Apple buys rights to Sundance documentary 'Boys State' for $10M

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has snagged another story aimed at taking a look at the cultural and political climate of America, with the purchase of "Boys State" for $10 million

Image Credit: Thorsten Thielow | Sundance Institute
Image Credit: Thorsten Thielow | Sundance Institute

There will be no shortage of political and social programming on Apple TV+, it seems. Titles like "Little America" and "Hala" take a close look at life in America for immigrant families.

"The Morning Show" dives into the cutthroat world of morning news, as told from the perspective of two women working their way through a sometimes volatile work environment.

"Boys State" is offering a look into American politics as viewed by the young men who are about to reach voting age. The highly praised Sundance film is a documentary that follows 1,000 17-year-old boys as they attend the titular program hosted by the American Legion.

The Boys State program is a week-long political summer camp of sorts. During the week, high school juniors are divided up into groups, elect municipal officials and representatives, and run mock political functions.

The documentary was directed by Jesse Moss and Amanda McBane, and follows the Texas Boys State program. The focus is on four individual boys of diverse backgrounds and and political views. The documentary shows them organizing political events as they campaign for the highest office at the Texas Boys State: governor.

Laurene Powell Jobs, Davis Guggenheim, Jonathan Silberberg and Nicole Stott are listed as the film's executive producers.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Apple TV+ and A24 have acquired the rights to the documentary, paying $10. The deal was negotiated on behalf of the filmmakers by Submarine. Submarine was also responsible for "American Factory"'s deal, the first film from the Obama's production company Higher Ground Productions.

There is no word as to when the film will be available on Apple TV+

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Not expecting much from this show in terms of fairness from a collection of Left-leaning financiers and cheerleaders. Frankly, it would be a miracle if Apple sponsored any content that was boldly aimed at the other half of the country.
    edited January 2020 toysandmeallmypeoplecornchipmobird80s_Apple_GuyrazorpitArianneFeldry
  • Reply 2 of 16
    I’m glad AAPL didn’t pay more than $10 for this. 
    cornchipjd_in_sbrazorpit
  • Reply 3 of 16
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    Not expecting much from this show in terms of fairness from a collection of Left-leaning financiers and cheerleaders. Frankly, it would be a miracle if Apple sponsored any content that was boldly aimed at the other half of the country.
    It looks like it's about the political process rather than political opinions per se.

Boys State Texas and program hosted by the American Legion.

Yes, very leftist organizations.  :D
    tmayronnminicoffeebeowulfschmidtfastasleep
  • Reply 4 of 16
    After snoozing on my investments for a few years, I'm diving back into research. Wondering if I should cash out some APPL. I'm a long but really not sold on them going into content. I need to learn more about the business case for it. Personally, I'm "streaming overloaded" and starting to torrent again because it's simpler. 

I really hope Apple keeps pushing into the home and expands its speaker options. I do appreciate the margins of services but hope there's more innovation coming outside of that. I can't be the only one with zero interest in Apple's streaming options. 
    Hang in there.. All good things take time. I’am also long Apple. Te glass is half full and the next 18 months are going to be terrific. The ecosystem is starting to develop into something that will generate revenue no analyst could have foreseen.
    allmypeople
  • Reply 5 of 16
    The irony of showing zero objectivity while bemoaning fairness is pretty rich.
  • Reply 6 of 16

After snoozing on my investments for a few years, I'm diving back into research. Wondering if I should cash out some APPL. I'm a long but really not sold on them going into content. I need to learn more about the business case for it. Personally, I'm "streaming overloaded" and starting to torrent again because it's simpler. 

I really hope Apple keeps pushing into the home and expands its speaker options. I do appreciate the margins of services but hope there's more innovation coming outside of that. I can't be the only one with zero interest in Apple's streaming options. 
    Last week there was a story in the Wall Street Journal the broke down streaming services by user base. Apple TV+ was estimated to be 33.6 million. For context Netflix was 61.3 million and Amazon Prime was 42.2 million. I think it is safe to assume that most of Apple's user base is due to people signing up for a free year with the purchase of a new product and are not currently paying customers. That said, if the number is anywhere close to correct then I think it is off to a great start and I don't think getting people to stay on for 5 bucks a month will be that hard. I am one of the free folks currently and have been surprised by the quality of the content. So, I think the service has a lot of longterm potential. 
  • Reply 7 of 16

Last week there was a story in the Wall Street Journal the broke down streaming services by user base. Apple TV+ was estimated to be 33.6 million. For context Netflix was 61.3 million and Amazon Prime was 42.2 million. I think it is safe to assume that most of Apple's user base is due to people signing up for a free year with the purchase of a new product and are not currently paying customers. That said, if the number is anywhere close to correct then I think it is off to a great start and I don't think getting people to stay on for 5 bucks a month will be that hard. I am one of the free folks currently and have been surprised by the quality of the content. So, I think the service has a lot of longterm potential. 
    👍
  • Reply 8 of 16
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    The irony of showing zero objectivity while bemoaning fairness is pretty rich.
    Well said. 
    ronnRayz2016Carnage
  • Reply 9 of 16
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    toysandme said:
    I’m glad AAPL didn’t pay more than $10 for this. 
    It was actually $9.99 for the movie rights but the author rounded up. :)
  • Reply 10 of 16
    This instance you are mostly incorrect. The documentary makers did their best to tilt things their way by having only 1 of the 4 guys be (moderate) conservative and 2 very liberal, which DOES NOT fit the demographics of Texas, the reddest big state in the country. But the format of Boys State keeps it from being a DNC youth event. The kids have to create their own political parties with their own platforms that cannot resemble those of existing major parties but yet has to be ideologically coherent. https://nypost.com/2020/01/27/boys-state-is-a-sundance-documentary-youll-never-forget/ This is the key line: "The doc also wisely challenges perceptions and stereotypes of what it means to be liberal or conservative. At times, the Sundance crowd, which is — ahem — not so politically diverse, seemed to not want to be challenged."
    fastasleep
  • Reply 11 of 16
    This instance you are mostly incorrect. The documentary makers did their best to tilt things their way by having only 1 of the 4 guys be (moderate) conservative and 2 very liberal, which DOES NOT fit the demographics of Texas, the reddest big state in the country. But the format of Boys State keeps it from being a DNC youth event. The kids have to create their own political parties with their own platforms that cannot resemble those of existing major parties but yet has to be ideologically coherent. https://nypost.com/2020/01/27/boys-state-is-a-sundance-documentary-youll-never-forget/ This is the key line: "The doc also wisely challenges perceptions and stereotypes of what it means to be liberal or conservative. At times, the Sundance crowd, which is — ahem — not so politically diverse, seemed to not want to be challenged."
    I live in Texas and Texas is a reliably red state but reddest? Nope. Utah, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Montana, Idaho, North Dakota, South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Alaska, Kansas, Nebraska are far more “red” just to name few. Maybe you mean the largest red state by population? 
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 12 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Ah, you mean the mean-spirited group that prefers rural life, shuns immigrants, and wanted to deny first minorities and then gays equal civil rights? You already have that — it’s called “talk radio”. 

Frankly I don’t think a streaming service catering to that demographic will do well or is on brand. You realize Apple is and always been a liberal and progressive company, right? Because it’s founders and leaders are, thus it’s culture is. Thankfully they won’t change that for you. 
    edited January 2020 Oferfastasleep
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Not sure KlanTV is up for sale.
    beowulfschmidtfastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 16
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    Both parties are owned by the same wall street donors and in the end go to the money.  What we need to do is get the money out of politics or nothing will change regardless of what any of us wants on either side.  At least the Dems have tried to bring awareness to this with bringing attention to Citizens United (of course struck down by the GOP) and from what I can see only one person running (who is independent) has vocalized actually taking on the topic.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Good. I don't want to see Apple dumb down.