HomePod lands in India 23 months after launch

Posted:
in General Discussion
The HomePod is now available to purchase in India for the first time, with the regional launch of Apple's smart speaker also offering the audio device at the equivalent of $280 after sales tax, and potentially even lower at some retailers.

Appearing on Apple's website in India, the product listing for the HomePod indicates it is priced at 19,900 rupees ($278.67). The price in India is considerably far below that of other regions HomePod is currently sold within, including the current $299 price in the United States.

As spotted by 91mobiles, the product page also identifies the price as an MRP, the "Maximum Retail Price" that can be charged for the device in India, which means retailers may be able to pay even less for the HomePod. Furthermore, that MRP is also inclusive of sales tax.

The lower cost of goods in India is something Apple has performed with other products, in order to make headway in the emerging market. For example, its reduction of Apple Music subscriptions in April 2019 brought the individual plan down to 99 rupees ($1.39) a month.

While Apple is reportedly looking into performing online sales in India later in 2020, as well as continuing to harbor ambitions to open its own stores in the country instead of using resellers, the HomePod is not being sold by Apple directly. Customers in the region have to continue buying it through existing retailers who sell Apple products.

The launch brings HomePod to only its thirteenth country in the 23 months since its release. The most recent launch was in August, which brought the speaker to Japan and Taiwan.

The market continues to be of interest to Apple, due to the large and untapped customer base in the emerging market. The territory is significant enough to have prompted Apple to set up iPhone production in the country for local sale, as well as for export.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Still remains a poor buy.

If I were at Apple I would be thinking sonos needs acquiring
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 2 of 13
    So, it’s now available in 12 countries, right? US, Canada, Australia, UK, France, Germany, Medico, Spain, China (including Hong Kong), Japan, Taiwan and India. This was released almost 2 years ago, in February 2018. I’d love to understand the reason for this. Has any other piece of Apple hardware had such an extremely slow rollout? Even the original iPhone was faster than this and it was quite slow, too!
    Don’t mind me. I just wish this, and all Apple products, launched early in Ireland...or launched here at all! (Still waiting for Visual Voicemail - announced in January 2007)

😎🇮🇪☘️ 
    anantksundaramcroprwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    kkqd1337 said:

How is it a poor buy exactly?  Hahaha  Pretentious posts like these seem to never stop. What EXACTLY is so fucking lacking with the HP that Apple would need to consider buying Sonos.  That is just about the silliest thing I have read here.
    edited January 2020 mike1chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    So, it’s now available in 12 countries, right? US, Canada, Australia, UK, France, Germany, Medico, Spain, China (including Hong Kong), Japan, Taiwan and India. This was released almost 2 years ago, in February 2018. I’d love to understand the reason for this. Has any other piece of Apple hardware had such an extremely slow rollout? Even the original iPhone was faster than this and it was quite slow, too!
    Don’t mind me. I just wish this, and all Apple products, launched early in Ireland...or launched here at all! (Still waiting for Visual Voicemail - announced in January 2007)

😎🇮🇪☘️ 
    You don't have visual voicemail? What's up with your carriers over there?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    razorpit said:

😎🇮🇪☘️ 
    You don't have visual voicemail? What's up with your carriers over there?

It’s beyond embarrassing! But we don’t have an Apple Store either...or Apple Watch with cellular...or Apple Cash...or Apple Card...or iPhone trade-in...or...Siri with Apple TV...or Siri Restaurants...or Maps speed limits or Nearby...or Apple News, TV Programmes or Sports...or..need I go on?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Someone mentioned in another thread about using Siri shortcuts to 'wake' their HomePods to play AppleTV content. Anyone know how to do that? Every time I wake my AppleTV I have to go to settings to have the sound play through my HomePods instead of my tv's speakers.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    daven said:
    Someone mentioned in another thread about using Siri shortcuts to 'wake' their HomePods to play AppleTV content. Anyone know how to do that? Every time I wake my AppleTV I have to go to settings to have the sound play through my HomePods instead of my tv's speakers.
    I have to do this everyday I wake the appleTV and it is so annoying. Siri also needs a huge overhaul. Siri on HomePod can’t even turn on all the lights in my house but I have no problem talking to my phone, Apple TV remote or using the control center to manually turn them on. HomePod always tells me my living room light isn’t connected or isn’t part of the “home” 
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 8 of 13
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    fluffhead said:
    daven said:
    I have to do this everyday I wake the appleTV and it is so annoying. Siri also needs a huge overhaul. Siri on HomePod can’t even turn on all the lights in my house but I have no problem talking to my phone, Apple TV remote or using the control center to manually turn them on. HomePod always tells me my living room light isn’t connected or isn’t part of the “home” 
    I had a problem with Siri 'forgetting' that some devices were part of my home network but then I noticed they were also 'wonky' on my phone so I removed them and then re-found them and it has all worked pretty reliably since. It was a pain to disconnect and reconnect the items but it worked out for the better overall and I haven't had problems in months now. I do agree with you that Siri needs work. Maybe it is there with Shortcuts but I'm a bit dense on that it seems. 
    edited January 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    jcs2305 said:
    kkqd1337 said:

How is it a poor buy exactly?  Hahaha  Pretentious posts like these seem to never stop. What EXACTLY is so fucking lacking with the HP that Apple would need to consider buying Sonos.  That is just about the silliest thing I have read here.
    I picked up an HP for $199 over the Thanksgiving rush.  It isn't a poor buy at all.

My only compliant would be the HP has to be able to work more independently.  The HP should be able to play Sirius XM or audio that Apple may not approve of.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    jcs2305 said:
    kkqd1337 said:

How is it a poor buy exactly? 
    For starters, you can't connect it to a TV.

Next.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    jcs2305 said:
    kkqd1337 said:

How is it a poor buy exactly? 
    For starters, you can't connect it to a TV.

Next.
    This will come as a huge shock to my TV. I connected it to my previous TV via an Apple TV, but most recent TV models (even an increasing number of Sony ones) have AirPlay 2 built in.

But I guess most poor people don't know that ...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I've been waiting 23 months for this!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member

😎🇮🇪☘️ 

Exactly my thoughts as well.   There is a lot of room for improvement, before Apple can be called a global company. Half of Europe is missing here