Tile to testify against Apple in House Judiciary Committee antitrust hearing [updated with...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2020
Tile has joined a number of smaller companies seeking to speak out against Apple's, Google's, Amazon's and FaceBook's alleged anti-competitive practices before the House Judiciary Committee.

Tile

Tile, a tracking device that helps users locate misplaced items, will meet with the House Judiciary Committee's antitrust subcommittee to raise concerns about big tech's ability to push smaller companies out of the market..

For many years, Apple and Tile had an amicable relationship. Apple carried Tile in its stores and sold it on Apple.com. In 2018, Apple worked closely with one of Tile's engineers to help incorporate Siri into the Tile ecosystem.

However, as rumors of Apple developing its own item tracker began to surface, the relationship between Apple and Tile started to change. In June of 2019, Apple stopped selling Tile's products in their retail stores and on their website. Apple would then go on to hire one of Tile's engineers.

"After thoughtful consideration and months of bringing our concerns to Apple through regular ... channels, Tile has made the decision to continue raising concerns over Apple's anti-competitive practices," Tile general counsel Kirsten Daru told Reuters in an interview.

The story parallels that of LunaDisplay and Duet Display, who claimed that Apple had "Sherlocked" them in order to develop its Sidecar feature.

Apple Pay has also been placed under scrutiny in the EU, as Apple does not allow access to the iPhone's onboard NFC chip to third-party banking apps. Banks and rival payment services have claimed the same restrictions make alternative payment services less attractive due to using other methods, such as barcodes and QR codes.

Three other companies will join Tile in testifying before the Judiciary Committee in Colorado on Friday. They hope to spur Congress to look into how large tech companies can use their brand recognition and resources to hurt smaller rivals.

Other companies are subject to the probe, including Facebook, Amazon, and Alphabet's Google. In September of 2019, House lawmakers had begun asking companies to provide information on how their businesses have been hurt by anti-competitive behavior from major tech companies.

Update:

As reported by The Verge's Nilay Patel, Tile takes issue not only with iOS 13 restrictions, namely app management and access to "Find My," but also the fact that its devices are not granted access to iPhone 11's UWB radios. Daru also mentioned reports of Apple's as-yet-unreleased Tile competitor, which is expected to see integration with Find My.

Apple later in the day released a statement pertaining to the House Antitrust Subcommittee hearing, detailing its stance on the matter and noting it is working with developers interested in enabling "Always Allow" location tracking functionality to enable that feature. The full statement was published by CNBC's Kif Leswing on Twitter:
Apple builds its hardware, software and system level apps to protect user privacy and provide the best products and ecosystem in the world. Apple has not built a business model around knowing a customer's location or the location of their device.

When setting up a new device users can choose to turn on Location Services to help find a lost or misplaced device with Find My iPhone, an app that users have come to rely on since 2010. Customers have control over their location data, including the location of their device. If user's don't want to enable these features, there's a clear, easy to understand setting where they can choose exactly which locations services they want enabled or disabled.

In regard to third-party apps, we created the App Store with two goals in mind: that it be a safe and trusted place for customers to discover and download apps, and a great business opportunity for all developers. We continually work with developers and take their feedback on how to help protect user privacy while also providing the tools developers need to make the best app experiences.

We're currently working with developers interested in enabling the "Always Allow" functionality to enable that feature at the time of setup in a future software update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Concentration of wealth means concentration of all industries. High end fashion brands are now all owned by 3 international conglomerates. Designers, visionaries within those original brands are gone and its all about profit and keeping cost down to please investors. Does this sound familiar to any of you? 

Companies like Apple are another example of profits over foresight. Jobs was replaced by a production chain expert, Jon Ive left and it is "design by committee" in his place, expect the same old, dulled down industrial design going forward. 

I think some of you feel this in your gut but are not willing to admit it. Apple is not that exciting as it use to be, it's products and services are not that distinctive. An Apple diehard customer since 1994. 
    edited January 2020 chaickacornchip
  • Reply 2 of 17
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    spice-boy said:
    Concentration of wealth means concentration of all industries. High end fashion brands are now all owned by 3 international conglomerates. Designers, visionaries within those original brands are gone and its all about profit and keeping cost down to please investors. Does this sound familiar to any of you? 

Companies like Apple are another example of profits over foresight. Jobs was replaced by a production chain expert, Jon Ive left and it is "design by committee" in his place, expect the same old, dulled down industrial design going forward. 

I think some of you feel this in your gut but are not willing to admit it. Apple is not that exciting as it use to be, it's products and services are not that distinctive. An Apple diehard customer since 1994. 

B.S......
    Solimagman1979thtStrangeDaysviclauyycjony0ronnfastasleeptmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    mwhite said:
    spice-boy said:

B.S......
    Thank you for your eloquent and well thought-out response. Could you sum up your views on the earth not being round with similar brevity? 
    Anilu_777gatorguy
  • Reply 4 of 17
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    spice-boy said:

Doomsday fanciful nonsense, tinted with nostalgia for the good ole days. Jobs as product manager is a rarity in corporate leadership, and not normal; so while he was doing product management Cook as COO was serving the normal CEO duties, and continues to do so. That isn’t doom. You also have dick for evidence that there is an anemic design by committee culture. As CDO Ive was surely not designing everything personally and by himself. Absurd. The design group within Apple is a famously small group and perhaps the most coveted. 

As for distinctive products, you’re nuts. My 2019 iMac 5K is a joy to use and head & shoulders over HP, Dell, etc. The new MP and monitor is nothing if not distinctive. My iPhone 11 Pro is the best phone i’ve owned, AirPods are the new target of countless ripoffs, AirPods Pro are kickass, etc etc. 

You sound like just another “everything sucks now” debbie downer, expecting your computing gear to provide you with dopamine hits to breakup the dull drums of life. 

“Oh but I’ve been an Apple fan since 1977!”
    lordjohnwhorfinlollivermwhiteronnfastasleeptmaywatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 5 of 17
    When someone disagrees with my point of view I would appreciate they leave out personal insults, it makes this forum a place to exchange ideas in a civil way. I know you are not a dummy but I am dumbfounded that you resort to calling me "nuts" "Debbie downer" which does nothing to prove you point and makes you look insecure and bit of a bully. 

I don't know what you and some others are afraid of? Was it the years of the "beleaguered" label which still haunts you? Don't worry Apple is like every other mega corporation in the world, a money machine that will squash the little guy either by buying them out or suing the shit out of them until they disappear. Trust me I'm not nostalgic at all and always have been an early adapter when I feel something better has arrived. I still prefer Apple's product over the other but its products are no longer inspired or inspiring. Apple corporate weight has crushed its creative soul. I'm sure saying this on a fan site will find few that agree, but I bet I'm not the only one thinks this but maybe one of the few with enough balls to say so. 

gatorguy
  • Reply 6 of 17
    spice-boy said:

Jobs hired the production guy, Tim Cook.

Sir Jony had a great run, but it’s time for his mentees to move Apple forward.

Given Apple’s mantra is about simplifying and making the user experience better, the more integration with systems that years ago would seem peripheral to a targeted system or experience are now being brought into the fold.

Is Apple gargantuan?  Yes, but the customer experience has grown because of it and now demands more, whether the customer realizes it or not. 
    lolliverronnfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    The argument about payment systems has an obvious flaw. If I go to Starbucks, say, I can either use my physical debit/credit card, Apple Pay (with those same cards) or the Starbucks app (which I load via Apple Pay). If I use the app I get points from Starbucks. There’s no antitrust here. It’s my choice and no hardship to use one over the other. That’s crazy that the banks claim bias. I use their card within Apple Pay. What’s the problem?? Only if their card doesn’t support Apple Pay I just won’t get the card in the first place (Capital One is the only one I can think of). 
    edited January 2020 lolliverronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    dedgecko said:
    spice-boy said:

Given Apple’s mantra is about simplifying and making the user experience better, the more integration with systems that years ago would seem peripheral to a targeted system or experience are now being brought into the fold.

Is Apple gargantuan?  Yes, but the customer experience has grown because of it and now demands more, whether the customer realizes it or not. 
    Thanks for your reply. I understand what you are saying however the problems I see with Apple's products and now expanding services is the lack of inspired thinking. Most of Apples' expansion has been in response to what others in the market have already created. One could argue Apple Music would not have been created if Spotify and others had not perfected the idea first. Apple TV+ had a clumsy "me too" quality or lack of quality to it. The iPhone keep getting heavier, while using a form factor which is decades old.  Look at how many menus deep iOS is today, not exactly minimalist. 
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Thanks for your reply. I understand what you are saying however the problems I see with Apple's products and now expanding services is the lack of inspired thinking. Most of Apples' expansion has been in response to what others in the market have already created. One could argue Apple Music would not have been created if Spotify and others had not perfected the idea first. Apple TV+ had a clumsy "me too" quality or lack of quality to it. The iPhone keep getting heavier, while using a form factor which is decades old.  Look at how many menus deep iOS is today, not exactly minimalist. 

I don't disagree with the lack of inspired products since the death of Steve Jobs. My beef is against the staleness of the iMac design, components and features since the introduction of the "thin at the edges" new iMac design in 2014 by an uninspired, mourning Jony Ive.

The Late 2009 iMac design is part of the legacy of Steve Jobs. With the Late 2009 iMac, Apple engineers accomplished the impossible: create an all-in-one desktop computer for the general public that was both elegant and not lacking any of the main features of a desktop computer.

Can the Late 2009 iMac ever be modified ? Yes, but only if it is an improvement over the previous generation of iMac. The problem with the "thin at the edges" iMac 2014-2019 design is that it is built with the same compromises as a "thin and light" mobile computer like the iPad, the iPhone, and every portable MacBook. The iMac is a no compromise desktop computer, not a "thin and light" mobile computer.

The Late 2009 iMac had a thickness of one inch around the edges of the computer. Can it be any thinner, say 3/4 of an inch thick, possibly 5/16 of an inch ? Maybe, but only if you don't sacrifice the exceptional sound quality made possible by the empty space at the back of the monitor. And only if you don't sacrifice the quality of construction and ease of repairs made possible by the empty space at the back of the monitor. And only if you can evacuate the heat generated by current and future desktop components where power is synonym with heat.

To come back to the lack of creativity at Apple, Apple was never an innovator. It always copied and improved upon what others initiated. Apple didn't create the computer, the personal computer, the computer operating system, the portable music player, the cell phone, the watch (or the car, if that initiative ever comes to bear fruit... ).

Apple customer since 1988. Now shareholder through my Technology mutual fund.

edited January 2020
  • Reply 10 of 17
    spice-boy said:
    dedgecko said:
    spice-boy said:

I think the backlash you get to some of these comments is due to extreme vehement disagreement that "its products are no longer inspired or inspiring" as you put it. As a content creator, I'm finding myself increasingly empowered by the tools that Apple provides. My iPad Pro and Pencil 2 are incredible creative devices to me, yet it like my Mac, are refinements of previous tools that existed before them. Things aren't going to suddenly change drastically for no reason, Apple refines and iterates and builds on things that work. The iPhone form factor? What shape do you want it to be? The X generation of iPhone is the best I've ever had, and integration between it and my aforementioned devices as well as the Watch, has only grown over the past few years and made all these tools more useful. Not sure what you mean by "how many menus deep iOS is today" — what, like the Settings? I don't have any problems using mine. If you find all of these things to be uninspiring, maybe it's you who's uninspired?
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    spice-boy said:
    Not a personal comment towards spice-boy, but to me, people have gotten way too spoiled with Apple, whining about how Apple hasn’t introduced a revolutionary new product that changed the world (iPhone, iPad, Mac). 

Well, for now, there’s just so much revolution I can take. I am sure one day Apple will introduce the VR iPhone that can project a VR, movie theatre size video screen one day, but only when we’re ready for it. Facebook didn’t understand this one.

Sure, Tim Cook is a chain supply guy more than a Steve Jobs visionary. But he had enough vision to create several, “boring” multi-billion dollar Apple subsidiaries - AirPods, Apple Watch, and Services - to not only give what customers wanted, but answered the amateur predictions that Apple is going to tank because of the “saturated” iPhone market. Cook was already working on that problem before the pundits even brought it up.

Also, the Apple Watch has saved lives. That’s “exciting” enough for me. And when they come out with continuous glucose monitoring, saving even more lives, I’ll celebrate this boring announcement too.
    tmayfastasleepwatto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 12 of 17
    "We're currently working with developers interested in enabling the "Always Allow" functionality to enable that feature at the time of setup in a future software update."
    But meanwhile we will nag your customers to turn off always on GPS that your company relies on for its very existence. Oh sure we used to have "Always Allow" functionality but it has been several months now and we have totally forgotten how to do it. All the best. Your $trillion friend.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Hey AI, you really need to put quotes into a block quote. Or even quotation marks and italics. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    spice-boy said:
    mwhite said:
    spice-boy said:

B.S......
    Thank you for your eloquent and well thought-out response. Could you sum up your views on the earth not being round with similar brevity? 
    actually... it was short, concise, and to the point.  I second it.  B.S.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    spice-boy said:

Let’s pick this apart and examine it in more detail.

Concentration of wealth means concentration of all industries.”

Two different things being concatenated doesn’t make it so.

Designers, visionaries within those original brands are gone and its all about profit and keeping cost down to please investors. Does this sound familiar to any of you?”

Not if you’re specifically referring to Apple, no. Other than Jony Ive, do you have an proof of this?

Companies like Apple are another example of profits over foresight.”

That’s clearly an opinion, and one I don’t share. In the first place, there are no ”companies like Apple”. It’s unique. Second, you sound like all those who think Apple = Bad simply because they’re making a ton of money. In fact, the money is a mere byproduct of Apple’s amazing “foresight”, as you put it. We’ll know when Apple’s foresight is waning, because so will it’s profit.

”...
    expect the same old, dulled down industrial design going forward.”

Again, an opinion with nothing to support it. And again, I don’t share it.

Apple is not that exciting as it use to be, it's products and services are not that distinctive.”

Again, you’re entitled to your own opinion, just not to your own facts. Where’s your support for this contention?

I’d also point out that Apple clearly differentiates itself from other companies’ products and services. They’re “distinctive” enough.

”An Apple diehard customer since 1994.”

I bought my first Apple product, a Mac, in 1984.
    edited January 2020 tmayfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    If you have several years head start and another company comes in and does it better and outsells your product, you only have yourself to blame.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 17
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    spice-boy said:

You had me.. then yo lost me...