Psyonix giving up on macOS support for 'Rocket League' in March

Posted:
in Mac Software
The developer behind the popular multiplayer game "Rocket League" is ending support for macOS in March, forcing players to either switch to Windows or continue playing the game without any of its online functionality.

Psyonix, the development studio owned by Epic, advised it is "no longer viable" to maintain support for macOS and Linux-based versions of "Rocket League." In a blog post, the studio reasoned it was due to it continuing to upgrade the game with "new technologies," which puts a strain on developing the game for multiple platforms concurrently.

The studio warned will be issuing the last patch for the game on both platforms in March. The update will disable online functionality for the macOS and Linux versions, which will shut down social elements and online multiplayer features, including friends lists, in-game events, the item shop, leaderboards and rankings, and even core functionality like online matchmaking and private matches.

Despite the disabled functions, the game will still be playable on Mac, with features including local multiplayer, split-screen play, career statistics, and replays. Access to the garage and inventory will continue, complete with existing items previously acquired in the game, while Steam Workshop maps and custom training packs will also work, so long as they were downloaded before the final patch.

Psyonix does suggest Mac-based players can play the game on Windows via Boot Camp, though it is "not something Psyonix officially supports." Similar tools are also suggested for Linux, namely the use of Steam's Proton app or Wine, but again neither are officially supported.

Due to the multi-platform nature of Steam, players who do switch operating systems will still be able to play the game on their existing Steam accounts without needing to rebuy the game itself. Progress and game items previously acquired on a Steam account will migrate to wherever the user is playing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    Like I SAID...many dev's leaving the Apple Platform! Sad. :neutral:  
  • Reply 2 of 14
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I don't game as much now as I used to, I have other things to do, but when I do, I find that Geforce Now has worked pretty well for me.

I've been using it for a few years now and it's allowed me to play many windows only games without any hassles at all on my Macs, even on some of my older Macs that don't have a powerful GPU, since we're talking about streaming here. All you need is a good and fast connection, and who doesn't have that these days?

I don't even need to install the games, I just need to own them in the cloud.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    digitol said:
    Like WE said... stop passing your opinion as fact.  It's nothing of the sort. 
    magman1979Solipscooter63cornchipfastasleepdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    digitol said:
    Like WE said, STFU with your trolling BS!
    cornchipfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    digitol said:
    You can be sad if you choose to, but I'm actually very happy.

I've been gaming on Macs for decades and in my experience, there has never been a better time for Mac gaming than right now, due to many more options (bootcamp, streaming etc.) being available for Mac users to access games running on various platforms, giving them easy and quick access to vastly more games than what was possible before.

Sometimes I'll even buy a Windows only game if it's a game that I really want. I do not have Windows installed on any of my drives and never will, and I can play the games just fine on my Macs.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    And let's not even mention mobile gaming!

iOS rules! 

I've actually been gaming more on my iPad Pro these past few years than on my Macs. iOS is the premiere mobile gaming platform, with the best games, the most exclusives and running on the best and most powerful hardware.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    No idea how representative this is, but the claim made in the first post may not be entirely untrue:
    https://www.gridsagegames.com/blog/2019/09/sorry-mac-users-apple-doesnt-care-about-us-devs/
  • Reply 8 of 14
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    While this is not the best news, remember this game is available on all consoles, including the Switch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    apple ][ said:
    digitol said:
    You can be sad if you choose to, but I'm actually very happy.

I've been gaming on Macs for decades and in my experience, there has never been a better time for Mac gaming than right now, due to many more options (bootcamp, streaming etc.) being available for Mac users to access games running on various platforms, giving them easy and quick access to vastly more games than what was possible before.

Sometimes I'll even buy a Windows only game if it's a game that I really want. I do not have Windows installed on any of my drives and never will, and I can play the games just fine on my Macs.

Good for you that you are very happy gaming in a Mac.  But as a whole, Windows is a better option for gaming.  IT as a larger library of games, better ecosystem, online gaming is excellent and you have more options and flexibility when configuring your PC, including Nvidia GPU's and AMD CPU's.  Cloud gaming, (XCloud / Stadia / GeForce Now) maybe will open doors to more games in Macs, and you are one example of it.  But as today, Windows is miles ahead of Mac for gaming.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    apple ][ said:
    And let's not even mention mobile gaming!

iOS rules! 

I've actually been gaming more on my iPad Pro these past few years than on my Macs. iOS is the premiere mobile gaming platform, with the best games, the most exclusives and running on the best and most powerful hardware.
    I'm sure your are not the only one that play more games in iOS than in a Mac, and I think marketshare play a big role in this.  And while I may agree that iOS is the big gaming platform, I think Nintendo is the one with the best games and exclusives in the mobile market.  Plus Nintendo didn't need the best and most powerful hardware to make Zelda or Mario games.  I think Apple could learn a few things from Nintendo and mobile gaming.  
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Read between the lines: the title is in decline, they can’t maintain it forever. It’s ~ 6 years old now and players have long moved onto the next multiplayer fad. 
    dysamoriawatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 12 of 14
    gatorguy said:
    No idea how representative this is, but the claim made in the first post may not be entirely untrue:
    https://www.gridsagegames.com/blog/2019/09/sorry-mac-users-apple-doesnt-care-about-us-devs/
    It’s an interesting time for software development. The time is coming to an end where you *won’t* have to pay a platform vendor for the rights to sign and certify your application isn’t garbage/malware.  As usual, Apple is ahead of the curve but Windows is on the same path, just at a slower rate. The irony the only true “free” platform to develop for will end up being Linux, and most game devs don’t want to develop for them in the first place. A conundrum indeed...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    digitol said:

Lying troll. This is a small team that simply can't manage to support the game on so many platforms. It's also dropping it on Linux. Understandable. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Read between the lines: the title is in decline, they can’t maintain it forever. It’s ~ 6 years old now and players have long moved onto the next multiplayer fad. 
    Mario - around since 1981 - says hi. 

In reality both you and the guy that you presumably are responding to are both wrong. Instead what is actually going on is that Psyonix, the original developer of Rocket League made multi-platform and cross-platform play a priority. A major part of accomplishing this was primarily making the game for Steam, because:

A. Steam runs on Windows, macOS and Linux and
    B. porting Steam games to other platforms like Android, iOS and even XBox - which is at its core Windows 10 anyway - isn't that difficult. 

Which meant that apart from Steam getting/maintaining it on PlayStation - accomplished at launch - and Nintendo were the only "big jobs" and even there PlayStation is based on BSD - like macOS - and the Nintendo Switch is a lot more similar to Android than Nintendo will ever admit.

The current problem: Psyonix was bought by Epic Games. And Epic Games considers Steam their #1 competitor. So rather than saying "Rocket League will no longer be supported on Linux and Mac" it is more accurate to say "Epic Games is beginning the process of migrating Rocket League from Steam to its own Epic store and during the transition they will only support the Steam version of the game on Windows." Epic Games will not/cannot publicly admit this for a host of reasons but it is what is happening.
    When the transition is complete, those who own the game on Steam will need to re-download the game from Epic. This will be true of both Windows and Mac, and at that time the game will be fully supported on Mac. 

As far as "the future" ... TBH it will be true multi-platform cloud gaming that will make hardware irrelevant. This model is very much in the interests of the gaming industry. Developing, patching, updating, patching etc. games for one platform is expensive and difficult to the point where a game on one platform is literally entirely different from allegedly the same game on another because the hardware specs are so different and sometimes they were developed by entirely different teams. Yet if you only release a desirable game for one platform - or merely release it first and/or better - the gamers on the other platforms will hate you forever. This nonsense actually has caused gaming companies to fail. The only people who will not benefit from this are the console makers. And even that is only to a degree. If Microsoft makes money selling 5 million XBox consoles a year, it isn't much. Sony would take a bigger hit from no longer pushing 15-20 million PlayStations a year, but they'd still be Sony. The only big loser is Nintendo, as they're the only one where video games is any more than a side business. However, there are those who think that Nintendo would make more money were the billions of owners of Android, iOS/macOS and Windows devices to be able to play Smash Bros and Super Mario Odyssey instead of merely the < 45 million people who own the Nintendo Switch. Sega was able to have nearly $3 billion in revenue even in a down year last year due to not releasing major games (Shenmue, Sakura Wars ... and Super Monkey Ball) so Nintendo ought to be be able to outdo that easily.
    FileMakerFeller