Apple TV+ nears series order for Scott Z. Burns new anthology 'Extrapolations'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2020
Apple TV+ is close to sealing the deal on a new series based on Scott Z. Burns' climate change anthology "Extrapolations."

Scott Z. Burns

Burns is a writer, director, and producer who is most known for "An Inconvenient Truth" and "The Report."

The scripted series will be produced by Media Res, known for producing Apple's "The Morning Show." Media Res has also partnered with Apple TV+ on "Pachinko" and a Brie Larson CIA drama.

Burns will act as executive producer on "Extrapolations." The series will tell "intimate stories of how the upcoming changes to our planet will affect love, faith, work and family on a personal and human scale." The stories will be interwoven through the season and follow the "worldwide battle for our mutual survival spanning the 21st century."

"Most of the storytelling around climate change has focused on the science and getting people to accept it," Burns told Variety "Our aim with Extrapolations' is to move beyond science and use drama, comedy, mystery and every other genre to allow us to consider how every aspect of our world is going to be changing in the years ahead."

Customers who purchase any new iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Mac, or iPod touch can enjoy one year of Apple TV+ for free. The one-year free offer can be redeemed in the Apple TV app on the device running the latest software, within three months of the device's activation. The subscription will automatically renew at $4.99 per month after one year, its usual price outside of the offer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Will they do a story on the negative  impact of the “market based solutions”* so loved by the political class and their useful idiots to solve the problem identified by the science on the cost of living, lifestyles and way of life of people in the lower half of the population? Or will the scenario explore the consequences of ever bigger mommy government to provide tonnes of free stuff to offset what the government has done to them?

* a euphemism for massive government intervention that would make the old soviets blush, and endless subsidies and ticket clipping opportunities for the big end of town.  If it was really about the science, it would be all an aggressive build out of dams for hydro, fracking for gas and nuclear energy to provide lower emissions and high reliability required for an industrial society, rather than complex and expensive build outs of scaled up, highly variable cottage industry power that requires massive market rigging.

i guess the plan is for industry to all go to other countries so the corporate and political classes in their leafy enclaves can feel good about themselves?

In looking for solutions, it is important the solutions are not worse than the disease.
    cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    entropys said:
    Will they do a story on the negative  impact of the “market based solutions”* so loved by the political class and their useful idiots to solve the problem identified by the science on the cost of living, lifestyles and way of life of people in the lower half of the population? Or will the scenario explore the consequences of ever bigger mommy government to provide tonnes of free stuff to offset what the government has done to them?

* a euphemism for massive government intervention that would make the old soviets blush, and endless subsidies and ticket clipping opportunities for the big end of town.  If it was really about the science, it would be all an aggressive build out of dams for hydro, fracking for gas and nuclear energy to provide lower emissions and high reliability required for an industrial society, rather than complex and expensive build outs of scaled up, highly variable cottage industry power that requires massive market rigging.

i guess the plan is for industry to all go to other countries so the corporate and political classes in their leafy enclaves can feel good about themselves?

In looking for solutions, it is important the solutions are not worse than the disease.
    Fracking is the solution? Yeah no, I like my water not flammable. 

Nuclear isn't an ideal solution either, as we've already seen with two massive disasters in its relatively young history. I like my fish uncontaminated. 
    tmay
  • Reply 3 of 15
    How is this Apple Hollywood pablum the top story while the two-faced shenanigans of Cook to cave to the FBI in allowing insecure iCloud backups not?   In any case, I'm guessing these "intimate stories" of climate change will be carefully screen by Cook to ensure no offense to China -  the world’s largest source of planet-warming carbon emissions and air pollution.  
    lkrupp
  • Reply 4 of 15
    entropys said:

Nuclear isn't an ideal solution either, as we've already seen with two massive disasters in its relatively young history. I like my fish uncontaminated. 
    Choices are never easy. You do not negate options with risks you personally don’t like for others that just have a different set of risks you don’t factor in.

in case your wondering, my preference is a single, global tax on greenhouse gas emissions, and absolutely nothing else (on the mitigation side anyway). No carbon trading with its endless opportunities for graft and corruption (thus no ticket clipping), no subsidies for one energy source over another, no subsidies for lobbyists with “solutions”. No government emissions targets that are always conveniently well beyond the term of the carpet bagger scumbag politician spruiking it.

If it isn’t global, all the imposing country is doing is shifting industry offshore to countries that don’t have the same controls. End result total failure. In fact it is worse as you are just making your own country poorer for no result. In fact it is worse than that as in reducing your country’s wealth, you are making you country less able to deal with the climate changes hat happen anyway. It’s time to stop giving China and India a free pass.
    the onky other thing than a global carbon tax governments should pursue is climate adaptation strategies to deal with the climate change that will happen anyway after all the trillions and trillions wasted in subsidies do little else than line carpet baggers’ pockets to the detriment of everyone else.

fotoformat
  • Reply 5 of 15
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    markbyrn said:
    How is this Apple Hollywood pablum the top story while the two-faced shenanigans of Cook to cave to the FBI in allowing insecure iCloud backups not?   In any case, I'm guessing these "intimate stories" of climate change will be carefully screen by Cook to ensure no offense to China -  the world’s largest source of planet-warming carbon emissions and air pollution.  

Insecure? You obviously have no idea what the issue is.

First of all, the story of Tim Cook caving to the FBI is not at all a proven fact. It is merely something someone outside of Apple mentioned as a possibility given the fact that Apple has been working on E2E iOS backups for a couple of years now. The FACT is, no one knows why Apple has not instituted that policy. The only thing that comes remotely close to it, is Tim Cook stating that most users expect Apple to be able to recover data if/when a password is lost - they would not be able to do that if everything had E2E encryption. How would you feel if you spent thousands of dollars on iTunes content and forgot your iTunes password and could no longer play or get access to that content? The fact is, Apple has been building up E2E encryption in its services over time... For all we know they're probably working on a feature for iOS 14 that does just that and that's why someone recently over heard the FBI asking Apple not to do it.

Second, everything on iCloud, your iCloud Drive, your contacts, photos, even your iOS backups are encrypted and secure on Apple's servers. The issue is that iOS backups are not end-to-end encrypted. Your iOS backups are uploaded, encrypted and then saved on Apple's servers. No one but Apple and you have access to any data stored on iCloud. With the appropriate warrants Apple can turn that data over to the authorities. Just as they can any of your data stored on iCloud. Just as almost every cloud storage service can.

tmaycornchip
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Welcome to the newest Apple propaganda series. Apple should phase in a total return of money to its investors since we have only 10- 12 years left to spend it. I know this is true because a 16 year old expert has declared it to be so. It must be true because she is so earnest and insistent to the point of mania. Good grief. 
    sdw2001cornchipentropys
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    Can't we just get plain old entertainment without the brain numbing promotion of various causes? Give me belly laughs and glue-to-your-seat action and adventure. No wonder people are still watching re-runs of "Friends", "Star Wars" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark".
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Yikes, this is really troubling. He wants to “... move beyond science and use drama, comedy, mystery and every other genre."

All this is simply going to do is to add to the noise-to-signal ratio, the last thing we need in an already ridiculously politicized issue. The science is plenty good, and we should stop at that: no more, no less.

I am guessing that a certain Apple board member had something to do with this...
    cornchip
  • Reply 9 of 15
    This will only be watch by the Progressive Liberal Left Wing Environmentalists like Greta Thornberg type crowd!  Apple TV+ agenda seems to be the same as the MSM!
    trashman69cornchip
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Apple TV+ Is more about political virtue signaling and less about entertainment.

Blatant pandering to Hollywood “Elites” for awards is embarrassing.

Apple used to be about the customer - but not when it comes to Apple TV+.  It’s about
    standing on a soap box and preaching.

As an apple fan and investor - I’m finding this very frustrating.

cornchipentropys
  • Reply 11 of 15
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I was initially optimistic towards Apple TV+ and I even tried to keep an open mind and gave them the benefit of the doubt, but virtually every new release seems to be left wing propaganda and social justice warrior crap and nonsense.

It's just one virtue signaling series after another. 

My Apple TV+ is free for now, but I'm definitely not paying 5 dollars a month when my year is up. This is getting beyond ridiculous and they're really pushing their beliefs. I wouldn't even pay 1 dollar a month if they keep making the sorts of content that they've been making.

I'm supposed to feel glad and be entertained when watching TV, not angry and frustrated.

They are catering to a small, extremist subset of the population with their current politically motivated content, and all that is going to be achieved is that there will be a large number of people who are put off by it.

Make some damn entertainment, leave your crappy religious beliefs at home because nobody cares about them.

They like to talk about diversity, well, Apple TV isn't exactly diverse. It's becoming more and more divisive. It's becoming boring, predictable and extremely sad in terms of their content.

I have this plot for a series I've been working on. I tried to cater it to fit in with Apple TV +. Do you think I should submit it to them?

The series is about an illegal alien dark brown person who also happens to be a midget and an LGBTQABCDEF person and he/she/it/whatever is studying to become a climate scientist, and the person enrolls in a university where they stumble upon a huge metoo scandal involving a few professors who happen to be evil males. Where will this all end up? Stay tuned to find out.

Apple, give me 50 million and I can start production on it immediately. I promise to favor diversity over talent and political agendas over entertainment, because that's what's important.

Having said all that, I am still looking forward to Band of Brothers #3. Please don't mess that up.
    edited January 2020 cornchipentropystrashman69
  • Reply 12 of 15
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    entropys said:

Fracking does not cause flammable water.  That is a complete farce.  And if you are opposed to nuclear, what are you proposing?  
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 13 of 15
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    What a disgusting piece of corporate virtue-signaling propaganda.  

"Our aim with Extrapolations' is to move beyond science and use drama, comedy, mystery and every other genre to allow us to consider how every aspect of our world is going to be changing in the years ahead."

Right, because we need more hysteria in the form of narrative.  The actual data doesn't support such hysteria, nor the narrative of a "crisis."  Even if one fully accepts that AGW is occurring abnormally, the amount of actual GAT rise is quite small, especially as compared to the Earth's history.  The point is that it requires careful study and then possibly "solutions" that don't involve going back to the stone age.  
    trashman69entropys
  • Reply 14 of 15
    sdw2001 said:
    entropys said:

Fracking does not cause flammable water.  That is a complete farce.  And if you are opposed to nuclear, what are you proposing?  
    Sunbeams and unicorn farts where the business model is about getting paid through any mechanism other than actual volume of energy production.
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 15 of 15
    So Very Public Television.

msybe the aboard thinks they can con the public education system into taking out an Apple TV+ subscription if they produce enough of this stuff. Someone has to pay for it.

What scares me is the Board seems more interested in this kind of virtue signalling crap, while iMacs and Mac minis are ossifying and need a rethink.

Stick to your knitting Apple. This shit looks like becoming a very expensive failure when the free year runs out.
    i fear what Apple will do to the Foundation series.
    edited January 2020