Leak suggests Apple may replace Midnight Green with Navy Blue in iPhone 12

Posted:
in General Discussion
Rumors suggest that Apple may be replacing the iPhone 11's Midnight Green flagship color with a Navy Blue for the "iPhone 12."

Image Credit: EverythingApplePro
Image Credit: EverythingApplePro

EverythingApplePro and smartphone leaker Max Weinbach have predicted that Apple will replace Midnight Green with Navy Blue when they release the "iPhone 12." Currently, there are no other sources to suggest whether or not Apple is planning on making the swap.

Exclusive Navy Blue iPhone 12 Pro Leaks w/ @MaxWinebach & latest news https://t.co/aHpjPRYy8y pic.twitter.com/FdVwpNy3Pd

-- EverythingApplePro (@EveryApplePro)

In EverythingApplePro's YouTube video, they suggest that like Midnight Green, the anticipated navy color will be restricted to the higher end Pro models.

Max Winebach has been gaining some notoriety as of late for releasing information on the "Galaxy S20." He also said that the light green color was coming to the iPhone XR first -- but erroneously predicted that it would supplant the yellow. He accurately predicted that Apple would drop the "iPhone" branding from the back of the iPhone, instead favoring a logo-only design.

Other Apple-centric predictions have not come to pass, though. According to Forbes, Winebach had predicted that Apple would feature a matte finish that would feel tangibly different from previous generations in the iPhone 11 family, and also that the Apple Logo would boast a rainbow shimmer.

Aside from a potential Navy Blue being added to the lineup, there have been a plethora of other "iPhone 12" rumors.

Apple is anticipated to launch three models with varying sizes of display. Generally, the rumors point to screens measuring 5.4 inches, 6.1 inches, and 6.7 inches diagonally. Apple may also be shifting over to exclusively using OLED displays, rather than offering an LCD on the lower-end models.

5G is also likely, as other smartphone producers such as LG, Samsung, and Huawei have already begun to include the feature within their phones.

The annual refresh of the iPhone usually happens alongside an update to the A-series processor. Given the last one was the A13, it is probable the next one will be called the "A14," and include further improvements in terms of power usage, performance, and machine learning capabilities.

Ming-Chi Kuo has suggested that the "iPhone 12" could feature a metal frame chassis, suggesting a reimagining of the iPhone 4 design.

There has also been speculation that the notch could be removed entirely, borrowing the idea of the iPad Pro by hiding the TrueDepth camera array in the bezel. Apple is also claimed to be testing multiple prototypes for the iPhone 12 in hopes of removing the notch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    That makes no sense. Adding Navy Blue makes sense. Midnight Green is a new color by Seiko that Tim raved about. It's part of the new direction of colors. I look forward to both of them as options.
    fastasleepcaladanianpscooter63uraharallamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 27
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    That makes no sense. Adding Navy Blue makes sense. Midnight Green is a new color by Seiko that Tim raved about. It's part of the new direction of colors. I look forward to both of them as options.
    I agree.  Plus, I think it's time to get rid of the silver and / or gold.
    edited January 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
     C’mon deep purple...
    fastasleepvisualzoneHank2.0dedgeckowatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 27
    I don’t see the green appealing to a large market. How many woman want green? There’s about half your market gone. 
    As for guys, I see some getting it, but probably less than 5% of total sales. Hey look, I’m an analyst now. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Agree: add, don’t replace. I’m holding out for that green when my year is up.
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 27
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    seankill said:
    I don’t see the green appealing to a large market. How many woman want green? There’s about half your market gone. 
    As for guys, I see some getting it, but probably less than 5% of total sales. Hey look, I’m an analyst now. 
    My sister bought the green, it’s beautiful and she loves it. Is that a good enough sample size for you?
    dedgeckowatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 27
    The color-phobic Jonny Ives is gone, and midnight green was hugely popular last year. So, I expect Apple will be more open to new colors now. But bright colors might be too radical a change. If Apple sticks with dark colors, navy blue is a logical choice. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Maybe Apple will put color back into the sidebar - nahh makes too much sense. 
  • Reply 9 of 27
     C’mon deep purple...
    Yes!! For when we go Space Truckin.
    Arszywatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Uh, slow Apple news day?
  • Reply 11 of 27
    GeeAyeGeeAye Posts: 37unconfirmed, member
    I'd be interested in a poll or survey or something about the visibility of phones after they are bought. Looking around the office and at commuters, all of them have an opaque case of some sort and I either can't tell what colour their phone is or it peaks out at one or both ends of the case (like my rose gold SE does).

If I had a choice of colours, I'd choose one I like (I like the green) - if that is what other people do then the stats on colour choice is just about colour preference and not about being swayed to buy a phone based on colour.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 27
    lonestar1 said:
    The color-phobic Jonny Ives is gone, and midnight green was hugely popular last year. So, I expect Apple will be more open to new colors now. But bright colors might be too radical a change. If Apple sticks with dark colors, navy blue is a logical choice. 
    Wrong. The green was surely in development under his tenure. As were many, many other colors of iphones and ipods over the years. 

There’s an actual dedicated colorist in the design group. Sourcing materials and processes to achieve various color goals is part of the challenge. Cook even talked about that recently. 
    edited January 2020 dedgeckonetmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Maybe Apple will put color back into the sidebar - nahh makes too much sense. 
    This I support. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 27
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    lonestar1 said:
    I think Apple will stick with dark color for Pro (11 Pro, 11 max Pro) and brighter color for Non Pro (11). That way it will differentiate enough between Pro and Non Pro, color and material.

Here are some options for Pro: blue navy, dark purple, orange copper, and probably it's time to remove gold. I think Apple will always keep the standard Space Grey and Silver.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    I’m 100% on board with this. Been hoping for a midnight blue iPhone since they first did the mock-ups of a midnight blue iPhone 7. I also agree with others that they should add this as another option, not a replacement for an existing color. I was a little jealous the iPhone 11 had so many color choices compared to the 11 Pro. 
  • Reply 16 of 27
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member

Midnight green was almost enough to finally succumb to the phablet. Navy Blue might just be a lock depending on March.
    Agree fully they should be trying to expand colour options. If they want a feature colour then maybe they should be trying to do a seasonal colour that changes twice in the year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 27
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    I agree.  Plus, I think it's time to get rid of the silver and / or gold.
    No!  Please .. Silver/Stainless on white is simply gorgeous. IMHO  B)  Gold on the other hand.. I am not into it. I haven't liked how it has looked on any phone, and the Rose to me was even worse. 
    llamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 27
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    seankill said:
    How many woman want green?
    My wife HAD to have it.
    At work, I have only seen females (across age groups) with the Midnight Green.  That doesn't mean there aren't guys, too... but there you have it.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    Imagine an iPhone case made of some super-glass or other translucent material that can change colors on command. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 27
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I've got a green Pro. I like it, but it really only reads as green in really bright light. Otherwise it mostly appears dark gray or even black.
    Carnagewatto_cobra