Rumor suggests iOS 14 will run on all iOS 13 capable devices

Posted:
in iOS edited February 2020
The next major version of iOS will be supported on all devices capable of running iOS 13. In contrast, two models of iPad will not support the shift to iPadOS 14, according to a source with a dubious track record.

Apple periodically updates the list of devices that are compatible with iOS, removing older models, and reducing the number of devices the company has to support the software. Last year, Apple phased out the iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus, as well as the sixth-generation iPod Touch.

With WWDC on the horizon, we're expecting to get news of the new iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 during the event, and with that, the possibility of device compatibility changes. France-based iPhonesoft has proposed that iOS 14 and will support all the same devices as iOS 13 does. They also include the iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, and the rumored iPhone SE 2. Much like iOS 13, the iPhone SE is included in this list, but the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are not. iPhonesoft does hedge their bets, stating their source suggests the A9 chip should be supported, but Apple may choose to drop support for the iPhone 6 line and the iPhone SE later in development.

As far as iPadOS goes, they suggest the supported devices list will not include all the same iPadOS 13 compatible devices, with Apple dropping support for the iPad mini 4 and the iPad Air 2. They suggest the A8 and A8X chips will not be compatible with the new iPadOS. These lists should be taken with a grain of salt, as iPhonesoft hasn't been known for accurately predicting device compatibility. In 2019, they had suggested that the iPhone SE would not support the switch to iOS 13.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Woohoo!!

The iPhone 6s survives another round of updates.
    MplsPguscat
  • Reply 2 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    There was a rumour that this was going to be mostly a refinement update so keeping every device running iOS 13 getting this update would follow.
    watto_cobracornchipguscat
  • Reply 3 of 32
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    If this rumor were to be true, with the emphasis on if, then I will be keeping my SE for even longer than I expected, because it's actually still running great and it's still plenty speedy and it still fits in my front pocket without me even noticing that it's there.

I remember all of the bogus false rumors about it not supporting iOS 13 and I was very happy when it was finally confirmed that it would indeed support 13.

If it were to support 14 also, that would be nothing short of amazing and a very nice surprise.
    edited January 2020 PickUrPoisonwatto_cobrapulseimagesbaconstangcornchipguscat
  • Reply 4 of 32
    apple ][ said:
    If this rumor were to be true, with the emphasis on if, then I will be keeping my SE for even longer than I expected, because it's actually still running great and it's still plenty speedy and it still fits in my front pocket without me even noticing that it's there.

I remember all of the bogus false rumors about it not supporting iOS 13 and I was very happy when it was finally confirmed that it would indeed support 13.

If it were to support 14 also, that would be nothing short of amazing and a very nice surprise.
    I think the odds are very good, since it shares the same processor as the 6s.
    watto_cobrapulseimages
  • Reply 5 of 32
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I think the odds are very good, since it shares the same processor as the 6s.
    Yes, either both the 6s and SE will support 14 or neither of them will.
    watto_cobrapulseimages
  • Reply 6 of 32
    iPhone 6S = iPhone SE. If the 6S remains supported, Apple has no reason not to also support the SE. They are literally the same phone in a different shell.
    watto_cobrapulseimageschiaMisterKit
  • Reply 7 of 32
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    SE and 6s still supported is amazing of how Apple IOS(vs Android) cares about customers.
    edited January 2020 Soliwatto_cobrapulseimagesPickUrPoisonguscat
  • Reply 8 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cecil4444 said:
    iPhone 6S = iPhone SE. If the 6S remains supported, Apple has no reason not to also support the SE. They are literally the same phone in a different shell.
    Are you sure? The displays look different to me, which would make it more than a cosmetic "shell" difference. Even when iDevices are using the same SoC in name (e.g.: A9) they can still have different features and performance.

Even then, even if all the internal components were exactly the same—which they aren't, but I'd argue that most aren't a very big deal in terms of how the device operates between updates (e.g.: lack of barometer in the SE or the larger battery and bighter display in the 6S)— there is still other aspects of these complex devices. For example, Apple may have been able to increase performance with a larger iOS update or made it more efficient which the larger battery of the 6S could better utilize; and while I doubt that's the case, especially when looking at Primate Lab results for single and multi-core reports, that's not the only measure of these devices or way Apple can adjust how the device performs as they evolve their OS.

But none of that really matters as much as what Apple is willing to invest in testing for an old device to make sure it's reasonably safe and functional for users to upgrade. If there are 100x more 6S users than SE users out there then it would probably make financial sense to stop supporting the SE as a device. Personally, I wish Apple would support their devices even less than they do as people simply bitch every year that they aren't supporting them enough despite leading the industry by a large margin and then complain when a more complex and robust update may have the effect of making certain aspects feel slower than the previous version. They can't seem to win, and yet they continue to updates long after I think they should, which means they've done the math and figured out that this is the best strategy.
    edited January 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 32
    cecil4444 said:
    There are many differences, but they are both A9/2GB and that’s what matters for OS support. Both will be supported by iOS 14, or neither will, as others have mentioned. 
    watto_cobrachia
  • Reply 10 of 32
    Soli said:
    There was a rumour that this was going to be mostly a refinement update so keeping every device running iOS 13 getting this update would follow.
    Yes, for the most part. iPad Air 2 (A8X/2GB) and iPad mini 4 (A8/2GB) are rumored to be dropped. 

I have a mini 4, and was surprised it made the iOS 13 cut. It runs significantly slower on both iOS 12 and 13 than does my 6s (A9/2GB) so iOS 13 may be the end of the line for it. Not sure how the performance of the Air 2’s A8X compares with A9. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 32
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    iPhone 8?
    pulseimages
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Hopefully this upgrade works better than the last one.  My iPhone 7 started having several problems such as faster battery drain, issues with bluetooth, painfully slow web browsing, and the worst is freezing up and not being able to do a force quit so I have had to wait for the battery to drain down to get the phone to restart.  That last one has happened twice which never happened until the latest update.  iOS 13 was a major fail in my book.
    baconstang
  • Reply 13 of 32
    I’ll keep my SE for another iOS upgrade cycle and just have the battery replaced for the second time. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 14 of 32
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    Woohoo!!

The iPhone 6s survives another round of updates.
    My wife's 6s was still going strong - the only reason she upgraded was because we wanted our daughter to have a phone so she got the old 6s. how many Androids are still going strong after 5 years and running the latest OS?
    MisterKit
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Here’s to hoping they squash a lot of the annoyances that came with iOS 13. It’s been pretty goddamn horrible so far, especially with the Mail app.
    baconstang
  • Reply 16 of 32
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    sjworld said:
    Here’s to hoping they squash a lot of the annoyances that came with iOS 13. It’s been pretty goddamn horrible so far, especially with the Mail app.

Details? I use Mail across several providers and there's zero issues.

guscat
  • Reply 17 of 32
    I hope they’ll finally realize iPadOS’ promise as a productivity replacement.

1. Full adaptivity for touchpad/mouse and keyboard controls, aka when mouse is connected a macOS interaction model versus a ‘finger simulation mode’. This means right-click for contextual menus and a recent text selection mode, amongst other tweaks. When not using a mouse it shouldn’t dilute/deteriorate iPadOS concept as a touch-first OS. 

2. Better iPad concept/keyboard hardware with back lighting.

3. A solution for multiple split windows that isn’t as horrible as the current one. I still find it very confusing and slow to manage multiple windows.

4. The ability to connect the iPad to an external monitor and get the native resolution of the monitor supported for multiple windows. 

5. Better / faster Files management power options for when used with a mouse.

• Reply 18 of 32

sjworld said:

Details? I use Mail across several providers and there's zero issues.

I don’t have problems with Mail at all when it comes to bugs and annoyances, other than that I feel they should rewrite the app entirely tech-wise and look at fresh ideas. It feels like one of these legacy apps they kept adding on to and patching throughout the years, versus ‘resetting‘ it altogether. It’s quite slow too (even more so it’s macOS counterpart).
    It’s time for Apple to look at other Mail app developers and learn from their features and interactions. There are excellent little ideas in several apps they could take design cues from.

The only reason I use Apple Mail is that I love their ‘card approach’ for emails that are drafted. You can easily reply to a mail and instead of sending, slide a card to the bottom and in a way keep a list of to-do’s. That is genius and no third party mail dev seems to have copied that.
    guscat
  • Reply 19 of 32
    ivanh said:
    iPhone 8?
    Though inadvertently left off the list, iPhone 8 will still be supported through iOS 16 or 17, maybe longer. Hard to say this far out. 
    edited January 2020 guscat
  • Reply 20 of 32
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    This is very interesting, but without knowing what changes iOS 14 will have, is there really any reason to care?  Just sayin’ . . .