Check out the 117 new emoji coming to Apple platforms later this year

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2020
The Unicode Consortium on Wednesday announced 117 new emoji that will be added to platforms like Apple's iOS and macOS later this year.

The 117 new emoji approved for release in 2020. Image from emojipedia.
The 117 new emoji approved for release in 2020. Image from Emojipedia.

Additions this year include many new gender-inclusive characters such as an alternative to Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus called "Mx Claus," a man with veil and woman in tuxedo. New animal options like black cat, mammoth and bison will also make an appearance. New food emoji include a bell pepper, flatbread and a tamale.

A full list of Unicode's emoji additions, including previews, was published by Emojipedia. As usual, the images are glossy versions done in Apple's style, but the tech giant's final iterations will likely be reproduced in a different style.

Apple typically updates its available emoji set in point releases of iOS, macOS, watchOS and iPadOS.

Emoji have become an important facet of communicating across iOS and other platforms. As such, Apple sometimes turns the characters into Animoji for use in the promotion of new products like Clips. Earlier this year Apple added the ability to engrave AirPods using a special emoji font.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    Moof!

Did anyone else notice the "Piñata" emoji appears to be no less than Clarus the Dogcow?
    napoleon_phoneapartbennetts2gordyrandominternetpersondoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 37
    I'm sort of interested to know more about the male veil. I thought the male veil was more like what's worn in Africa and India for certain ceremonial events (i.e. Either looking more like a full head wrap or a highly decorated headdress.) Can anyone with more insight chime in?
  • Reply 3 of 37
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 112member
    I know. Let's not fix os problems, let's add more emoji and maybe they will forget the problems we can't fix. 

darkvaderfrantisekbeowulfschmidtwilliamlondon
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Why is there a gap in the middle of the picture? It looks like there was an extra emoji?

The piñata is definitely Clarus the dogcow! Moof!!
    edited January 2020 darkvader
  • Reply 5 of 37
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    Isn't the hand gesture shown by the third emoji from the left on the top row considered offensive in some cultures and countries?
    dysamoriabeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 6 of 37

Reminiscent of the old MSN messenger - lol  Just an updated modern view from 98 

Image result for MSN icon 1998
  • Reply 7 of 37
    I just don't get the point of things like a screwdriver or other objects.  Can't people just type "screwdriver" faster than searching through 12000 emoji's for the screwdriver emoji?

As it is now, I have a hard enough time finding the facial or hand expression I want, let along having to sift through emojis for every word in the dictionary.
    dysamoriadarkvaderelijahgdoozydozenJaphey
  • Reply 8 of 37
    yuck9 said:
    I know. Let's not fix os problems, let's add more emoji and maybe they will forget the problems we can't fix. 

Apple doesn’t invent these, Emoji are created and managed by the Unicode Consortium. It’s a standard that Apple implements so all devices can communicate with each other, like any other character set. These are coming to all devices. 

Moof!

Did anyone else notice the "Piñata" emoji appears to be no less than Clarus the Dogcow?

Apple didn’t design those. 

dysamoriabonobobdoozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 37

ITGUYINSD said:
    I just don't get the point of things like a screwdriver or other objects.  Can't people just type "screwdriver" faster than searching through 12000 emoji's for the screwdriver emoji?

As it is now, I have a hard enough time finding the facial or hand expression I want, let along having to sift through emojis for every word in the dictionary.
    In Messages, it auto suggests emoji based on what you type. Other places you can search for it. It’s not that hard. 
  • Reply 10 of 37

ITGUYINSD said:

In Messages, it auto suggests emoji based on what you type. Other places you can search for it. It’s not that hard. 
    Right, so you're typing the word anyways.  Which emotion does a ladder or screwdriver describe?  It's almost really not an emoji anymore, it's an icon.
    dysamoriadarkvaderelijahgdoozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 37
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    What a joke. What a waste of time. Spending time and resources on catering to a tiny micro-percentage of weirdos.

A male with a veil? Mx Claus?

How many emojis are there in total now? The list is so big already, it'll probably take a long time just to find a certain emoji that somebody wants to use.

edited January 2020 ITGUYINSDjdwelijahgwilliamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 37
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    apple ][ said:
    What a joke. What a waste of time. Spending time and resources on catering to a tiny micro-percentage of weirdos.

How many emojis are there in total now? The list is so big already, it'll probably take a long time just to find a certain emoji that somebody wants to use.

Officially, just over 3000 emojis.

Emojis: the new Esperanto!
    dysamoria
  • Reply 13 of 37
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    yuck9 said:

The Unicode consortium has nothing at all to do with Apple’s unwillingness to fix bugs.
    beowulfschmidtdoozydozenwilliamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 37
    ITGUYINSD said:
    This is what I came here to comment about. This has gotten out of hand. It got out of hand a while ago. I don’t have any problem with many of the characters but the utility of, for example a pile of animals, is opaque to me. How does this help? If we use autosuggest, it still requires us to type while words to get the suggestions. 

This is not a communication-aid tool any more. 
  • Reply 15 of 37

ITGUYINSD said:

In Messages, it auto suggests emoji based on what you type. 
    What effort does that save? How does this HELP improve communication?
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 16 of 37
    GG1 said:
    apple ][ said:

But people LIKE this Esperanto.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    apple ][ said:
    Dude, you’re hardly one to talk about what’s normal or weird, the way you talk around here. In fact, YOU are the minority in this case: a bitter guy who can’t stand change that is being embraced by young people. Emoji are used by FAR MORE than “a tiny micro-percentage”.

Now your other comment, about how the utility of this tool has been defeated by the sheer number of glyphs: THAT is correct, and I agree. This tool has been broken by the Unicode consortium’s lack of constraining it to the most useful-to-communication glyphs. It’s not supposed to be about fun or fashion. It’s not supposed to be about covering ever possible idea, animal, shape, or object.  The Unicode consortium needs to consult some actual linguists and learn about language because they jumped the 🦈.
    CloudTalkindoozydozen
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Ha ha, this site doesn’t even support emoji. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 19 of 37
    dysamoria said:
    apple ][ said:
    Dude, you’re hardly one to talk about what’s normal or weird, the way you talk around here. In fact, YOU are the minority in this case: a bitter guy who can’t stand change that is being embraced by young people. Emoji are used by FAR MORE than “a tiny micro-percentage”.

Now your other comment, about how the utility of this tool has been defeated by the sheer number of glyphs: THAT is correct, and I agree. This tool has been broken by the Unicode consortium’s lack of constraining it to the most useful-to-communication glyphs. It’s not supposed to be about fun or fashion. It’s not supposed to be about covering ever possible idea, animal, shape, or object.  The Unicode consortium needs to consult some actual linguists and learn about language because they jumped the ߦ讦lt;br>
    I'm not talking about emojis in general. I use the occassional emoji myself when I'm using iMessage.

I'm talking about a few specific emojis made for weirdos.

And if you agree with me that there are already too many emojis, and they should only cover useful things, then those weirdo emojis are certainly a waste of time and not needed.
    edited January 2020 elijahgdoozydozen
  • Reply 20 of 37
    GG1 said:
    apple ][ said:

That's insane.

I have a small handful of emojis that I picked out a long time ago that I use. Probably around 10 or so.

So I guess that's 2990 emojis that I wont ever bother using. I don't have the time for scrolling through all that nonsense when typing a quick message.
    edited January 2020 elijahg