Apple Watch alerts YouTuber to potential tachycardia

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
Joel Telling, who presents the YouTube channel "3D Printing Nerd," went to the emergency room after his Apple Watch Series 4 alerted him to an elevated heart rate.

Apple Watch monitoring heart rate during exercise. Joel Telling was not doing a workout when his Apple Watch Series 4 alerted him to an elevated heart rate
Apple Watch monitoring heart rate during exercise. Joel Telling was not doing a workout when his Apple Watch Series 4 alerted him to an elevated heart rate

In a series of tweets, YouTuber Joel Telling has recounted how an alert on his Apple Watch Series 4 resulted in his going to the ER. The Watch's health systems displayed a high heart rate notification, indicating that his heart rate had risen abnormally during a period without apparent exercise.

Last night was fun. This is me in the ER because of tachycardia, with a pulse over 120bpm. Heart tests are fun. pic.twitter.com/rYR8Ctfqn4

-- Joel Telling - 3D Printing Nerd (@joeltelling)

"Last night was fun," he said on Twitter, explaining how he'd gone to hospital because he had a pulse over 120bpm. "This is because my Apple Watch notified me of an elevated heart rate. This little device I wear on my wrist is amazing."

This is not the first time that Apple Watch has detected such abnormal heart rates and alerted the user. In February 2019, a nurse was taken to hospital by colleagues following such an alert.

Then in March 2019, a man alerted to tachycardia, or elevated heart rate, went to hospital where he began receiving treatment.

In the new case of "3D Printing Nerd" YouTuber Joel Telling, the cause was identified after a few hours with further hospital tests.

"Thankfully," continued Telling, "tests showed no pulmonary embolism, and no irregular heart electrical activity. Most likely this is from stress and dehydration from recent travel. Very VERY thankful to hear that because after a few bags of fluids, pulse was down."

"If you take anything from this - be mindful of your health and pay attention to any warning signs," he concluded.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Looks like he's in the Kids Ward... with the paintings on the wall.  :D
    curtis hannahcentaurravnorodom
  • Reply 2 of 26
    I'd verify it myself with my finger on my artery and a stopwatch first before believing it.  I've found my AW3 almost always is wrong when I am doing a workout (walk).  It starts out over 120bpm and takes at least 5 minutes before it settles down to the 70-80 range.  It used to scare me but now I know it's just plain wrong.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    I'd verify it myself with my finger on my artery and a stopwatch first before believing it.  I've found my AW3 almost always is wrong when I am doing a workout (walk).  It starts out over 120bpm and takes at least 5 minutes before it settles down to the 70-80 range.  It used to scare me but now I know it's just plain wrong.
    The article states that the high heart-rate was sudden, with no exercise.  It's different from doing exercise, and one's heart rate goes up from that.  
    bshankmacplusplusGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 26
    sflocal said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    The article states that the high heart-rate was sudden, with no exercise.  It's different from doing exercise, and one's heart rate goes up from that.  
    Yeah, except for me, my rate goes down from 120bpm just walking across the street down to around 80 (which of course is wrong).  I'm not questioning the guy had an actual event, just that I've found I can't trust my AW with regards to HR.
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 5 of 26
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    sflocal said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Yeah, except for me, my rate goes down from 120bpm just walking across the street down to around 80 (which of course is wrong).  I'm not questioning the guy had an actual event, just that I've found I can't trust my AW with regards to HR.
    I remember reading articles a while back about the AW's difficulty in monitoring vitals for certain people, particularly if the wearer has very hairy arms as one example.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 26
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    The AW tells you that your heart rate is elevated, but it doesn't tell you *why*.  I recently went to the ER because my AW told me the same thing as this blogger.  It turned out I was just dehydrated.  I'm not advocating people not go to the ER when their AW tells them their heart rate is abnormally high.  But in my case, I wish I had thought of dehydration as a possible cause and measured again after having had a few glasses of water.   Would have saved me hours in the ER and quite a few dollars.

GeorgeBMacravnorodom
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Oh lordy... 120 BPM is NOTHING....even if resting. Definitely not an ER event. At most an urgent care. If sustained above 140 while totally rested get it checked out. But ER for 120, not worth reading about in an otherwise healthy individual if no signs of feeling faint or shortness of breath. I had a sustained resting 194 BPM caused by allergic reaction for 15+ minutes. Later when went to cardiologist she laughed and said did you feel faint did you have shortness of breath. Nope and nope. Nothing to worry about. In fact ENCOURAGED intense exercise to get above 150 BPM. She said EMT's, ER docs, and primary care docs all think it is a big deal and it isn't absent fainting or trouble breathing. Even AFIB indications should go to primary care...not that urgent for an ER visit unless have other significant issues.
    steveauGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 26
    I’ve gotten this notice maybe twice, both times were during the opening songs at concerts  I was super excited for. Didn’t bother going to the emergency room. ¯\(°_o)/¯ 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    tjwolf said:
    The AW tells you that your heart rate is elevated, but it doesn't tell you *why*.  I recently went to the ER because my AW told me the same thing as this blogger.  It turned out I was just dehydrated.  I'm not advocating people not go to the ER when their AW tells them their heart rate is abnormally high.  But in my case, I wish I had thought of dehydration as a possible cause and measured again after having had a few glasses of water.   Would have saved me hours in the ER and quite a few dollars.

I’m guessing the Apple Watch can’t say “why” because to do that it would need to be FDA approved.
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    tjwolf said:

I’m guessing the Apple Watch can’t say “why” because to do that it would need to be FDA approved.
    Or like an actual doctor to give a medical opinion.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    ITGUYINSD said:
    I’ve had the 0, 3, and 4, and during exercise it’s HR is usually almost exactly the same as the sensor readings from my gym’s cardio machines. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    tjwolf said:

And yet you acted on the information that the watch gave you. That means the watch is doing it’s job. If you ignored it and the threat was real would you blame the watch because you didn’t act?

If you were dehydrated then great, the hospital would have hydrated you properly. If it was a real heart attack then great you got the treatment you needed. In either case you were treated correctly because you acted on the information given to you. Apple Watch did its job.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    The Apple Watch 4 ECG is a one lead early warning system PERIOD. And clearly states that it has detected something out the ordinary in your normal behavior and to seek a medical opinion.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 14 of 26
    tjwolf said:

And yet you acted on the information that the watch gave you. That means the watch is doing it’s job. If you ignored it and the threat was real would you blame the watch because you didn’t act?

If you were dehydrated then great, the hospital would have hydrated you properly. If it was a real heart attack then great you got the treatment you needed. In either case you were treated correctly because you acted on the information given to you. Apple Watch did its job.
    FYI - The Apple Watch in no way shape or form claims to be able to detect or warn of a heart attack. At most, it is looking a heart rate patterns and in the case of an ECG an obvious rhythm disturbance. I love my Apple Watch Series 5 but I know it ain't a heart attack detector by any means... good for fitness tracking though.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 26
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    macmarcus said:
    tjwolf said:

Or like an actual doctor to give a medical opinion.
    Just wait, around about AW series 10 it should be able to diagnose and prescribe. BTW: iSat-Phone: I want one!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 26
    sflocal said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    sflocal said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    I remember reading articles a while back about the AW's difficulty in monitoring vitals for certain people, particularly if the wearer has very hairy arms as one example.
    I have hairy arms and it works fine, the core issue with incorrect readings is almost always a because the wearer has a loose fit. If one can see the green light, it's not on tight enough.

That said the watch is not ideal for detecting fast changes in heart rate (such as those experienced when lifting weights), for those one will still need a chest strap. Conveniently the Apple watch pairs with these anyway (and it actually saves the watch's battery too.)
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 26
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    Maybe that Watch should have gone back to Apple during the warranty period. It's performance may not be indicative of all Watches, just as mine that's never missed a beat compared to manual and another consumer BP monitor, a consumer Pulse oximeter, and hospital Plus-ox is only one data point. There are a lot of others that suggest the Apple Watch as opposed to your Watch, is pretty accurate within its scope of functionality.

People whom a doctor may see as at risk for a possible cardiac event are often put on out-patient monitors and sometimes telemetry. It appears this provides continuous monitoring of the heart rate, and possibly detect arrhythmia, using chest electrodes. 

That seems pretty similar to what the Watch does but on a more accurate, sophisticated scale. And the Watch couldn't do it continuously for  24hrs.

If my Watch showed my pulse to be abnormally high I might check it manually and hope it's wrong, but I'd be very doubtful. Like stated previously, it's job is to alert not diagnose. That's good enough for me. They may well be non-life threatening episodes of some nature, but I'd want to know WTF.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 26
    "Man goes to the emergency room after forgetting to drink water" sounds like an appropriate title here.

Seriously, if you worry about your life you head straight to the emergency room; it's better to get laughed out of the building several times, then dying once.

But… You also need to apply a bit of common sense, and learn how to interpret a warning sign.

I've gotten several warnings about elevated heart rate while at rest, but without it being a super extreme elevation, and with no other signs, I simply didn't have enough cause to run straight to the emergency room. So I just booked a regular doctor's appointment (~7 days waiting time; in Sweden). If I did stupid I'll give you all an update when I actually see the doctor tomorrow.  :D
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    ITGUYINSD said:

Mine does the same.   But I am sure it is right.
    The proof is:  after getting in shape with enough running the watch (and my heart) stop doing it.

So, the best way to fix your watch might be to walk further & faster & more often -- or even begin a running program.

Essentially what you are seeing is the inverse of what happens after a hard aerobic workout (heart rate @ 85-90% of its max) if you end it suddenly -- you get dizzy and feel weak.   That is because your body & vascular systems haven't adjusted back to normal mode yet.  And, while your heart has slowed down, your arteries are still dilated trying to get oxygen & fuel to your muscles -- which leaves your brain deprived.   In the case of starting out, your arteries have not yet dilated (among other things) and your heart starts pumping hard trying to force oxygen and fuel to your muscles.

Getting in better condition will mostly or entirely fix that problem.  Alternatively, you can start out slower and/or warm up first with dynamic stretching.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    macmarcus said:
    Oh lordy... 120 BPM is NOTHING....even if resting. Definitely not an ER event. At most an urgent care. If sustained above 140 while totally rested get it checked out. But ER for 120, not worth reading about in an otherwise healthy individual if no signs of feeling faint or shortness of breath. I had a sustained resting 194 BPM caused by allergic reaction for 15+ minutes. Later when went to cardiologist she laughed and said did you feel faint did you have shortness of breath. Nope and nope. Nothing to worry about. In fact ENCOURAGED intense exercise to get above 150 BPM. She said EMT's, ER docs, and primary care docs all think it is a big deal and it isn't absent fainting or trouble breathing. Even AFIB indications should go to primary care...not that urgent for an ER visit unless have other significant issues.

Totally, 100% agree.   Especially the part about ER docs & such over reacting and, unless it is an emergency, stay out of the ER (seek a more sane alternative).   It's a dangerous place.  Particularly for potential heart issues, they will look until they find something -- then you are on their conveyor belt...
    edited January 2020 watto_cobra