Scotland police don't seem to have any problem getting data off locked iPhones

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    The biggest problem with requiring Apple to put a back door in its devices is that it will inevitably be more useful to the bad guys than the good guys and then law enforcement will be hastily asking Apple to remove the back door as money flows out of the accounts of the world’s citizens and into the coffers of the crims! I worked in law enforcement intelligence for many years and what you soon come to realise is that the bad guys have far better and greater resources than law enforcement agencies do AND, by their very nature, they don’t care about rules, policies or the law in how they utilise those resources. No back door that Apple could conceivably put in their devices will be immune from being used by criminals. They will find it and they will use it... then you can kiss any form of privacy (and your money) goodbye.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 24
    The biggest problem with requiring Apple to put a back door in its devices is that it will inevitably be more useful to the bad guys than the good guys and then law enforcement will be hastily asking Apple to remove the back door as money flows out of the accounts of the world’s citizens and into the coffers of the crims! I worked in law enforcement intelligence for many years and what you soon come to realise is that the bad guys have far better and greater resources than law enforcement agencies do AND, by their very nature, they don’t care about rules, policies or the law in how they utilise those resources. No back door that Apple could conceivably put in their devices will be immune from being used by criminals. They will find it and they will use it... then you can kiss any form of privacy (and your money) goodbye.
    If the US Congress “commands” all tech companies to provide backdoors to encryption, I will get rid of my phone and go back to a non-“smartphone”. These jackasses will destroy the economy and the ability for any type of secure communications or transactions, unless the public pushes back strongly.
    edited January 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 24
    I just wanted to commend everyone on this site (commenters and moderators) for focusing on the technology and civil liberties aspects of this issue.

I used to frequent another technology site as well, but their comments section has devolved into a cesspool of partisan politics.

edited January 2020 Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 24
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    What the Met isn't say is that all the phones they cracked had the same password: