) If I'm wrong then show me where I claimed that more battery life cannot include a larger battery.

2) Your defense of Huawei is reprehensible and it only started after Trump decided to go after China, which pushed you to blindly support the worst coming out of China. Independent sources found evidence against Huawei, not Trump. Trump's focus is on illegally winning an election, yours should be seeing what's going on, not simply doing the opposite of Trump. You gonna show us your favorite TikTok video anytime soon?

PS: Let's keep in mind that this is the thread that you questioned having faster and more efficient system in Apple devices. I was going to ignore it because others had responding properly over and over again, but GODDAMN!

GeorgeBMac said:

LOL... Before Trump decided to use Huawei as leverage in his Trade War and his Cold War with China there was no problem with Huawei.   And, even today, most of the rest of the world, despite intense pressure from Trump, still have no problem with Huawei or China -- because, when they asked Trump for proof of his allegations all he had was his Twitter feed.

Trump should not have attacked either Iran or China.   He doing it simply to have fodder for his cult.

• Reply 32 of 61
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

GeorgeBMac said:

LOL... Before Trump decided to use Huawei as leverage in his Trade War and his Cold War with China there was no problem with Huawei.   And, even today, most of the rest of the world, despite intense pressure from Trump, still have no problem with Huawei or China -- because, when they asked Trump for proof of his allegations all he had was his Twitter feed.

Trump should not have attacked either Iran or China.   He doing it simply to have fodder for his cult.
    Again, and more blunt, just because there are an atypically high number of incels on this forum who want to be Trump's cock holster, that doesn't mean you should counter as the cock holster for Chinese spies.

Also again, the US was neither the first nor the only country (or company) to have concerns about Huawei.

• Reply 33 of 61
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

GeorgeBMac said:

Again, and more blunt, just because there are an atypically high number of incels on this forum who want to be Trump's cock holster, that doesn't mean you should counter as the cock holster for Chinese spies.

Also again, the US was neither the first nor the only country (or company) to have concerns about Huawei.

'Concerns' should be supported with 'evidence'. There is none. Any evidence would be a literal kill pill for Huawei.

Instant death.

It should be the easiest card to play and so, one has to ask, why hasn't Trump played it?

A decade of accusations and still nothing.

That's all you need to understand.

As for concerns, believe me, the entire world is concerned about the NSA et tal and is acting on it. Concerned because the evidence is out there already. Just ask Merkel.

And as for this:

Well, that was never the point in the first place, was it?

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 34 of 61
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

GeorgeBMac said:

"LOL... Before Trump decided to use Huawei as leverage in his Trade War and his Cold War with China there was no problem with Huawei"

That's a completely false statement;

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3427998/huawei-controversies-timeline.html

March - US carriers agree to block Huawei deals

Before Sprint Nextel was acquired by Japanese conglomerate SoftBank, the two entities agreed not to use technology from Huawei.

Michigan Republican Mike Rogers, said: "I am pleased with their mitigation plans, but will continue to look for opportunities to improve the government's existing authorities to thoroughly review all the national security aspects of proposed transactions."

April - Eric Xu: Huawei no longer interested in US market

Eric Xu, who is now one of three rotating chairmen of the company retorted in an analyst call that Huawei is no longer interested in the US market. It followed statements from telcos like Sprint Nextel, as well as the Japanese conglomerate Softbank that acquired Sprint Nextel, that they wouldn't use Huawei technology.

July - UK finds Huawei staff auditing equipment instead of government's

Led by Malcolm Rifkind, a report from Parliament's Intelligence and Security Committee called Foreign Involvement in the Critical National Infrastructure found that it was Huawei staff who were scrutinising the company's technology for security holes rather than GCHQ.

July - Former CIA head Michael Hayden slams Huawei

Speaking with the Australia Financial View, Hayden, who had previously headed both the CIA and the NSA, described Huawei as an "unambiguous national security threat to the US and Australia".

He said that when Huawei was attempting to enter the American market, they were courting figures such as Hayden.

"I reviewed Huawei's briefing paper," Hayden said. "But God did not make enough slides on Huawei to convince me that having them involved in our critical communications infrastructure was going to be OK."

Soli
  • Reply 35 of 61

avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

GeorgeBMac said:

'Concerns' should be supported with 'evidence'. There is none. Any evidence would be a literal kill pill for Huawei.

Instant death.

It should be the easiest card to play and so, one has to ask, why hasn't Trump played it?

As for concerns, believe me, the entire world is concerned about the NSA et tal and is acting on it. Concerned because the evidence is out there already. Just ask Merkel.

And as for this:

National Security concerns do not require any public evidence at all, but common sense would acknowledge that any Western Democracy should not employ critical infrastructure sourced from any Authoritarian government, especially from Mainland China, known for its fear of "freedom" cooties from the West, hence the "Great Firewall".

Here's an example of CCP thinking;

https://norwaytoday.info/news/chinese-skiers-want-book-removed-from-meraker-library/

"Leaders of a delegation of skiers from China wanted a controversial Chinese book at the library in Meråker removed but the library has strongly rejected such a request.

We have freedom of speech in Norway so that was completely out of the question,” said library manager Anne Marken in Meråker to Adresseavisen.

More than 40 Chinese cross-country talents with 15 coaches and managers are in Meråker to train for the Beijing Olympics in 2022. The training programme is a collaboration between Norway and China.

Adresseavisen reports that in recent weeks there have been three incidents concerning Chinese literature at the library in Meråker. Among the books the delegation wanted removed is one about the Falun Gong movement that has been banned in China since 1999.

“We have had three different inquiries from individuals who have asked us to remove that book. Two to three other books are also mentioned from our  collection. They have said that if any of the Chinese skiers are caught with these books, they are afraid that they would risk being sent to labor camp or prison in China,” Marken told the newspaper.

“I have said that the books in the library are open to them. We cannot remove the contents of the library because of such requests,” she said.

Chinese books from Deichman in Oslo have been sent to the library because of the large Chinese delegation in the municipality.

• Reply 36 of 61
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

GeorgeBMac said:

Instant death.

And as for this:

National Security concerns do not require any public evidence at all, but common sense would acknowledge that any Western Democracy should not employ critical infrastructure sourced from any Authoritarian government, especially from Mainland China, known for its fear of "freedom" cooties from the West, hence the "Great Firewall".

https://norwaytoday.info/news/chinese-skiers-want-book-removed-from-meraker-library/

"Leaders of a delegation of skiers from China wanted a controversial Chinese book at the library in Meråker removed but the library has strongly rejected such a request.

We have freedom of speech in Norway so that was completely out of the question,” said library manager Anne Marken in Meråker to Adresseavisen.

More than 40 Chinese cross-country talents with 15 coaches and managers are in Meråker to train for the Beijing Olympics in 2022. The training programme is a collaboration between Norway and China.

Adresseavisen reports that in recent weeks there have been three incidents concerning Chinese literature at the library in Meråker. Among the books the delegation wanted removed is one about the Falun Gong movement that has been banned in China since 1999.

“We have had three different inquiries from individuals who have asked us to remove that book. Two to three other books are also mentioned from our  collection. They have said that if any of the Chinese skiers are caught with these books, they are afraid that they would risk being sent to labor camp or prison in China,” Marken told the newspaper.

“I have said that the books in the library are open to them. We cannot remove the contents of the library because of such requests,” she said.

Chinese books from Deichman in Oslo have been sent to the library because of the large Chinese delegation in the municipality.

I hope you realise that Huawei gear has been used worldwide in critical infrastructure for years.

On top of that Huawei has laid literally thousands of kilometres of undersea communications cabling, has an enormous role in smart solar inverters, aviation division and a very long etc.

There has not been one single major security problem in all this time.

The equipment isn't sourced from any government. It is sourced from Huawei!

Built in China and around the world - just like almost all the communications gear on the planet.

On the other hand Cisco has a virtually permanent listing of new backdoors being found and some pretty critical bugs!

I will add that Huawei plans to pump $40 billion into the EU for supplies and is currently carrying out a feasibility study for the possible construction of plants for manufacturing within the EU.

So, the U.S is going to lose billions in Huawei revenue. The EU and Asia will get that. The upshot is that U.S companies will lose out (massively) and have less influence. Manufacturing will be 'protected' and Taiwan and TSMC are very much part of the plan.

Huawei's HMS core just rolled out worldwide in preparation for a 'Googleless' future and all my Huawei data never leaves the EU. It is in Ireland.

I wonder if Trump really thought all this through. His actions are causing severe damage to U.S interests while Huawei has just reported millions more handset sales YoY along with record breaking revenues.

edited January 2020 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 37 of 61
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

GeorgeBMac said:

Instant death.

And as for this:

The Trumpettes LOVE authoritarian governments -- they seem to be seeking one here in the U.S. as well.   But that has no bearing on security though -- it just gives the syncophants a talking point.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

GeorgeBMac said:

Instant death.

And as for this:

The Trumpettes LOVE authoritarian governments -- they seem to be seeking one here in the U.S. as well.   But that has no bearing on security though -- it just gives the syncophants a talking point.
    Yet, you are so supportive of China, a recognized Authoritarian Government.
    Soli
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Intel should find something else to do. Perhaps they should start making shoes. At least they stay the same size year after year.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

GeorgeBMac said:

Instant death.

And as for this:

I hope you realise that Huawei gear has been used worldwide in critical infrastructure for years.

On top of that Huawei has laid literally thousands of kilometres of undersea communications cabling, has an enormous role in smart solar inverters, aviation division and a very long etc.

There has not been one single major security problem in all this time.

The equipment isn't sourced from any government. It is sourced from Huawei!

Built in China and around the world - just like almost all the communications gear on the planet.

On the other hand Cisco has a virtually permanent listing of new backdoors being found and some pretty critical bugs!

I will add that Huawei plans to pump $40 billion into the EU for supplies and is currently carrying out a feasibility study for the possible construction of plants for manufacturing within the EU.

So, the U.S is going to lose billions in Huawei revenue. The EU and Asia will get that. The upshot is that U.S companies will lose out (massively) and have less influence. Manufacturing will be 'protected' and Taiwan and TSMC are very much part of the plan.

Huawei's HMS core just rolled out worldwide in preparation for a 'Googleless' future and all my Huawei data never leaves the EU. It is in Ireland.

I wonder if Trump really thought all this through. His actions are causing severe damage to U.S interests while Huawei has just reported millions more handset sales YoY along with record breaking revenues.

OT

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2020/01/03/samsung-sells-67-million-5g-mobiles-2019-smartphone-sales-pick/

and,

https://www.techradar.com/news/samsung-says-it-made-over-half-of-all-the-5g-phones-sold-in-2019

Looks like not only that Apple isn't late to the party, but the party hasn't taken off yet if Samsung has only sold 6.7 Million and is 54% of the market in 2019.

5G, overhype...

edited January 2020