Apple Mac mini vs Intel NUC -- the lightweights spar

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I just wish the Mac Mini had a discrete GPU and not Intel's weak integrated graphics.  I'm not sure how Apple could manage that as the Mac Mini only has room for one exhaust fan and a discrete GPU would generate more heat to get rid of.  I only use my Mac Mini as a PLEX media center computer and as long as the current Mac Mini can manage 4K at 60fps with the HDMI port, maybe a discrete GPU doesn't really matter to me.  I'm holding off buying a new Mac Mini until next year to see if Apple upgrades the CPU with more powerful integrated graphics.  I'm not ever expecting a discrete GPU in the Mac Mini based on the way it is mainly being used.  Eventually, I'll be getting a NAS with video transcoding capabilities, so that will end all my complaints about the Mac Mini.  As it is the Mac Mini is a fine little computer that has run 24/7/365 for me for a few years.
    It is Intels rather weak GPUs that keeps me hoping for something better!!!   In my case to better support engineering and graphics apps.  Apple really has two choices.   1. Is to go AMD with its APU’s which offer a modest improvement.   2. Is to put in a discreet GPU.   

The discreet GPU doesn’t need to be a high performance gaming chip, simply put in a laptop GPU with a reliable clock speed.  Of course with Apple this means AMD right now but who knows maybe Intel will deliver.  
  • Reply 22 of 30
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    jpellino said:
    NUC running Ubuntu would be a very solid solution.  When I had drive issues on a previous MacBook (pre-iPad days), I had Ubuntu running off a thumb drive on the Mac while I sorted out the drive replacement.  Heck, there are days when I live off the Raspberry Pi that I periodically forget is screwed to the back of my TV...

I'm still Mac every day because of network / mdm duties and the iOS macOS integrated ecosystem.  
    It is Apples current SSD implementation that got me so pissed off with them that I went out and bought a laptop to run Linux.    I’ve owned computers in one form or another since the late 1970’s and have had more secondary storage failures than anything else.   When that happens on current Apple hardware you are screwed.  So it is hard for me to consider a Mac hardware that can’t use standard storage components.  
  • Reply 23 of 30
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,368member
    Nice article. Including the NUC’s external power supply in the footprint was thoughtful because it levels the playing field quite a bit. 

I’ve used older NUCs for prototyping and seem to recall their fans could be rather annoying and software drivers were not always on the fast track in terms of release timeliness. The form factor is great and the memory and internal storage upgradability is head and shoulders better than the Mac Mini for those folks who care about that sort of thing. 

The main challenge I see with the NUCs is that they’re getting cannibalized from below by much cheaper (albeit lower performance) mini PCs and stick PCs that are geared towards appliance applications. At the low-med desktop level you’re paying a premium for the form factor and people who aren’t desperate for space will often opt for a more traditional form factor. The NUC is a fairly decent desktop machine suitable for a wide number of users but it lives in a narrow niche, kind of like tiny houses. 

As far as the Mac Mini is concerned, I’ll say it again, there’s no compelling reason why Apple should make memory and storage upgrades on the Mini such a chore. Who would be hurt or otherwise disadvantaged if Apple provided a much easier way to upgrade memory and storage on the Mini? I’m not going to take the easy route and blame it on bottom line issues. I think it’s pure stubbornness mixed with a little narcissism by the designers who love their own design so much they don’t want to do anything to alter its beauty (in their mind). To me it’s a tool, a pretty tool, but if putting an access hatch on it makes it a better tool, I’m all in.  
  • Reply 24 of 30
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    jpellino said:
    NUC running Ubuntu would be a very solid solution.  When I had drive issues on a previous MacBook (pre-iPad days), I had Ubuntu running off a thumb drive on the Mac while I sorted out the drive replacement.  Heck, there are days when I live off the Raspberry Pi that I periodically forget is screwed to the back of my TV...

I'm still Mac every day because of network / mdm duties and the iOS macOS integrated ecosystem.  
    I’m no Linux geek, but I bought a NUC and installed Ubuntu to host my Plex server. The Linux version of the server is (in some ways) more capable than the MacOS version. It was difficult to set up and I’m thankful it doesn’t need a lot of configuration because I don’t think I could keep up. But the NUC/Ubuntu combo is a transcoding monster that my old Mac Mini Plex server just couldn’t touch. 

I’m interested to get some 4K media in my library & see how the NUC handles that load. 
  • Reply 25 of 30
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    wizard69 said:
    It is Apples current SSD implementation that got me so pissed off with them that I went out and bought a laptop to run Linux.    I’ve owned computers in one form or another since the late 1970’s and have had more secondary storage failures than anything else.
    How many of those failures have been SSDs?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 30
    YP101YP101 Posts: 160member
    I think NUC can run Mac OS these days.
    New PCIE expansion NUC is very interesting.
    I saw some OEM will make their own version as well.(CES2020 show already has some model.)

I wonder Apple will create something similar version as so called Mac mini Pro.
    Apple needs to stop soldering SSD. They try to sell more iCloud but.. simple swap SSD is prevent to dump entire machine.
    After 2 years, if SSD failed on any Apple PC products will be throw into garbage can. Great recycling program by Apple?
  • Reply 27 of 30
    As an ex Mac mini user (2012) the usb an bluetooth were not alway reliable, is this the same for the 2018-current editions?
    not to expand on the equipment listed here, but how would Dell's Opti-Plex compare?
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 28 of 30
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    As an ex Mac mini user (2012) the usb an bluetooth were not alway reliable, is this the same for the 2018-current editions?
    not to expand on the equipment listed here, but how would Dell's Opti-Plex compare?
    You may want to be a little more specific. Which OptiPlex? It’s a lineup of computers going on for more than a decade, and since it is Dell, there are probably 100 models.

The Bluetooth and USB reliability in Mac mini is basically the same as most other computers. 8 years ago, there were likely compatibility issues with Bluetooth because the standard was evolving pretty quickly, but today it should be as reliable as any computer is and largely depends on the quality of the accessory.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Very nice article. While I am all iPad when mobile, and more, I have used a mini PC for years for my home media center, which provides easy access to streaming media, iTunes library and general web usage on the big screen. Very simple. Very affordable. A thousand times more useful than a standard streaming box or stick. It is the difference between “smart tv” and “Genius TV.”

If it goes bad, I lay out another 300 dollars, and just plug the new one in, adjust a few settings, download my content, links, and settings from cloud storage , and a External drive of backups. The small form factor is great for the low profile setting, and with a small upgrade of RAM, it works like a dream. A second mini has replaced my home PC, and resides Upstairs in my office for general word processing, downloading to a printer, and maintaining my iTunes library. Obviously, my needs are very simple. While I hesitate to use the term “disposable,” the fact for me is that low cost, low hassle computing, where possible, sure removes a lot of the angst of purchasing and maintaining a single major hub in full form profile. Naturally, ymMV. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Eh. Why a Mac Mini over a MacBook Air that you can frequently get at $800 and sometimes as little as $700 (and by this I mean new and not refurbished, open box or anything like that)?