avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:
    So, what is the benefit of a 200+mph car if the speed limit is 65?

Isn't Apple still installing the A10 (from September, 2016) in new products today in 2020?   Don't they work (for 95% of users) just fine?
    Faster CPUs benefit everyone because faster generally means tasks finish in less time saving battery. The way modern SOCs work is they shut off parts of the SOC that are idle. The quicker you get to idle, the better for battery life. So older devices are probably plenty fast for most users but most users would prefer the long battery life of the iPhone 11 over the iPhone 7. 
    I've tried addressing that in the past when people say "the iPhone needs a bigger battery!" when what they really want is more battery life.

While that statement is absolutely correct, iPhone 11 Pro Max has the longest battery life because Apple has put the biggest battery ever in an iPhone. So, battery capacity also plays a significant role in battery life of the phone and iPhone 11 Pro Max is the classic example of people getting what they wanted from Apple.
    Again, my statement doesn’t preclude the inclusion of a larger battery.
    The point is that it doesn't matter what the absolute most correct terminology is in this case. A bigger battery, all other things not changing too much, will normally mean longer battery life. People speak in general terms too and common sense should tell us what they are getting at.

We also say 'LCD display' and no one bats an eyelid because it's common usage.

We also take a 'faster processor' to mean 'more speed' - generally speaking - when we know that doesn't always mean things get done 'faster'.

Until battery technology itself suffers a radical change, a bigger battery, will probably equate to more battery life anyway, most things being similar, from one iPhone to the next.

We only have to look a smidgen beyond the wording 'bigger battery' to understand that what is really meant is a 'longer battery life'.

It is a pretty common way of referring to the point after all. In spite if it being technically incorrect most of the time.
    As usual, you're wrong. Well, you're right it's not about terminology, but I'm not talking about the term being used, I'm talking about perspective. You, as a hater of Apple and lover of Chinese knockoff brands can't possibly understand that so I won't bother explaining it to you.

So,apparently,  when you're wrong you attempt to demean others.   Does that make you feel better?
    BTW, I have never seen Avon unfairly criticize Apple.  And if, by "Chinese knockoff brands" you mean Huawei, you should know that they are world's leader in telecommunications and it is others who are trying to copy them.  Your propaganda induced hatred of China and all that is Chinese doesn't change reality.
    1) If I'm wrong then show me where I claimed that more battery life cannot include a larger battery.

2) Your defense of Huawei is reprehensible and it only started after Trump decided to go after China, which pushed you to blindly support the worst coming out of China. Independent sources found evidence against Huawei, not Trump. Trump's focus is on illegally winning an election, yours should be seeing what's going on, not simply doing the opposite of Trump. You gonna show us your favorite TikTok video anytime soon?

PS: Let's keep in mind that this is the thread that you questioned having faster and more efficient system in Apple devices. I was going to ignore it because others had responding properly over and over again, but GODDAMN!

GeorgeBMac said:

Isn't Apple still installing the A10 (from September, 2016) in new products today in 2020?   Don't they work (for 95% of users) just fine?

LOL... Before Trump decided to use Huawei as leverage in his Trade War and his Cold War with China there was no problem with Huawei.   And, even today, most of the rest of the world, despite intense pressure from Trump, still have no problem with Huawei or China -- because, when they asked Trump for proof of his allegations all he had was his Twitter feed.

Trump should not have attacked either Iran or China.   He doing it simply to have fodder for his cult.
    Again, and more blunt, just because there are an atypically high number of incels on this forum who want to be Trump's cock holster, that doesn't mean you should counter as the cock holster for Chinese spies.

Also again, the US was neither the first nor the only country (or company) to have concerns about Huawei.

'Concerns' should be supported with 'evidence'. There is none. Any evidence would be a literal kill pill for Huawei.

Instant death.

It should be the easiest card to play and so, one has to ask, why hasn't Trump played it?

A decade of accusations and still nothing.

That's all you need to understand.

As for concerns, believe me, the entire world is concerned about the NSA et tal and is acting on it. Concerned because the evidence is out there already. Just ask Merkel.

And as for this:

1) If I'm wrong then show me where I claimed that more battery life cannot include a larger battery.

Well, that was never the point in the first place, was it?

National Security concerns do not require any public evidence at all, but common sense would acknowledge that any Western Democracy should not employ critical infrastructure sourced from any Authoritarian government, especially from Mainland China, known for its fear of "freedom" cooties from the West, hence the "Great Firewall".

Here's an example of CCP thinking;

https://norwaytoday.info/news/chinese-skiers-want-book-removed-from-meraker-library/

"Leaders of a delegation of skiers from China wanted a controversial Chinese book at the library in Meråker removed but the library has strongly rejected such a request.

We have freedom of speech in Norway so that was completely out of the question,” said library manager Anne Marken in Meråker to Adresseavisen.

More than 40 Chinese cross-country talents with 15 coaches and managers are in Meråker to train for the Beijing Olympics in 2022. The training programme is a collaboration between Norway and China.

Adresseavisen reports that in recent weeks there have been three incidents concerning Chinese literature at the library in Meråker. Among the books the delegation wanted removed is one about the Falun Gong movement that has been banned in China since 1999.

“We have had three different inquiries from individuals who have asked us to remove that book. Two to three other books are also mentioned from our  collection. They have said that if any of the Chinese skiers are caught with these books, they are afraid that they would risk being sent to labor camp or prison in China,” Marken told the newspaper.

“I have said that the books in the library are open to them. We cannot remove the contents of the library because of such requests,” she said.

Chinese books from Deichman in Oslo have been sent to the library because of the large Chinese delegation in the municipality.

I hope you realise that Huawei gear has been used worldwide in critical infrastructure for years.

On top of that Huawei has laid literally thousands of kilometres of undersea communications cabling, has an enormous role in smart solar inverters, aviation division and a very long etc.

There has not been one single major security problem in all this time.

The equipment isn't sourced from any government. It is sourced from Huawei!

Built in China and around the world - just like almost all the communications gear on the planet.

On the other hand Cisco has a virtually permanent listing of new backdoors being found and some pretty critical bugs!

I will add that Huawei plans to pump $40 billion into the EU for supplies and is currently carrying out a feasibility study for the possible construction of plants for manufacturing within the EU.

So, the U.S is going to lose billions in Huawei revenue. The EU and Asia will get that. The upshot is that U.S companies will lose out (massively) and have less influence. Manufacturing will be 'protected' and Taiwan and TSMC are very much part of the plan.

Huawei's HMS core just rolled out worldwide in preparation for a 'Googleless' future and all my Huawei data never leaves the EU. It is in Ireland.

I wonder if Trump really thought all this through. His actions are causing severe damage to U.S interests while Huawei has just reported millions more handset sales YoY along with record breaking revenues.

OT

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2020/01/03/samsung-sells-67-million-5g-mobiles-2019-smartphone-sales-pick/

and,

https://www.techradar.com/news/samsung-says-it-made-over-half-of-all-the-5g-phones-sold-in-2019

Looks like not only that Apple isn't late to the party, but the party hasn't taken off yet if Samsung has only sold 6.7 Million and is 54% of the market in 2019.

5G, overhype...

You need to re-read your own link.

5G is rolling out faster than anybody expected. The sales you are mentioning were almost six times higher than forecast.

Remember, we are talking about high end phones that have only been on the market for a few months.

Apple is late to the party. Scrambling to get a product to market and this year those 5G phones will hit the mid range segment too.

That obviously means sales will catapult.

September 2020 couldn't come fast enough for Apple.

Some are claiming that Huawei could sell 100 million 5G phones - in China alone - in 2020.

https://www.huaweicentral.com/huawei-to-sell-100-million-5g-smartphones-in-china-alone-says-analyst/

Party on!
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 42 of 61
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

Faster CPUs benefit everyone because faster generally means tasks finish in less time saving battery. The way modern SOCs work is they shut off parts of the SOC that are idle. The quicker you get to idle, the better for battery life. So older devices are probably plenty fast for most users but most users would prefer the long battery life of the iPhone 11 over the iPhone 7. 
    I've tried addressing that in the past when people say "the iPhone needs a bigger battery!" when what they really want is more battery life.

While that statement is absolutely correct, iPhone 11 Pro Max has the longest battery life because Apple has put the biggest battery ever in an iPhone. So, battery capacity also plays a significant role in battery life of the phone and iPhone 11 Pro Max is the classic example of people getting what they wanted from Apple.
    The point is that it doesn't matter what the absolute most correct terminology is in this case. A bigger battery, all other things not changing too much, will normally mean longer battery life. People speak in general terms too and common sense should tell us what they are getting at.

We also take a 'faster processor' to mean 'more speed' - generally speaking - when we know that doesn't always mean things get done 'faster'.

Until battery technology itself suffers a radical change, a bigger battery, will probably equate to more battery life anyway, most things being similar, from one iPhone to the next.

We only have to look a smidgen beyond the wording 'bigger battery' to understand that what is really meant is a 'longer battery life'.

It is a pretty common way of referring to the point after all. In spite if it being technically incorrect most of the time.
    As usual, you're wrong. Well, you're right it's not about terminology, but I'm not talking about the term being used, I'm talking about perspective. You, as a hater of Apple and lover of Chinese knockoff brands can't possibly understand that so I won't bother explaining it to you.

So,apparently,  when you're wrong you attempt to demean others.   Does that make you feel better?
    BTW, I have never seen Avon unfairly criticize Apple.  And if, by "Chinese knockoff brands" you mean Huawei, you should know that they are world's leader in telecommunications and it is others who are trying to copy them.  Your propaganda induced hatred of China and all that is Chinese doesn't change reality.

2) Your defense of Huawei is reprehensible and it only started after Trump decided to go after China, which pushed you to blindly support the worst coming out of China. Independent sources found evidence against Huawei, not Trump. Trump's focus is on illegally winning an election, yours should be seeing what's going on, not simply doing the opposite of Trump. You gonna show us your favorite TikTok video anytime soon?

PS: Let's keep in mind that this is the thread that you questioned having faster and more efficient system in Apple devices. I was going to ignore it because others had responding properly over and over again, but GODDAMN!

GeorgeBMac said:

LOL... Before Trump decided to use Huawei as leverage in his Trade War and his Cold War with China there was no problem with Huawei.   And, even today, most of the rest of the world, despite intense pressure from Trump, still have no problem with Huawei or China -- because, when they asked Trump for proof of his allegations all he had was his Twitter feed.

Trump should not have attacked either Iran or China.   He doing it simply to have fodder for his cult.
    Again, and more blunt, just because there are an atypically high number of incels on this forum who want to be Trump's cock holster, that doesn't mean you should counter as the cock holster for Chinese spies.

Also again, the US was neither the first nor the only country (or company) to have concerns about Huawei.

'Concerns' should be supported with 'evidence'. There is none. Any evidence would be a literal kill pill for Huawei.

Instant death.

It should be the easiest card to play and so, one has to ask, why hasn't Trump played it?

As for concerns, believe me, the entire world is concerned about the NSA et tal and is acting on it. Concerned because the evidence is out there already. Just ask Merkel.

And as for this:

National Security concerns do not require any public evidence at all, but common sense would acknowledge that any Western Democracy should not employ critical infrastructure sourced from any Authoritarian government, especially from Mainland China, known for its fear of "freedom" cooties from the West, hence the "Great Firewall".

https://norwaytoday.info/news/chinese-skiers-want-book-removed-from-meraker-library/

"Leaders of a delegation of skiers from China wanted a controversial Chinese book at the library in Meråker removed but the library has strongly rejected such a request.

We have freedom of speech in Norway so that was completely out of the question,” said library manager Anne Marken in Meråker to Adresseavisen.

More than 40 Chinese cross-country talents with 15 coaches and managers are in Meråker to train for the Beijing Olympics in 2022. The training programme is a collaboration between Norway and China.

Adresseavisen reports that in recent weeks there have been three incidents concerning Chinese literature at the library in Meråker. Among the books the delegation wanted removed is one about the Falun Gong movement that has been banned in China since 1999.

“We have had three different inquiries from individuals who have asked us to remove that book. Two to three other books are also mentioned from our  collection. They have said that if any of the Chinese skiers are caught with these books, they are afraid that they would risk being sent to labor camp or prison in China,” Marken told the newspaper.

“I have said that the books in the library are open to them. We cannot remove the contents of the library because of such requests,” she said.

Chinese books from Deichman in Oslo have been sent to the library because of the large Chinese delegation in the municipality.

I hope you realise that Huawei gear has been used worldwide in critical infrastructure for years.

On top of that Huawei has laid literally thousands of kilometres of undersea communications cabling, has an enormous role in smart solar inverters, aviation division and a very long etc.

Built in China and around the world - just like almost all the communications gear on the planet.

On the other hand Cisco has a virtually permanent listing of new backdoors being found and some pretty critical bugs!

I will add that Huawei plans to pump $40 billion into the EU for supplies and is currently carrying out a feasibility study for the possible construction of plants for manufacturing within the EU.

So, the U.S is going to lose billions in Huawei revenue. The EU and Asia will get that. The upshot is that U.S companies will lose out (massively) and have less influence. Manufacturing will be 'protected' and Taiwan and TSMC are very much part of the plan.

Huawei's HMS core just rolled out worldwide in preparation for a 'Googleless' future and all my Huawei data never leaves the EU. It is in Ireland.

I wonder if Trump really thought all this through. His actions are causing severe damage to U.S interests while Huawei has just reported millions more handset sales YoY along with record breaking revenues.

OT

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2020/01/03/samsung-sells-67-million-5g-mobiles-2019-smartphone-sales-pick/

and,

https://www.techradar.com/news/samsung-says-it-made-over-half-of-all-the-5g-phones-sold-in-2019

Looks like not only that Apple isn't late to the party, but the party hasn't taken off yet if Samsung has only sold 6.7 Million and is 54% of the market in 2019.

5G, overhype...

5G is rolling out faster than anybody expected. The sales you are mentioning were almost six times higher than forecast.

Remember, we are talking about high end phones that have only been on the market for a few months.

Apple is late to the party. Scrambling to get a product to market and this year those 5G phones will hit the mid range segment too.

Some are claiming that Huawei could sell 100 million 5G phones - in China alone - in 2020.

https://www.huaweicentral.com/huawei-to-sell-100-million-5g-smartphones-in-china-alone-says-analyst/

Party on!
    Real numbers, all OEM's sold about 12.4 million units for the quarter, in a market that sells, on average, 375 million a quarter average.

Like I said, Apple isn't late to the party, which has been your claim, because the party hasn't really started yet. I'd argue, that party won't start until Qualcomm releases the X55 modem early this spring, which Apple will be using in the iPhone this fall.

How's your 5G phone working?

Oh wait, you don't have one yet either.

LOL!
    edited January 2020 Soli
  • Reply 43 of 61
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

GeorgeBMac said:

Instant death.

And as for this:

OT

and,

5G, overhype...

Party on!
    Real numbers, all OEM's sold about 12.4 million units for the quarter, in a market that sells, on average, 375 million a quarter average.

Like I said, Apple isn't late to the party, which has been your claim, because the party hasn't really started yet. I'd argue, that party won't start until Qualcomm releases the X55 modem early this spring, which Apple will be using in the iPhone this fall.

LOL!
    Why are you now ignoring what your own links are claiming?

Faster than expected roll out.

Higher than expected sales.

This isn't an instant, 'flip the switch' and everyone gets it' technology.

That makes comparing 5G phone sales to 4G sales an exercise in futility.

Apple is late to the party. The party has begun. Trying to deny that is also an exercise in futility

Me not having a 5G phone is irrelevant. I have no coverage where I live - at the moment.

What is relevant is sales relative to coverage.

My upgrade cycle opens long before September next year and my choice will depend on bang for buck and coverage. We'll see how things look then.

• Reply 44 of 61
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

GeorgeBMac said:

Instant death.

And as for this:

OT

and,

5G, overhype...

Party on!

LOL!

Apple is late to the party. The party has begun. Trying to deny that is also an exercise in futility

Me not having a 5G phone is irrelevant. I have no coverage where I live - at the moment.

My upgrade cycle opens long before September next year and my choice will depend on bang for buck and coverage. We'll see how things look then.

LOL...

Hype 5G in you is strong, muhmm...said baby Yoda...
  • Reply 45 of 61
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

GeorgeBMac said:

Instant death.

And as for this:

OT

and,

5G, overhype...

Party on!

LOL!

LOL...

You obviously haven't been reading what I said from the very beginning. 'Hype' (marketing) is going to play a very important roll throughout the year. In fact, it already is.

The thing is, and possibly precisely as a result of marketing, things seem to have taken off faster than anybody expected. But that is what marketing is there for anyway.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

GeorgeBMac said:

Instant death.

And as for this:

OT

and,

5G, overhype...

Party on!

LOL!

LOL...

You obviously haven't been reading what I said from the very beginning. 'Hype' (marketing) is going to play a very important roll throughout the year. In fact, it already is.

The thing is, and possibly precisely as a result of marketing, things seem to have taken off faster than anybody expected. But that is what marketing is there for anyway.
    Expectations must have been very, very, low if only some 12 million 5G phones were sold in 2019.

As I stated, Apple isn't late to the party, and arguably, the party doesn't even start until Qualcomm releases the X55 this spring. Come back with your hype then.
  • Reply 47 of 61
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    tmay said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

GeorgeBMac said:

Instant death.

And as for this:

The Trumpettes LOVE authoritarian governments -- they seem to be seeking one here in the U.S. as well.   But that has no bearing on security though -- it just gives the syncophants a talking point.
    Yet, you are so supportive of China, a recognized Authoritarian Government.

What form of government they choose is none of my (or your) business -- and it certainly does not impact the products they produce.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

GeorgeBMac said:

Instant death.

And as for this:

OT

and,

5G, overhype...

Party on!

LOL!
    Those trying to defend Apple's lateness to the 5G market (triggered by the fact they haven't had access to a 5G modem) conveniently ignore the fact that the question is not where or how prolific 5G transmitters are today, but where and how prolific will they be in the years to come. 

iPhones today are expected to last at least 4-5 years.   Even Apple has abandoned the 2 year life cycle by extending AppleCare+ out indefinitely.  
    So, only a fool would want to sink a large amount of money into a phone that will quickly become obsolete.

Part of the trouble is that they base their opinion on 5G here in the U.S.   But the U.S. is lagging the rest of the world as Trump is including 5G as a center piece of his cold war with China.   Meanwhile the rest of the world -- where most iPhones are sold -- is charging ahead.  And that is particularly true in China itself.

avon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 49 of 61
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

GeorgeBMac said:

Instant death.

And as for this:

OT

and,

5G, overhype...

Party on!
    Pretty much ALL of the high end Android 5G phones (except huawei who use their own Balong 5G modem) have already launched with X55 modem for the last 3-4 months. Not sure what exactly are you talking about? 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 50 of 61
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

GeorgeBMac said:

Instant death.

And as for this:

OT

and,

5G, overhype...

Party on!
    Pretty much ALL of the high end Android 5G phones (except huawei who use their own Balong 5G modem) have already launched with X55 modem for the last 3-4 months. Not sure what exactly are you talking about? 
    https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/285936-qualcomm-announces-x55-modem-for-better-5g-phones-but-not-until-2020

You are thinking of the X50.

Significant improvements in the X55.

https://www.androidcentral.com/qualcomm-x50-vs-x55-modem-why-x55-so-important-5gs-future
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 51 of 61

tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

GeorgeBMac said:

Instant death.

And as for this:

OT

and,

5G, overhype...

Party on!

LOL!
    Those trying to defend Apple's lateness to the 5G market (triggered by the fact they haven't had access to a 5G modem) conveniently ignore the fact that the question is not where or how prolific 5G transmitters are today, but where and how prolific will they be in the years to come. 

iPhones today are expected to last at least 4-5 years.   Even Apple has abandoned the 2 year life cycle by extending AppleCare+ out indefinitely.  
    So, only a fool would want to sink a large amount of money into a phone that will quickly become obsolete.

Part of the trouble is that they base their opinion on 5G here in the U.S.   But the U.S. is lagging the rest of the world as Trump is including 5G as a center piece of his cold war with China.   Meanwhile the rest of the world -- where most iPhones are sold -- is charging ahead.  And that is particularly true in China itself.

Well, those buyers of first generation 5G will likely not be all that happy about the downsides, hence why I stated that most device makers will be waiting for Qualcomm's X55 release.

https://www.androidcentral.com/qualcomm-x50-vs-x55-modem-why-x55-so-important-5gs-future

Soli
  • Reply 52 of 61
    tmay said:

tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

GeorgeBMac said:

Instant death.

And as for this:

OT

and,

5G, overhype...

Party on!

LOL!

Well, those buyers of first generation 5G will likely not be all that happy about the downsides, hence why I stated that most device makers will be waiting for Qualcomm's X55 release.

Ahhh!   Good Old Qualcomm.   You can trust Qualcomm!   ROFL.... 
    And, by the way, that's a red herring anyway:   Why would anybody want a 5G standalone mode?  5G is being added on top of the 4G network which still stands on top of the 3G network.  We still use all of them and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.  But each newer generation offers features the older generations lack.

edited January 2020
  • Reply 53 of 61
    tmay said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

GeorgeBMac said:

Instant death.

And as for this:

The Trumpettes LOVE authoritarian governments -- they seem to be seeking one here in the U.S. as well.   But that has no bearing on security though -- it just gives the syncophants a talking point.

What form of government they choose is none of my (or your) business -- and it certainly does not impact the products they produce.
    LOL,

Even Europe is fast becoming aware of China's shortcomings;

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/11/27/europe-huawei-backlash-merkel-germany-summit/

"In Leipzig last weekend, Merkel’s Christian Democrats backed a motion that would give the lower house of parliament a veto on the security criteria for 5G suppliers like Huawei. The text ensures the criteria will include language that rules out suppliers that might be subject to the influence of a foreign country. “This is not about Huawei,” Röttgen said. “It’s about the fact that Huawei is a company that can’t escape the influence of the Communist Party leadership, whether it wants to or not.”

It may take months to know for sure whether his rebellion will succeed. But Huawei’s prospects in Germany, and in Europe, are looking shakier by the day."

• Reply 54 of 61
    tmay said:
    tmay said:
    tmay said:

avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    jdb8167 said:

GeorgeBMac said:

Instant death.

And as for this:

LOL,

Even Europe is fast becoming aware of China's shortcomings;

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/11/27/europe-huawei-backlash-merkel-germany-summit/

"In Leipzig last weekend, Merkel’s Christian Democrats backed a motion that would give the lower house of parliament a veto on the security criteria for 5G suppliers like Huawei. The text ensures the criteria will include language that rules out suppliers that might be subject to the influence of a foreign country. “This is not about Huawei,” Röttgen said. “It’s about the fact that Huawei is a company that can’t escape the influence of the Communist Party leadership, whether it wants to or not.”

It may take months to know for sure whether his rebellion will succeed. But Huawei’s prospects in Germany, and in Europe, are looking shakier by the day."

Yeh, Trump his minions are keeping up their campaign of propaganda and high pressure tactics to force Europe to do their will.   So far it has mostly failed -- particularly when they ask Trump for evidence of his claims and he has none.
  • Reply 55 of 61

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." -- Bill Gates 1981
    Soli
  • Reply 56 of 61

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." -- Bill Gates 1981

In 1981 he was correct.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    jdiamondjdiamond Posts: 122member
    You forget that software bloat is always faster than Moore's Law for hardware.  My iPhone 6S has an A9 dual core Twister, 64-bits, 1.85 GHz.  And it can barely run iOS 13 at all, doing the same tasks it used to do just fine on iOS10.  (I had to ditch my iPhone 5S because it could barely run iOS 9).  This is not for new and fancy features - this is for the old features.  Why do software developers do this?  To cut time & costs - it takes far more time to implement efficient code, or to take out older code that's been replaced.  But you can put in quick hacks that are terribly slow, easily, and you can just keep dumping more and more code into an existing software base as the entire stack starts to crush under its own weight.  

Steve Jobs knew the end of Moore's Law was coming and talked about "the decade of Moore's Law for Software".  It is possible to write software that does the same thing, yet requires a hundredth the hardware.  And that of course, has the same impact on battery life.
  • Reply 58 of 61
    So just to summarize, if you're asking "why would we need faster A chips", the answer is obvious:  iOS 14.

• Reply 59 of 61
    I still remember a cover of BYTE Magazine showing the new Intel 286, which had 16-bit capabilities, and asking on the cover "Do we need this much power?"  But ignoring the software bloat issue, which gets fixed everytime a new software platform starts up, I'd like to also echo the non-cynical side of this:  make a faster chip, and people will invent new and wonderful ways to use it. :)

• Reply 60 of 61
    jdiamond said:
    You forget that software bloat is always faster than Moore's Law for hardware.  My iPhone 6S has an A9 dual core Twister, 64-bits, 1.85 GHz.  And it can barely run iOS 13 at all, doing the same tasks it used to do just fine on iOS10.  (I had to ditch my iPhone 5S because it could barely run iOS 9).  This is not for new and fancy features - this is for the old features.  Why do software developers do this?  To cut time & costs - it takes far more time to implement efficient code, or to take out older code that's been replaced.  But you can put in quick hacks that are terribly slow, easily, and you can just keep dumping more and more code into an existing software base as the entire stack starts to crush under its own weight.  

Steve Jobs knew the end of Moore's Law was coming and talked about "the decade of Moore's Law for Software".  It is possible to write software that does the same thing, yet requires a hundredth the hardware.  And that of course, has the same impact on battery life.

Yeh, a good example of that are the MacBooks.   Mostly they are running the same off-the-shelf hardware as the Windows machines -- but they are still must quicker and snappier.