Samsung's designers copying Apple again in Samsung Pass icons

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    quark108 said:
    Seems like Samsung's "Touch ID" looks very similar to Apple's as well
    As I recall when they initially ripped off the TouchID icon it was the actual same fingerprint groove lines. They hadn't even bothered to change them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 44
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Soli said:
    While I think it's very likely that Samsung stole this icon from Apple as it seems to be in their nature, to me that icon also seems very obvious.
    I'm actually surprised you think this is "obvious".  I can only guess that maybe you think that is because Apple has made it such an icon for years, and for the iPhone - that many use - it may just have become ubiquitous that people now think it's "obvious"?

Either way, it's theft.  Samsung has been brazen in the past, and has a really good history of infringing and dragging it through the courts which such ferocity that by the time it does eventually reach the judge many years down the road, the judge eventually minimizes the importance of it due to age.

It reminds me of the time Samsung ripped-off Apple's iPhone icons in its stores.  This company continues to have zero shame.

edited January 2020 pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 44
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,254member
    hexclock said:
    The second from the right looks quite similar to AOL’s running man icon too. 
    Looks like the icon is about to go full-bore Skanker Man:

Love it!
    king editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 44
    Disgusting, and so incredibly lazy. Reflects poorly on Korea, since Samsung is considered one of the best and most innovative companies by locals there.

I thought that the concept of ‘losing face’ (pun entirely accidental) actually meant something in these cultures?!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Appleish said:
    God does Samsung suck. We've been shopping for a house recently. The latests once we looked at was chock full of Samsung appliances. We've noticed that houses that are kinda crummy favor that brand. My guess is that builders/renovators get really good prices on their crap.
    So you avoid a house, because it has Samsung appliances in it? Are you slow? Lol.
    And I guarantee you those "crummy" houses aren't even crummy in the first place.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    quark108 said:

That's not even their fingerprint icon. This is their fingerprint icon.
    I'm pretty sure the head of Samsung's design team didn't just go out and intentionally use Apple's touch ID icon. I'm sure it was a mistake by somebody that just looked for an icon real quick.
  • Reply 27 of 44

That's not even the face recognition icon Samsung uses. This is. I'm sure it was a mistake by somebody on the team.
    But we should just ignore all the times Apple blatantly copied Samsung though, right?
  • Reply 28 of 44
    This is so blatant that you'd have to hope it was a mistake. Perhaps someone put the icon in as a placeholder then quit and no one else picked up on it, not being iPhone users. If they didn't quit, they probably should now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 44
    kudukudu Posts: 44member
    Samsung has blatantly copied Apple. Again. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 44
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    Soli said:
    While I think it's very likely that Samsung stole this icon from Apple as it seems to be in their nature, to me that icon also seems very obvious.
    What is the relevance of a mark being “obvious”? There is nothing in trademark law that requires a trademark to be non-obvious. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Appleish said:
    God does Samsung suck. We've been shopping for a house recently. The latests once we looked at was chock full of Samsung appliances. We've noticed that houses that are kinda crummy favor that brand. My guess is that builders/renovators get really good prices on their crap.
    So you avoid a house, because it has Samsung appliances in it? Are you slow? Lol.
    And I guarantee you those "crummy" houses aren't even crummy in the first place.
    Samsung appliances are absolute crap, and there is nothing wrong with not buying a house because it has crap appliances. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Disgusting, and so incredibly lazy. Reflects poorly on Korea, since Samsung is considered one of the best and most innovative companies by locals there.

I thought that the concept of ‘losing face’ (pun entirely accidental) actually meant something in these cultures?!
    I’m not aware of any Samsung consumer product that could be fairly characterized as innovative.  

And no, slapping a TV screen on the front of a refrigerator is not innovative. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 44
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    You're apparently confusing patent and trademark law, and perhaps the meaning of 'obvious'.
    Can you point out where I mentioned either patent or trademark law in my statement?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 44
    BxBornBxBorn Posts: 74member
    get over it, they all do it. It must be great to have your lives when the most upsetting aspect to your day is Samsung using an Apple icon...
  • Reply 35 of 44
    BxBorn said:
    get over it, they all do it. It must be great to have your lives when the most upsetting aspect to your day is Samsung using an Apple icon...
    Which Samsung designs has Apple stolen?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 44
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    quark108 said:
    Yeah, for that one they could have picked literally any fingerprint feature other than a loop. Go with a whorl or an arch. At a bare minimum, they should have changed the direction of the loop. But no. They couldn't be bothered.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 44
    BxBornBxBorn Posts: 74member
    Soli said:
    BxBorn said:
    here's 3 for Samsung...edge to edge screen, typing by just swiping your fingers across the keyboard on the screen and Qi wireless charging and beyond that from other companies you have the touch bar, dark mode, widgets on the iPad and look-around on Apple maps.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Being an avid Apple fan and user, I find these discussions particularly funny when you look at how many things and innovations Apple have copied. It even gets worse when Apple does not only copy but create non-public APIs to make their stuff work better, like with Sidecar.
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 39 of 44
    BxBorn said:
    Soli said:
    BxBorn said:
    here's 3 for Samsung...edge to edge screen, typing by just swiping your fingers across the keyboard on the screen and Qi wireless charging and beyond that from other companies you have the touch bar, dark mode, widgets on the iPad and look-around on Apple maps.
    None of those are Samsung designs and at least two of them are not even Samsung technologies.

edited January 2020 netroxfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 44
    BxBorn said:
    Soli said:
    BxBorn said:
    Soli said:
    BxBorn said:
    None of those are Samsung designs and at least two of them are not even Samsung technologies.

do your research then get back to me fanboy...I hardly believe that Apple was the first ever in history to make an icon with a smiley face but whatever make you feel better cupcake..didn't mean to trigger your emotional side by talking bad about Uncle Steve's company...go to your safe space and call mommy to let her know you need a hug and tell you Apple is the greatest.
    I did get back to you. You claimed that Apple stole "designs" for Qi charging and swipe to type from Samsung. But even if, for instance, Samsung had created the open standard which they first used n their devices which other manufactures then adopted because it became the de facto induction charging standard, that's not stealing.
    watto_cobraitsmatthew.ca