Mac shipments continue to slide in Q4 as PC market grows

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2020
Apple's share of the worldwide PC market continued a year-long downward trend amidst a wider industry rebound, as Mac shipments shrank in the fourth quarter of 2019, according to estimates released on Monday by market research firms Gartner and IDC

Gartner PC Q4
Gartner's fourth quarter numbers.

Apple landed in fourth place on an estimated 5.26 million Macs shipped during the last quarter of 2019 to take 7.5% of the market, down from 5.43 million units in the same period in 2018, Gartner said in its report.

IDC disagreed on exact unit numbers, finding Mac shipments at 4.72 million in quarter four, but also put Apple down 5.3% from 4.98 million year-over-year. The performance was good for a 6.6% marketshare, IDC said.

Both Gartner and IDC found the Mac maker suffered the worst quarterly decline of any top-five vendor, exacerbating a situation that according to Gartner began in the year-ago quarter.

The research firms also disagreed on Acer, with Gartner showing the Taiwanese firm in sixth place, up 3.5% on the year with 3.99 million units shipped and a 5.7% share of the market. IDC, however, estimates Acer was nipping at Apple's heels with 4.37 million units shipped, down 4.2% from 2018. Gartner has Asus in the fifth spot with 4.06 million shipments and a 5.8% share of the market.

IDC
IDC's fourth quarter numbers.

Lenovo was the top PC manufacturer on both lists, with the Gartner estimating shipments of 17.5 million units to IDC's 17.83 million. Both research firms have Lenovo at a 24.8% marketshare.

HP and Dell finished in second and third, respectively, with Gartner estimating 16.13 million units shipped for HP, up 5.4% year-over-year. IDC put HP's shipments at 17.17 million units, up 6.9% from the same period last year. Dell shipped 12.11 million computers, up 12.1% year-over-year, according to Gartner, while IDC put the company's shipments up 10.7% at 12.46 million units.

Overall, Gartner found the industry grew 2.3% from the same time last year, a more conservative outlook as compared to IDC's 4.8% growth rate.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 59
    3.5-5 million units per quarter, as usual.

They won’t sell more than what’s roughly in this range, and they never really have, at least as long as I’ve had an account on AI. 

I don’t see the issue. 

The market may be expanding, but in which areas? Premium devices? Budget notebooks? Apple usually rules the top of the market pyramid: unit sales are fewer but profit is plentiful. And does Apple not still command the lion’s share of profit in this area? They usually do. 
    jony0StrangeDayscy_starkmanlkruppbluefire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 59
    Oh look, more negative news from the smut rags Gartner and IDC, known for totally fabricating numbers out of their asses...

Pardon me while I proceed with ignoring this crap.
    StrangeDayslkrupppscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 59
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Many people love Macbook laptops but often the price becomes decision factor,deal breaker. Typical PC Windows laptops range from $250 to $2000 so it plays within the people's budget.
    I am sure Apple can capture more market share if chooses to do so. Recent example we have seen in iPhone 11, and price adjustment to Macbook Pro/Air and buyers have responded positively.
    AI_liasavon b7entropysmuthuk_vanalingamElCapitan
  • Reply 4 of 59
    The fact is Windows isn't the train wreck it used to be, and is closing the gap with macOS (in many ways deficient but still good enough for all intents and purposes).

Linux distros are getting better and more polished.

On the other hand, macOS has largely stood still (dark mode and some solid but unexciting security features).

The very best pro PC laptops such as the XPS (2020 keyboard layout notwithstanding) and ThinkPad X1 Carbon are compelling offers.

Apple may still offer the very best premium experience for its mobile devices, but I sense a lack of will on the part of the company to keep up with the ultra-competitive PC industry.
    cy_starkmanentropysmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 5 of 59
    The fact is Windows isn't the train wreck it used to be, and is closing the gap with macOS (in many ways deficient but still good enough for all intents and purposes).

Linux distros are getting better and more polished.

On the other hand, macOS has largely stood still (dark mode and some solid but unexciting security features).

The very best pro PC laptops such as the XPS (2020 keyboard layout notwithstanding) and ThinkPad X1 Carbon are compelling offers.

Apple may still offer the very best premium experience for its mobile devices, but I sense a lack of will on the part of the company to keep up with the ultra-competitive PC industry.
    while what you say won’t be popular - it has truth in it.

there are some very fine windows laptops available, good builds, ports and even by some miracle trackpads.

windows 10 is fine really and in some respects is being updated faster, as it is now dealt with more “app” like; apple still treats macos as a monolithic build that can only change once a year.

the 16” is a bit compelling, finally. and apple’s seamless and excellent apple id and icloud work, with files, photos, notes, hand off and all the integrated things really stomps windows - but people can’t easily know that and you have to set it up well and be all in with an Apple Watch and iPhone etc and pay for iCloud and Music/Match... and it is useless for companies

Apple is really wedded to its products and services being for a singular person.
    d_2javacowboyrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 59
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Let me hear Pro users crying about how ThinkPad keyboard will save the Mac.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 59
    Ah, good ole Apple Insider, having it both ways again. Addicted to the click bait of typical Gartner/IDC "Apple Is Failing (still)" prognostications, so it plays the useful idiot in disseminating these BS numbers as credible. And then, any day now, we should be seeing an AI editorial feigning outrage over how wrong and unreliable the BS numbers provided by Gartner and IDC have been.
    lkruppflyingdpmuthuk_vanalingamRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 59
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    charlesn said:
    Ah, good ole Apple Insider, having it both ways again. Addicted to the click bait of typical Gartner/IDC "Apple Is Failing (still)" prognostications, so it plays the useful idiot in disseminating these BS numbers as credible. And then, any day now, we should be seeing an AI editorial feigning outrage over how wrong and unreliable the BS numbers provided by Gartner and IDC have been.
     <3  <3 <3

Yes, another analyst article for the disgruntled Mac crowd to circle-jerk over. And as sure as the Sun rises in the East they trot out the "overpriced" tripe. Yes, Apple is doomed once again. 
    edited January 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 59
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Gartner, IDC.... I’ll pass on their statistics. They’ve always based numbers off units dumped into the channel, which has nothing to do with actual sales.

When you have a “commodity” industry where the number of units returned to manufacturer are usually pretty high, basing the health of that market solely on the number of units shipped, is disingenuous.

Both of these companies have infamously historically conflated statistics of “sponsor” companies and downplay those of others. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 59
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    You have to drop $6000 to get a mac that takes standard cards.
    $1500 Macs with vampire video.
    Crappy keyboards.
    Few to no ports.
    Sealed battery compartment on laptops, keyboards and mice.
    Macs that cannot work as a base for HomeKit.
    Last year's processors at tomorrow's prices.
    No Face ID or Touch ID on desktops.

What is not to like?
    edited January 2020 avon b7
  • Reply 11 of 59
    So why is Apple still making a majority of the profits on their offerings, like computers and phones, while all the other manufacturers are fighting over the table scraps. Yep, this is a doomed strategy. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 59
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Oh look, more negative news from the smut rags Gartner and IDC, known for totally fabricating numbers out of their asses...

I was just waiting for someone like you to say this. Anything from anyone where Apple is doing well and leading, people like you love to say Apple is number one and the best. But, inevitably, when Apple starts to slide down a little, WHICH FREAKING HAPPENS, it always, you can’t trust them and it’s people wanting to bring Apple into negative light. 

How the hell are people supposed to be able to report negative things, that actually do happen, about Apple without you bitching and crying all the time? 
    avon b7CloudTalkinmuthuk_vanalingamrain22
  • Reply 13 of 59
    Don't forget that Windows 7 goes officially out of service thise week. Many people will dumbly follow the advice of their local Big Box Store and buy a brand new PC/Laptop when they could update their old one.
    Plus there are the [cough][cough] incentives for sales staff in these stores to sell the device that gets the most return for the sales droid. I've seen people looking at Mac's be steered away to some crappy HP device instead. Perhaps it is because the sales commission for the £400 HP device is more than a £1000 MacBook Air?

Then there is the heavy discounting that we see happening in the UK to both PC's and Mac's.
    That simply does not happen to Mac's here in the UK. I'd be tempted to replace my 2015 model with a new 16in MBP a lot sooner if I could get it at anywhere near the sort of prices we see advertised here and on other forums.

As it is, I'm holding off for at least 6-9 months.

There are many reasons why Apple does not shift more kit. but... Do they really want to?
    They could shift a heck of a lot more if the prices came down around the world! But that you mean sacrificing margin and we all know that is just not on the cards anytime soon.

razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 59
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    There is no doubt that the Mac business is bringing in far more revenues than when Apple was literally a computer company. From that perspective, a contraction in sales means very little.

The bigger question is why the iPhone 'halo effect' hasn't pushed Mac revenues even higher and that is where Apple is lacking IMO and that is why I've always said Apple is underperforming with the Mac.

Obviously we don't need computers as much as we did before but there is still a huge PC market and I think Apple could take a far bigger chunk out of it. And while tablets are trying to chip their way in, the things we said were absolutely necessary to make them truly viable options (not least file management) are only just appearing and have to mature.

Instead of looking at what has been achieved, it is sometimes better to look at what could have been achieved but wasn't.

There are a few reasons why, but clearly price and product stagnation are two clear identifiers.

Being the multi billion dollar business that it is (the classic computer/OS division), it should have focused on its core business: the Mac.

Tim Cook may regard the Mac as just another revenue stream, that pales in comparison to the real moneymaker (iPhone) but the truth is, as a division, the Mac unit went off the rails (yes, in spite of increased revenues).

That's why I've long argued for spinning the division off, putting the word 'computer' back in the name, and pumping some energy back into things. To apply some Apple terminology here, if we have 'good, better, best', then we are at 'better' only.

The Mini, should never have languished for so long. The Pro should have been 'fixed' long before it was. The 2016 MBP redesign should not have been the only design. The same iMac should not have been offered for two consecutive Christmas seasons. A low end tower should have been an option.

I agree that Homekit should have been designed into macOS from the outset. 

The home WiFi division should have been expanded instead of disbanded.

Blaming intel for not delivering is a cop out. There are more areas that can be improved (not least pricing).

entropysmuthuk_vanalingamrazorpit
  • Reply 15 of 59
    davgreg said:
    You have to drop $6000 to get a mac that takes standard cards.
    $1500 Macs with vampire video.
    Crappy keyboards.
    Few to no ports.
    Sealed battery compartment on laptops, keyboards and mice.
    Macs that cannot work as a base for HomeKit.
    Last year's processors at tomorrow's prices.
    No Face ID or Touch ID on desktops.

What is not to like?
    So you really think having few screws on the battery or the 10th gen processors really going to boost your sale?

Actually how about you go to notebookcheck and do a quick comparison, just to see the cinebench score?
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 59
    lkrupp said:
    charlesn said:
     <3  <3 <3

Yes, another analyst article for the disgruntled Mac crowd to circle-jerk over. And as sure as the Sun rises in the East they trot out the "overpriced" tripe. Yes, Apple is doomed once again. 
    I don't expect this year to be stellar.  The first half of 2019 are all spec bumps, with the biggest two (16" and the Mac Pro) released at end of the year.

That said, all the 13" Pro did a good job, despite a generation behind, it still manages to pull more CPU performance than most 10th gen Ultrabooks -- cooling does matter.  Of course, it won't always be as OEMs releasing more prominent designs, which is why you heard the rumors of a new 13".
    edited January 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 59
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    This is very understandable when one compares Apple Products to those of Lenovo:
    Lenovo:   Mostly high-end, quality products but a wide range of form factors to meet essentially every need from business man to student.
    Apple:  Entirely high-end, quality products limited to a single form factor* which forces the buyer to adjust their needs to fit the product available.

* Yes, I know there are iMacs, MacMinis and MacPros, but those are essentially irrelevant, only MacBooks count and there you can't tell one from the other without a spec sheet.

And, adding a cursor and mouse to the iPad will hurt the Mac line even more -- Lenovo considers that a laptop that can function as a tablet, Apple will consider it a tablet that can function as a laptop.  Essentially they are the same but fall into different product lines.

Apple needs to do 3 things with the MacBook line:
    1)  Continue to upgrade it (why is Apple News so sucky on the Mac?   You can't even adjust the size/zoom!  And, why no FaceBook app?).
    2)  Provide form factors in addition to the "thin & light, minimalist" designs they have so far limited themselves to.
    3)  Produce a sub $1K laptop.

In other words, its not a matter of quality but of marketing:   other vendors are giving people what they want instead of selling a limited product line and trying to force people into liking it.   The iPad, iPhone and iPad are all good examples:  Apple produced multiple form factors to meet people's needs and preferences and it worked.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 59
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member

It's great news, if you have stock in Lenovo.
  • Reply 19 of 59
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member

This is very understandable when one compares Apple Products to those of Lenovo:
    Lenovo:   Mostly high-end, quality products but a wide range of form factors to meet essentially every need from business man to student.
    Apple:  Entirely high-end, quality products limited to a single form factor* which forces the buyer to adjust their needs to fit the product available.

* Yes, I know there are iMacs, MacMinis and MacPros, but those are essentially irrelevant, only MacBooks count and there you can't tell one from the other without a spec sheet.

And, adding a cursor and mouse to the iPad will hurt the Mac line even more -- Lenovo considers that a laptop that can function as a tablet, Apple will consider it a tablet that can function as a laptop.  Essentially they are the same but fall into different product lines.

Apple needs to do 3 things with the MacBook line:
    1)  Continue to upgrade it (why is Apple News so sucky on the Mac?   You can't even adjust the size/zoom!  And, why no FaceBook app?).
    2)  Provide form factors in addition to the "thin & light, minimalist" designs they have so far limited themselves to.
    3)  Produce a sub $1K laptop.

In other words, its not a matter of quality but of marketing:   other vendors are giving people what they want instead of selling a limited product line and trying to force people into liking it.   The iPad, iPhone and iPad are all good examples:  Apple produced multiple form factors to meet people's needs and preferences and it worked.
    Why would Apple make vast range of laptops as you described when another company is doing that already. I believe Apple already has a confusing batch of products which should be whittled down further. I understand the desktop is not where Apple's profits are any longer but gee whiz surely the design could be improved, how many years has it locked and performed the same 7-8?
  • Reply 20 of 59
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    charlesn said:
    Then rinse and repeat.
    watto_cobra