Apple working on radical iMac redesign using single sheet of glass

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    There is not a single 128GB+ RAM option with an i9 available from Apple, regardless of machine selected.  Great that you can upgrade RAM modules beyond what Apple offers, still no excuse for it not being offered directly.  On top of that, the i9-10900K replacement should be available very soon.  No sign of an imminent update to iMac or MacMini to support this next generation.  Many believe a full redesign is necessary to support.
  • Reply 22 of 79
    ciacia Posts: 252member
    Soli said:
    tipoo said:
    Seems a bit convoluted. Ever since I saw this, I was hoping this would be the next shape of the iMac, just without the mini LED and pricier features from the stand (like magnetism and rotation maybe, doesn't need to be toolessly attachable for an iMacs price) 

Looking at this I'd like to see one of two things. Either the the stand hold all the components (which should all them to be easier to access) with the glass display not having much else, save for a Face ID camera and mic -or- for Apple to offer the iMac all behind the display and let users have the option of getting the XDR stand, no stand, or some basic iMac stand as an option.
    So you want something similar to this?

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/work/shop/dell-desktops-workstations/new-optiplex-7070-ultra-desktop/spd/optiplex-7070-ultra
    That Dell display thing.... It's actually pretty cool.  Just lacking the Apple design style we all know.  Regardless, if I needed some office PC's, that's a great idea.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 79
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    bsbeamer said:
    There is not a single 128GB+ RAM option with an i9 available from Apple, regardless of machine selected.  Great that you can upgrade RAM modules beyond what Apple offers, still no excuse for it not being offered directly.  On top of that, the i9-10900K replacement should be available very soon.  No sign of an imminent update to iMac or MacMini to support this next generation.  Many believe a full redesign is necessary to support.
    You really need to be more specific in regard to what you want.

There isn’t an i9-10900K CPU in Intel’s ARK database. I would like to know details if you can find it. There are rumors of a 10900K that is probably going to be released this year, but you are saying “replacement”, implying the 10900K is already on the market.

There is an i9-10900X model however. If you want an i9-10900X like system, the iMac Pro with the Xeon W-2155, 10-core 3.3/4.5 GHz base/turbo, is basically 98% the same system, and that’s been on the market for 2 years now. At the start, you could order it with 128 GB. Last year, you could order it with 256 GB.

As for the next gen iMac, it will probably ship with the LGA1151 socket or its successor. Whatever the mainstream i5/i7/i9 socket is going to be. If the i9-10900K is going to use that socket, great, it will probably be Apple’s high end CPU option. If it is using LGA2099 or something different, doubtful they will use the i9-10900K.

I can empathize with the complaints. It’s the same one over and over. Apple doesn’t ship a midrange headless box for like $2000, that they don’t upgrade on a yearly, or faster, cadence. Mac mini machines use 65W desktop chips. There are any next gen 65 W desktop chips shipping yet, and Apple would rather wait then designing for 95W chips, or switching over to AMD. Same thing with the iMacs. Those 65W and 95W next gen chips aren’t out yet. They’d rather wait then redesign.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 79
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Well the only thing that got my interest was a solar powered laptop!    It is too bad Apple can’t innovate anymore 😜😜😜.   Seriously though a machine that can even trickle charge would be inviting.  
  • Reply 25 of 79
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Soli said:
    tipoo said:
    Seems a bit convoluted. Ever since I saw this, I was hoping this would be the next shape of the iMac, just without the mini LED and pricier features from the stand (like magnetism and rotation maybe, doesn't need to be toolessly attachable for an iMacs price) 

Looking at this I'd like to see one of two things. Either the the stand hold all the components (which should all them to be easier to access) with the glass display not having much else, save for a Face ID camera and mic -or- for Apple to offer the iMac all behind the display and let users have the option of getting the XDR stand, no stand, or some basic iMac stand as an option.

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/work/shop/dell-desktops-workstations/new-optiplex-7070-ultra-desktop/spd/optiplex-7070-ultra
    That is actually a very cool design. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 79
    I hope that this will never go to production. I would never buy an iMac that has the keyboard connected to the screen. It would be way to close to my face.
    I would also like to see Apple bring new Processors from AMD and PCIe 4.0 technology into their products.

SpamSandwich
  • Reply 27 of 79
    This design ain't gonna happen. What a step backwards in usability!

Who remembers the ultimate in display flexibility... the iMac G4?

baconstangwatto_cobradav
  • Reply 28 of 79
    bsbeamer said:
    Is it that hard to just release a Core i9 desktop with 128GB+ RAM options?  Update the Mini, offer a new MiniPro model, or something.  Could care less about these designs right now.  It's almost pathetic the MBP16,1 can outperform many of the current "desktop" options.  
    Sounds like you're talking about the list of desirements for a low-end, next-gen iMac Pro. Or, indeed, maybe the high-end 2020 iMac, if they copy the iMac Pro's airflow design, If Apples does, I hope they don't make the memory slots inaccessible to all but certified Apple techs.
    edited January 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 79
    At the risk of sounding old an unimaginative, where are the internal comments going go, and how are they going to cool them?
    dysamoriabaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 79
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,336member
    LOL.

A design the looks cool but can't cool the components or even house them.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 79
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    DAalseth said:
    Soli said:
    tipoo said:

That is actually a very cool design. 
    Not seeing what so good about this design. I’m close to saying it sucks. It’s a 25W Intel CPU system in a SFF that can be mounted in the stand or on the back of a Dell monitor with a VESA mount. 

What is the advantage over any other SFF PC or a Mac mini?

There are AIO designs with a PCIe slot for GPU upgrades. So, I can see the win there. The iMac stuffs 65 W to 95 W CPUs and discrete GPUs in a form factor that is more sleek than this Dell system, resulting in 2x or a lot more performance, so you would be getting a high performance system. 

Apple can go a lot of ways with a new AIO. The can go modular like they did with the Mac Pro. Thin modules on a rail of custom PCIe slots would be pretty interesting. If they go ARM, thin is in. It could be mostly 5 mm thin with a tiny 10 mm bulge somewhere for the logic board. 

In any case, they will hopefully have USB and SD card ports in the front of the case, or at least have a keyboard with lots of ports in it. Like a USBC keyboard with USBA, USBC, and SD card slot in it. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 79
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    Terrible!
    dysamoriawilliamlondoncaladanianbaconstang
  • Reply 33 of 79
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Current design is sexier. My guess is that Apple designers did this on a bet that they could get Samsung to ship it. 
    edited January 2020 dysamoriawilliamlondoncaladanianwatto_cobramwhitebaconstangTRAG
  • Reply 34 of 79
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I would be perfectly happy with a few tweaks to the current design, and an easy way to rotate the screen.

That feature is all that's needed for Apple to win.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 79
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Another nonsense patent just for the potential to sue if someone else makes something similar. This looks awful. Functionally and aesthetically.
    williamlondoncaladanian
  • Reply 36 of 79
    Soli said:
    Not that I expect I'll ever be an iMac user again, but, just the same, this is getting me excited for what may come.
    @Soli mind if I ask what you are currently using ?
  • Reply 37 of 79
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    patent just stake a claim, hardly come out with design similar to it... the claim will cover the design (included)... that is why you can predict the technology used in next gen by reading patent, but hardly predict design shape, form and function using patent... IMHO. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 79
    I bought an iMac at the start of this year. At the time I thought one of three things would happen:
    1. There'd be a new iMac soon and it'll be great and I'll wish I'd waited.
    2. There'd be a new iMac soon and it'll be worse (eg: no accessible RAM / more expensive / more appliancy and less useful) and I'll be glad I didn't wait.
    3. There won't be a new iMac soon enough for me to worry about, besides minor spec bumps. Complete lack of rumours supported this.
    Looks like it's 2, but even worse than imagined. That is a dreadful design and I can't believe they'll actually do it.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    With an A12 as powerful as an I5, why bother with an all in one anymore?
    Why not just plop your iPad into a nice dock with keyboard, mouse and display (maybe with an eGPU) all connected?   What is the advantage of buying & maintaining separate processors, memory and storage and then trying to interface the two?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 79
    sflocal said:
    I'm ready for a new iMac and have been waiting for an re-designed one.  My preference would be an iMac that mimics the XDR display on some level, XDR screen size & resolution, etc... I'm really hoping it is released in 2020.

This patent design if fugly.  I hope it stays in the design phase.
    This. An iMac with the appearance (but not the price) of the XDR display would be just what I would like, thanks.
    caladanianwatto_cobra