Regulatory filing points to new MacBook Pro launch in coming months

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2020
Apple may be gearing up for an update of its MacBook Pro lines, with the appearance of a new model number in a regulatory database indicating an entirely new model is likely on the way.

The new filings with the ECC include just one new model number, A2289, which is identified as an Apple-branded portable computer and associated spare components. No other details are made public about the model, aside from it being capable of running macOS 10.15 Catalina.

It is unknown what the model indicates, as this could refer to an update to any of the MacBook variants available to date.

The model number is accompanied by filings for two Apple TV models, using numbers that relate to already-available models. These are most likely to indicate the use of tvOS 13 on the Apple TV and Apple TV 4K.

Another line is dedicated to the rackmount variant of the new Mac Pro, which has yet to be made available to purchase by Apple.

Filings with the Eurasian Economic Commission are legally required for devices to be sold with encryption-related elements in Russia and a number of connected companies. The filings don't provide specific details about upcoming devices, but they do function as an early indication Apple is going to make changes to its product lineup in the coming months.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    If it's a 16" MBP that supports WiFi 6 I'll probably get it.
    caladanian
  • Reply 2 of 36
    If it’s MacBook updates, it’s to replace the butterfly mechanism with scissors on the keyboards.

I wonder if Apple is kicking around the idea of using AMD? That’s probably to much to hope for....
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 36
    Better not be a 16”
    I just bought it a month ago 
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Better not be a 16”
    Good news! Your 16" MBP will still continue to work after new models arrive.
    pscooter63RonnnieORayz2016MisterKitchiamuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 36
    ndnycndnyc Posts: 19member
    This will be the smaller sibling to the current MBP 16” (14” display, Magic Keyboard, etc.)
    caladanian
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 236member
    13’ 6 core MBP and I’m on it.

I don’t care otherwise 
    anome
  • Reply 7 of 36
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Soli said:
    I seriously doubt there will be 16" MBP update. it's too soon. More likely updates to other models in the line.
    StrangeDaysMisterKitwilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 36
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Better not be a 16”
    I highly doubt they'll release another new 16" MBP with new features after having just released a 16" MBP with new features. 
    williamlondonchia
  • Reply 9 of 36
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    If it’s MacBook updates, it’s to replace the butterfly mechanism with scissors on the keyboards.

I wonder if Apple is kicking around the idea of using AMD? That’s probably to much to hope for....
    Most likely a 13/14” model for the very reason you suggest, that is to replace the poorly engineered keyboard.     Hopefully they address all the other short comings with an eye on customer needs. 

As for AMD, as 13/14” MBP with six or eight cores would be most welcomed.  Unfortunately Apple has a tendency to under power the smaller MBP which likely will mean four cores if they did go AMD.  If Apple doesn’t go AMD they run the risk of high quality notebooks and very low cost, from the PC world out performing the Macs by a large margin.  

One of the take always from CES is the stress AMD put on the idea that they are customer driven and that their new APU’s are designed to meet customer demands /needs.  This is something Apple could learn a lot from.  Keyboards that work, SD card readers and similar technologies are all things that customers need.  
    agilealtitudewilliamlondond_2caladanianmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 36
    lkrupp said:
    Soli said:
    I seriously doubt there will be 16" MBP update. it's too soon. More likely updates to other models in the line.
    Probably not, but I do recall Apple having released updated Macs after 6 months in the past so I'd say it's not out of the question.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 36
    This is a much-needed move.

I recently sold off my disastrous, overpriced 2019 MBP15", and got the 16": the difference in the keyboard is like night and day, I am happy to say. Moreover, the exact same configuration on the 16" (as my 15") cost me 30% less. Go figure. 

I am still a bit chagrined about the lack of the backlit Apple logo and the "charging/fully charged" light on the charging plug. The non-inclusion of the extension cord for the power brick also rankles.
    SpamSandwichagilealtitudewilliamlondond_2caladanianmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 12 of 36
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Better not be a 16”
    And it will continue to work exactly as you purchased it.

this is probably just the next product refresh later in the year.  However, if Apple starts updating more often, that’s a great thing.

my hope is that they introduce an AMD Ryzen-powered laptop.  I would bet money that somewhere deep in Apple’s skunkworks lab, they have a MBP running a Ryzen CPU just for kicks.

one can only hope.
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 13 of 36
    thttht Posts: 5,420member
    Apple has 4 classes of laptop right now:

7W MBA
    15W MBP13 w/2 TB ports
    28W MBP13 w/4 TB ports
    45W MBP16 w/4 TB ports

The first 3 will hopefully be updated by Spring with Intel 10nm parts, the MBP16 in the Fall. So, hopefully 2 more show up in filings. A 7 nm or 5 nm ARM laptop would be much more interesting though.

vannygee
  • Reply 14 of 36
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    wizard69 said:

One of the take always from CES is the stress AMD put on the idea that they are customer driven and that their new APU’s are designed to meet customer demands /needs.  This is something Apple could learn a lot from.  Keyboards that work, SD card readers and similar technologies are all things that customers need.  
    Ah no, I don’t need a consumer memory card reader built into my MBP, which is my mobile development machine. My photo gear uses CF, which I’m not whining for on it either. Naturally, the best option is to let each consumer use a standard port in whichever way they need, rather than require builtin controllers and slots for various things. 

Also, the notion that Apple isn’t customer driven is quite absurd. They’re famously customer driven, much to the chagrin of investors. This is why they are generally the best selling devices in their categories, have the longest useful lifespans, highest resale value, consumer satisfaction ratings, etc etc. 
    edited January 2020 williamlondonfastasleep
  • Reply 15 of 36
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    wizard69 said:

Most likely a 13/14” model for the very reason you suggest, that is to replace the poorly engineered keyboard.     Hopefully they address all the other short comings with an eye on customer needs.
    It's obvious that the 13" MBP, and hopefully the MBA, will be refreshed with the new (old?) keyboard as recently seen on the new 16". And in case it wasn't obvious, keep your eyes on price offers for the current model as retail channels sell through the old inventory.

That said, having recently spent a couple of days using someone else's 16" MBP, I find its keyboard a bit mushy feeling compared with either my 2016 13" MBP or Apple's external Magic Keyboard. But don't get me wrong, I'd certainly take that over the unreliable version.
    edited January 2020 williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 16 of 36
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    wizard69 said:

As for AMD, as 13/14” MBP with six or eight cores would be most welcomed.  Unfortunately Apple has a tendency to under power the smaller MBP which likely will mean four cores if they did go AMD.  If Apple doesn’t go AMD they run the risk of high quality notebooks and very low cost, from the PC world out performing the Macs by a large margin.  

The U-series everyone is dreaming about won't be released right now.
  • Reply 17 of 36

sflocal said:
    Better not be a 16”
    And it will continue to work exactly as you purchased it.

this is probably just the next product refresh later in the year.  However, if Apple starts updating more often, that’s a great thing.

my hope is that they introduce an AMD Ryzen-powered laptop.  I would bet money that somewhere deep in Apple’s skunkworks lab, they have a MBP running a Ryzen CPU just for kicks.

one can only hope.
    Right now, No Intel-H, No Ryzen-U.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Fred257 said:
    13’ 6 core MBP and I’m on it.

I don’t care otherwise 
    That's a big computer...(I kid, I kid)

I expect the 13" MBP won't have 6 cores, just 4. Heat profile, physical space, power consumption, etc. Also won't have an external GPU. Now, 32GB+ of RAM, and we're away. Still, unless they can handle LPDDR4, that probably won't happen either. Do we have that support in suitable chips yet?
  • Reply 19 of 36

I recently sold off my disastrous, overpriced 2019 MBP15", and got the 16": the difference in the keyboard is like night and day, I am happy to say. Moreover, the exact same configuration on the 16" (as my 15") cost me 30% less. Go figure. 

I am still a bit chagrined about the lack of the backlit Apple logo and the "charging/fully charged" light on the charging plug. The non-inclusion of the extension cord for the power brick also rankles.
    Here you go.
  • Reply 20 of 36
    DuhSesame said:

Here you go.
    Very nice. But I am a little wary of their-party charging hardware...