Ricky Gervais roasts Apple as Golden Globes snub 'The Morning Show'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    His personal remarks are not amusing. They are not accurate and narrow-minded. Apple runs sweatshops? This is a lie from someone who tries to pretend he is honest. Apple products are made by Foxconn a Taiwanese company which makes a lot more products for various companies including HP, Dell, and probably Microsoft, Google. 
    Chinese workers salary is cheap? Why CIA World Factbook says China GDP is $16,700 which is well ahead of India at $7200 and Vietnam at $6900. India literacy rate is only 70% and a lot children is malnutrition. What is his dignity concern on these two countries compared to China? He is a fake by himself. Apple by making products in China actually helped Chinese raising living standard. I think this is actually his real reason not happy with Apple. 
    llamabaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 59
    Truth to power. Apple has in the past built its products in sweatshops in China and only stopped when the word got out about it. They have also used student labor and forced labor. Periodically another sweat shop is discovered somewhere in the production chain and is corrected. Gervais is correct even if you don't want to believe it.

Currently right here in California, Apple is treating its contracted labor horribly compared to its employees.
    edited January 2020 llamacy_starkmanchemengin1cat52
  • Reply 23 of 59
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Ricky is moron. Blames Apple about sweatshops but the suit he wore at event was made in those places. He needs to step out of fleshy life and help those poor people.
    In Apple/Tim Cook, we Trust.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 59
    As a conservative I can’t stand Hollywood.  That being said I really don’t like Apple getting into showbiz.  To folks like me it’s essentially propaganda.  I’d rather Apple stay out of politics but it’s too late.  I already canceled my Netflix due to their political stance and “wokeness”.  
    cat52
  • Reply 25 of 59
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Fatman said:
    Aren't comedians supposed to be funny?
    Laughing with daggers is a thing.  
    docno42
  • Reply 26 of 59
    rain22 said:
    asdasd said:
    Most of what he said was spot on. However Apple is probably the best player in the business for investigating abuses in its supply chain. Its not like the cheap Chinese android manufacturers care. 
    Ever hear of ‘Public Relations’? Or understand what it is they do and how they do it? Yo do know there is a room full of incredibly intelligent psychologists, lawyers, media spinners and behaviouralists who get paid a lot of money to sit there and devise strategies to make you believe whatever it is they want... like Apple actually cares or does anything of merit to curtail sweatshops and child labor. Your assertions show they have done an effective job - if you honestly believe Apple is probably ‘the best player’.
    Nope. It’s not merely PR, Apple is the most engaged tech brand on preventing and addressing worker abuse. They publish their supplier reports every year and discuss methodology and practices. 

https://www.apple.com/supplier-responsibility/

https://www.apple.com/supplier-responsibility/pdf/Apple_SR_2019_Progress_Report.pdf

...it's not in their interest to use child labor. The cost savings isn't worth the negative blowback. Unfortunately what they are fighting is China's cultural indifference and typical poor attitude toward human rights. Thus it becomes mandatory for Apple to police their suppliers to actually do what they say they will do.

But please, share your evidence that they don’t do anything of merit to curtail child labor, and who you believe does a more effective job. 
    edited January 2020 randominternetpersonllamaronnbaconstangtmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 59
    Truth to power. Apple has in the past built its products in sweatshops in China and only stopped when the word got out about it. They have also used student labor and forced labor. Periodically another sweat shop is discovered somewhere in the production chain and is corrected. Gervais is correct even if you don't want to believe it.

Currently right here in California, Apple is treating its contracted labor horribly compared to its employees.
    Misleading. Apple has a zero tolerance policy for things like forced or debt-bonded labor. Right here:

"We have zero tolerance for debt-bonded labor. We prohibit forced labor of any kind, and suppliers must take immediate action or risk removal from our supply chain."

https://www.apple.com/supplier-responsibility/

...with details following. So if their contract suppliers try to do it, it simply isn't accurate to suggest that's a corporate value or policy of Apple to do it. Their suppliers aren't trustworthy and require constant monitoring and auditing. Which Apple does, of course.

But please, continue your steady drumming of anti-Apple narrative.
    llamaronnfastasleeptmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 59

dbvapor said:
    As a conservative I can’t stand Hollywood.  That being said I really don’t like Apple getting into showbiz.  To folks like me it’s essentially propaganda.  I’d rather Apple stay out of politics but it’s too late.  I already canceled my Netflix due to their political stance and “wokeness”.  
    What on earth are you talking about? If Netflix is too invested in equal civil rights for everyone then I guess you'll have to stick to Infowars.
    edited January 2020 ronnAI_liasbaconstangroundaboutnowRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 59
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    dbvapor said:
    And yet as a self-proclaimed conservative your entire ideology is wrapped up in propaganda and showbiz. 
    ronnfastasleepAI_liasStrangeDaysbaconstangroundaboutnowtmayRayz2016watto_cobrakudu
  • Reply 30 of 59
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    sdw2001 said:
    Ricky Gervais is showing his ignorance.  

In other news, let see a show of hands for the most ridiculous use of a word in the English language.   “Woke.”   What an unimaginative and poorly thought up way of expressing oneself.  
    His ignorance? I'd say he was blisteringly accurate.  No one wants to hear from celebrities about their political stances and their "brave" performances.  The bit about Apple was a really pointed, tough joke.  Everyone knows that Apple products are made in what we would call "sweatshops" in China. How is it "ignorant" to point this out?  Not funny, perhaps.  But it's certainly not ignorant.  

Nobody laughed at that "joke", because it wasn't funny. And Apple doesn't run those factories. They are contracted out. We've all seen inside of the Foxxconn factories and nobody is sweating...
    edited January 2020 baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 59
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    Win an pretentious award... get put on my “do not watch” list.
    Nobody cares.

Fatman said:
    Aren't comedians supposed to be funny?
    Yes, by definition. But comedy is subjective. To some people hurling insults to celebrities of any nature, neither witty or clever, is in and of itself funny.

Some comedians are witty and clever, and know the difference between joking and insulting. Don Rickles was pretty good at making people laugh at themselves, which is a key difference between comedy and insults. To some people, comedy is insulting anyone but them.

I thought Gervais was pretty funny last year. I'll watch this year's awards to see if he walks the line or crosses it. That's also subjective.

He roasted everyone. Standard cringe-worthy Gervais fare. I am not a fan, but Cook should have known what he was walking into. 

Who says he didn't? You act like you know Hollywood and the industry, and he doesn't. That's laughable.
    fastasleepdanhdocno42
  • Reply 32 of 59
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    davgreg said:

Good comedy usually comes with a bite. He also is a known quantity, so no thin skinned people should have shown up. 
    Yep. As they say, many a truth is said in jest. So even if it's only a half-truth and even if the joke was only half-funny, we all sort of half-chuckled and half-cringed simultaneously while seeing straight-faced Tim bite his lip. If the joke made you chuckle-cringe and feel a little uncomfortable, good for you, you're normal.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    sdw2001 said:
    Ricky Gervais is showing his ignorance.  

In other news, let see a show of hands for the most ridiculous use of a word in the English language.   “Woke.”   What an unimaginative and poorly thought up way of expressing oneself.  
    His ignorance? I'd say he was blisteringly accurate.  No one wants to hear from celebrities about their political stances and their "brave" performances.  The bit about Apple was a really pointed, tough joke.  Everyone knows that Apple products are made in what we would call "sweatshops" in China. How is it "ignorant" to point this out?  Not funny, perhaps.  But it's certainly not ignorant.  

Nobody laughed at that "joke", because it wasn't funny. And Apple doesn't run those factories. They are contracted out. We've all seen inside of the Foxxconn factories and nobody is sweating…
    1) I laughed.

2) You can here plenty of laughter after that joke (and all his others)

3) The joke itself is hyperbole, but your argument that "Apple doesn't run those factories" is as defensible as the lawyer for a mob boss saying that their client wasn't present when the people were whacked.

4) I hope your comment about not literally seeing people sweating was a joke.
    fastasleepchemengin1docno42
  • Reply 34 of 59
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    He is a self righteous shortsighted moron who has zero clue about what he is spewing out... A typical hypocrite who does not know that he does not know ! Pathetic fool.
  • Reply 35 of 59
    someone bring another jug of kool-aid for the forum, by and large the commenters have drained the esky.
  • Reply 36 of 59
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

"So you [the celebrities] say you're woke, but the companies you work for, unbelievable," he continued. "Apple, Amazon, Disney, if ISIS started a streaming service, you'd call your agent, right?"

That did sound as if he meant Apple and the other firms would call their agents, but Gervais's final points on the issue were unambiguously focused on Hollywood stars.
    What? No, it sounds like he meant if ISIS started a service, a Hollywood star would call their agent to try to get on board with that service, as they ostensibly had with Apple, Amazon, Disney, because they’re opportunists despite saying they’re “woke”. 

Not sure how you got something different out of this joke. 
    edited January 2020 SoliAI_liasdanh
  • Reply 37 of 59
    He is a self righteous shortsighted moron who has zero clue about what he is spewing out... A typical hypocrite who does not know that he does not know ! Pathetic fool.
     Not a fan?
    SoliAI_liaschemengin1razorpit
  • Reply 38 of 59

dbvapor said:
    Gee, when I see stuff on Netflix I don’t want to watch, I just don’t add it to my watch list and move on. Imagine getting so angry about some random content on a streaming service that you allow it to offend you on a base socio-political level. Go read Breitbart in your safe space. 
    SoliAI_liasroundaboutnowdanhkudu
  • Reply 39 of 59

"So you [the celebrities] say you're woke, but the companies you work for, unbelievable," he continued. "Apple, Amazon, Disney, if ISIS started a streaming service, you'd call your agent, right?"

That did sound as if he meant Apple and the other firms would call their agents, but Gervais's final points on the issue were unambiguously focused on Hollywood stars.
    What? No, it sounds like he meant if ISIS started a service, a Hollywood star would call their agent to try to get on board with that service, as they ostensibly had with Apple, Amazon, Disney, because they’re opportunists despite saying they’re “woke”. 

Not sure how you got something different out of this joke. 
    It's odd—but not unexpected—for people on this forum to get upset at a comment that only mentions Apple is passing and isn't even the punchline. He made so many jokes that were more "offensive."
    edited January 2020 AI_liasdocno42
  • Reply 40 of 59
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Many in the entertainment industry are overpaid, much more are underpaid. The disparaging remarks from the nobodies here are quite humorous.

They all, often nameless, often put out everything to entertain us. Most of us have never had to be anything but mediocre; and we could do so in our little cubicles with nobody knowing. 

Football players weekly put their health and bodies on the line for our pleasure. They do so publicly and often endure criticism from nobodies who never worked that hard in their life. 

Youtube is a great place to listen to discussions about how movies and shows are made, and the history and efforts. Many of the greats, like Spielberg are thinking 20 years ahead, as are the actors, cinematographers, costume designers, set designers, novelists, screen writers. "Lincoln", "Schindler's List", "Jurassic Park". In Netflix produced, "The Two Popes", they "built" the Sistine Chapel.

Routinely, in only months, after years of planning, they shoot, spending often upwards of $100M. The credits at the end of movies give only a flavor of the number and expertise of those involved. The organizational effort and project management necessary to pull these movies off is phenomenal. And, it's done many times, year after year. 

Yes, the on-screen talent are often given more credit than due, certainly as compared to the off-screen support. 

Often, by contrast, computer software implementations of $100M fail more often than work. They are deep-sixed.