Apple may split its 5G 'iPhone 12' into two launches

Posted:
in iPhone
A financial analyst claims that Apple will divide its 5G launches into one for the slower sub-6GHz "iPhone 12" in September, and one for the faster mmWave models in December or January 2021.

While Apple reportedly remains on track to release a 5G capable "iPhone 12" later this year, a new report from financial analysis firm Susquehanna claims that the launch will be in two parts. At the regular September unveiling, analyst Mehdi Hosseini says Apple will release only phones that use the slower sub-6GHz variant of 5G.

Then further iPhones with the faster mmWave 5G may launch in December this year or January of 2021.

"The delay in the launch," says Hosseini in a note seen by StreetInsider, "stems from Apple's decision to in-source the Antenna-in-Package (AiP) modules instead of purchasing from the third party."

Apple has previously long been reported to be developing its own 5G modem. Initially reports claimed it would be ready by 2025, then estimates came down to 2022.

Following the recent settlement of legal disputes between the two companies, Qualcomm has reportedly been developing 5G "as fast as we can." At the same time, Intel withdrew from 5G development and Apple subsequently bought that firm's modem business.

Susquehenna's Hosseini expects Apple to make 52 million of the sub-6GHz iPhones and then 8 million of the mmWave version.

The same report says that Apple will continue to use LCD for one of the sub-6GHz iPhones rather than switching to OLED for the whole range.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    ciacia Posts: 252member
    I already have 5Ge on my iPhone X!

/s
    mobirdllama
  • Reply 2 of 24
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    I suspect this analyst is mistaken as that strategy doesn't make any sense. If Apple delays the launch of 5G phones until December/January and everyone know they are delaying it until December/January, sales for the September release will be slow until then while even people who end up buying September models will wait to see what's coming later. If it's not generally known, there will be a lot of disappointed people who bought September phones and sales for the December/January models will suffer  because people have already done their annual upgrade. If there is uncertainty about whether it will happen, sales for the September models will suffer while people wait to see if new models are coming in December/January.

Seems like bad news for Apple in all scenarios. Seems unlikely they wouldn't think through the scenarios. Apple doesn't generally do stupid things.
    caladanianiOS_Guy80randominternetpersonllama
  • Reply 3 of 24
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    cia said:

/s

:* 
    GG1guscat
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 237member
    No mwave no purchase Apple...
  • Reply 5 of 24
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Do not buy they are going to split the launch. it creates a level of complexity that Apple tends to avoid and it will also create market confusion which they avoid at all cost when it is in their control. When I see analysis statements like this it just shows me they do not understand the company they are being paid to understand.
    llamaguscat
  • Reply 6 of 24
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    cia said:

/s

Funny you say they when I was in FL over the holiday I saw a 5G popup next to the AT&T network status on the top of the phone and ask me kid what gives and he said its some weird thing that AT&T is going in the FL area, you are not get 5G it is a variant of LTE. But it was odd that phone would even display 5G, but LTE is really 5G since 4G was out before LTE came out. I know they screwed up the whole naming convention so it not really 5G.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Fred257 said:
    So, just what do need mm wave for? And where do you plan on using it? Even the mobile execs have stated it will never extend beyond selected, densely populated areas. 

I listed to a podcast on the way into work this morning and the guy they were interviewing said his plan for CES was to look to see if he could find products that genuinely needed 5G and wouldn't work on 4G/LTE. Kinda telling... He also made a point of stating that 5G is not just one technology, it's a bunch of them.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Fred257 said:
    Pointless to include mmWave if it is never used. T-Mobile and AT&T aren’t even spending money on it anymore. Verizon probably soon stop too. Or at least for smartphones. It’s uneconomical and makes little sense when signals only work outside and within several hundred meters of the antenna  
    guscat
  • Reply 9 of 24
    I can't quite look at the iPhone the same way after I saw this comedian roast it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k-jMaJkxGM
  • Reply 10 of 24
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    iphoned2 said:
    I can't quite look at the iPhone the same way after I saw this comedian roast it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k-jMaJkxGM
    “comedian”.  I’m gonna go ahead and guess this is your channel. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    5G is turning out to be a cruel hoax. From what I’ve read the sub-6GHz version offers little improvement over LTE speedwise and the mmWave version has transmission range/interference problems. But hey, it’s a nerd gotta-have isn’t it.
    edited January 2020 StrangeDaysMplsP
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 237member
    MplsP said:
    Fred257 said:
    So, just what do need mm wave for? And where do you plan on using it? Even the mobile execs have stated it will never extend beyond selected, densely populated areas. 

I listed to a podcast on the way into work this morning and the guy they were interviewing said his plan for CES was to look to see if he could find products that genuinely needed 5G and wouldn't work on 4G/LTE. Kinda telling... He also made a point of stating that 5G is not just one technology, it's a bunch of them.
    Because mwave is the future.  
  • Reply 13 of 24
    First, Apple sure is late to the awesomely awesome 5G party! /s

Second, I don’t see Apple choosing to sell LCD iPhones to T-Mobile, AT&T, Sprint customers while selling OLED iPhones to Verizon customers especially since Verizon’s 5G will not be as widespread as the others 5G. 

Third, Apple currently has LCD and OLED iPhones for LTE. It doesn’t make sense to me that Apple would purposely not give the majority of its customers OLED iPhones. 
  • Reply 14 of 24
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    iphoned2 said:
    Trash content. Next.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 15 of 24
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

Fred257 said:
    MplsP said:
    Fred257 said:

So why buy it now, when you'll likely retire this device before that future really gets here? Not important to most people; surfing faster out in an open field just isn't that big of a deal.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Fred257 said:
    Don’t forget you also need USB-C or no purchase.  
    urahara
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Everything is fine, and the new iPhones will work perfectly.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    Fred257 said:
    MplsP said:
    Fred257 said:

Here's some reading for you - it looks like it's going to be a patchy future.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/04/millimeter-wave-5g-isnt-for-widespread-coverage-verizon-admits/
  • Reply 19 of 24

lkrupp said:
    5G is turning out to be a cruel hoax. From what I’ve read the sub-6GHz version offers little improvement over LTE speedwise and the mmWave version has transmission range/interference problems. But hey, it’s a nerd gotta-have isn’t it.
    The main argument I've heard for 5G is "because it's the future." From everything I've read, 5G is more important for other uses besides smartphones. The one benefit I can see for smartphones is the higher number of connections allowed per cellular node which will likely become more important as more devices connect to the network and in highly congested areas like sports arenas.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    lkrupp said:
    So Apple can leave it till later. Use it as excuss for lower sales growth numbers compared to last year even other economic and maturity factors are the real reason. Nerd gotta have sales figures won't be public for 6months then and most won't put 2 + 2 together to work it out. Oh, they aren't reporting numbers anymore anyway so even easier to use it to shift revenue expectations.

Could be a good tactical move. Broaden the appeal at the same time with a bigger size range between upper and lower models and it might be enough to hide economic factors entirely.