Neil Young rails against 'Fisher-Price' MacBook Pro audio for music production

Comments

• Reply 21 of 107
    OK, boomer. What kind of sound does he spect from a 1.62cm slab of aluminum. I listened to the Podcast and he just sounds like a grumpy grandpa that only compare how good everything was when he was young. Just expending his last days being miserable, good for him.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 107
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    spice-boy said:

"Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
    An Apple man don't need him around anyhow..."
    So sensitive to any criticism especially when it might be true of your beloved Apple. Critique makes things better, if you ever created anything in your life you would understand this. When you stop listening to criticism (of your work not your person) what you create will be subpar. 
    This was a wry callback to a line from Lynard Skynard's "Sweet Home Alabama", nothing more.  It wasn't meant to be serious.

Also, you have no idea what anyone in this forum's creative capabilities or capacities are.  You might want to lighten up on that broad judgmental brush of yours.
    edited January 2020 raybochiarazorpitrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 107
    Old man yells at cloud.  News at 11.
    kuduwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 107
    The man is 74 years old, has probably given hundreds if not thousands of concerts. I doubt very much that he still has a hearing that is able to judge audio quality. Anything else would be a medical or biological miracle.
    bonobobrazorpitrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 107
    Sorry, Neil, no technology in the world will make your whiny-a** singing sound good.
    neilmsphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 107
    Well I'll enjoy my sub par music from my iPhone with my airpods pro bask in the joy that I can turn away from this article with his negativity and turn on ANC so I don't have hear old grumpy people like him when I'm walking through this world. While also being safe my people don't be silly. 

#conveniencecantrumpperfection
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 107
    Love Neil, but I don't think he's fully clued up about how music production occurs on a laptop.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 107
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I would love to see the results of a hearing test on Neil Young and other venerable rockers who insist they can hear the difference between high-quality digital music formats.  Age and exposure to loud music takes their toll on most mortals.  Perhaps famous musicians have a secret cure for this. /s
    That's exactly what I was thinking! I have no issue with Neil Young, I have no reason to doubt that his ill-fated Pono Player had a technically better DAC and other components for recreating specific sounds (not that it really matters if you have no viable market for your device), but I 1) highly question whether it was actually "better" in any feasible sense of the word to warrant an audience that would buy a singe-use audio device for an inflated price, 2) wonder what his a) age and b) his lifetime of playing live music has done to his own hearing. I sincerely would love to see an objective test done on his hearing.
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 107
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cornchip said:
    well, off to buy a PC which reportedly is far superior for music production…
    Don't forget to install that cool looking WinAMP app.

tmayshaminowatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 107
    Lmao, imagine using Grammy awards as any defence for Apples garbage hardware. Do you realise how stupid this article sounds?
  • Reply 31 of 107
    "That's Fisher-Price quality." - Neil Young expresses satisfaction upon seeing a mockup of PonoPlayer's three giant buttons, perfectly sized for tiny hands and easily visible against a bright yellow that is sure to capture your toddler's attention and spark their imagination
    Soliretrogustopscooter63sphericshaminowatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 107
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    mjtomlin said:
    spice-boy said:
    Neil Young is a serial complainer.
    Then a perfect AI reader. 

I wouldn't go that far... Not "reader", but "commenter". It seems like most of the posters here who complain don't actually read anything except the headline.
    touché
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 33 of 107
    Why he go insulting Fisher-Price like that?
  • Reply 34 of 107
    The man is 74 years old, has probably given hundreds if not thousands of concerts. I doubt very much that he still has a hearing that is able to judge audio quality. Anything else would be a medical or biological miracle.
    Okay pizza with mushrooms is my favorite kind however agism is not an appropriate response to a gifted composer just because he has criticized you tech gods.
  • Reply 35 of 107

eddnav said:
    Lmao, imagine using Grammy awards as any defence for Apples garbage hardware. Do you realise how stupid this article sounds?
    I can't because I am using inferior Apple equipment, (that was sarcasm). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 107
    The amusing thing is when Apple released the HomePod it was the music quality that they hyped. They said it wasn’t trying to be an Alexa competitor but a serious listening device. So I’m kind of wondering if Apple has learned the lesson that many older musicians like Neil haven’t:

Most people don’t care about sound quality, they care about cost then convenience. The sound has to be pretty bad to cancel the advantage of a cheap price. 

I don’t care for Neil Young’s love ballads but his pissed off songs are all classics. 
  • Reply 37 of 107
    Old man yells at cloud.  News at 11.
    No, Old man, looks at your life, you’re a lot like he was. 
    pscooter63GG1sphericrandominternetperson
  • Reply 38 of 107
    eddnav said:
    Spelling errors aside (lmao)... Yes, Grammy awards do represent a minimum quality of music recording and production. They are voted on by professionals in the industry (myself included) who actually do care about how things sound.

Neil, and you I suppose, don't have a clue about how any computer, let alone a Mac, is actually used in audio production.
    Oferrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 107
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,110member
    I don’t see how he is connecting high quality microphones to a MacBook Pro to make that determination. Am I the only one whose MBP didn’t come with XLR inputs providing 48v phantom power? I’ve been using a UA Apollo, and it sounds pretty darn great to me. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 107

Neil makes the papers.
    tmaytheirongiantshaminokuduwatto_cobra