Check out the 117 new emoji coming to Apple platforms later this year

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    ITGUYINSD said:

Right, so you're typing the word anyways.  Which emotion does a ladder or screwdriver describe?  It's almost really not an emoji anymore, it's an icon.
    Emoji in Japanese means picture character. You are confusing the word with emoticon. 
    fastasleepRayz2016doozydozen
  • Reply 22 of 37
    Too damn many emojis. And an increasingly clumsy, stupid, cluttered, ridiculous interface that makes it impossible to use for than a usual few.
    MplsPelijahg
  • Reply 23 of 37
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    dysamoria said:
    apple ][ said:
    What a joke. What a waste of time. Spending time and resources on catering to a tiny micro-percentage of weirdos.
    Dude, you’re hardly one to talk about what’s normal or weird, the way you talk around here. In fact, YOU are the minority in this case...
    That's actually the sad part.  So many today embrace change only for the sake of embracing change without reflecting on the content of that change.  And when some younger people do reflect, they think, "Oh, it's the new normal so it must be OK and I'm gonna hate on those who think otherwise."  

I think it's fine and well to accept some change while rejecting other changes.  Just because the majority says something is great, it doesn't mean it is.  I think the very use of Emoji is a significant change from 20 years ago.  But that doesn't mean apple][ or I need to embrace every emoji.  And that selective thought process by no means makes us "bitter."  Heck, I guess I'm a weirdo in the US these days only because I DON'T have a tattoo.  But that doesn't make me want a tattoo.  Here in Japan, not having a tattoo is the culturally acceptable norm.  

The point I am trying to make is that we can get along with each other without endorsing each other's lifestyles.  Being bright and friendly doesn't mean saying, "I agree with every choice YOU make."  

Now as to the choices made with these new emoji, well, they really could have come up with something better.  I'd like to use the Twitter bird or the FaceBook logo sometimes in a post, but there are no Emoji for those.  They are so ubiquitous they should become emoji though.  Emoji are easier to use than FontAwesome.
    apple ][elijahg
  • Reply 24 of 37
    dysamoria said:
    apple ][ said:
    What a joke. What a waste of time. Spending time and resources on catering to a tiny micro-percentage of weirdos.
    Dude, you’re hardly one to talk about what’s normal or weird, the way you talk around here. In fact, YOU are the minority in this case: a bitter guy who can’t stand change that is being embraced by young people
    So, by definition he is oppressed, because he is a minority and he needs to dictate to everyone what they should be doing and how they should be viewing the world. 
    apple ][elijahgJaphey
  • Reply 25 of 37
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    ITGUYINSD said:

ITGUYINSD said:
    I just don't get the point of things like a screwdriver or other objects.  Can't people just type "screwdriver" faster than searching through 12000 emoji's for the screwdriver emoji?

As it is now, I have a hard enough time finding the facial or hand expression I want, let along having to sift through emojis for every word in the dictionary.
    In Messages, it auto suggests emoji based on what you type. Other places you can search for it. It’s not that hard. 
    Right, so you're typing the word anyways.  Which emotion does a ladder or screwdriver describe?  It's almost really not an emoji anymore, it's an icon.
    Who told you emojis must convey an emotion? Literally the first sets of emoji in the late 90's conveyed things like numbers, sports, the time, moon phases, the weather, etc.

Sorry you're having so much trouble understanding this.
  • Reply 26 of 37

dysamoria said:
    Ha ha, this site doesn’t even support emoji. 
    🤦🏼‍♂️
    beowulfschmidtdoozydozenPickUrPoison
  • Reply 27 of 37
    dysamoria said:

ITGUYINSD said:
    I just don't get the point of things like a screwdriver or other objects.  Can't people just type "screwdriver" faster than searching through 12000 emoji's for the screwdriver emoji?

As it is now, I have a hard enough time finding the facial or hand expression I want, let along having to sift through emojis for every word in the dictionary.
    In Messages, it auto suggests emoji based on what you type. 
    What effort does that save? How does this HELP improve communication?
    It's just a shortcut. How does it improve communication? Well, it's international, for one. ¯\(°_o)/¯

How does repeatedly complaining about tech in a tech forum for years and years help anything at all? Didn't stop you.
    edited January 2020 Rayz2016bestkeptsecretbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 28 of 37
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    dysamoria said:
    apple ][ said:
    Dude, you’re hardly one to talk about what’s normal or weird, the way you talk around here. In fact, YOU are the minority in this case: a bitter guy who can’t stand change that is being embraced by young people
    So, by definition he is oppressed, because he is a minority and he needs to dictate to everyone what they should be doing and how they should be viewing the world. 
    That is correct. By his own admission, I am oppressed and I am a minority, and I hereby demand that he address me by Your Royal Highness from now on because I identify as a king.

Failure to do so will obviously be deemed intolerant and will be viewed as hate speech.

elijahganton zuykov
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    apple ][ said:
    dysamoria said:
    apple ][ said:
    Dude, you’re hardly one to talk about what’s normal or weird, the way you talk around here. In fact, YOU are the minority in this case: a bitter guy who can’t stand change that is being embraced by young people. Emoji are used by FAR MORE than “a tiny micro-percentage”.

Now your other comment, about how the utility of this tool has been defeated by the sheer number of glyphs: THAT is correct, and I agree. This tool has been broken by the Unicode consortium’s lack of constraining it to the most useful-to-communication glyphs. It’s not supposed to be about fun or fashion. It’s not supposed to be about covering ever possible idea, animal, shape, or object.  The Unicode consortium needs to consult some actual linguists and learn about language because they jumped the ߦ讦lt;br>
    I'm not talking about emojis in general. I use the occassional emoji myself when I'm using iMessage.

I'm talking about a few specific emojis made for weirdos.

And if you agree with me that there are already too many emojis, and they should only cover useful things, then those weirdo emojis are certainly a waste of time and not needed.
    Weirdos, huh?

And which group of people are you branding as “weirdos”?

And see if you can reply without complaining about someone shoving something in your face. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 30 of 37
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    dysamoria said:
    apple ][ said:
    Dude, you’re hardly one to talk about what’s normal or weird, the way you talk around here. In fact, YOU are the minority in this case: a bitter guy who can’t stand change that is being embraced by young people. Emoji are used by FAR MORE than “a tiny micro-percentage”.

Now your other comment, about how the utility of this tool has been defeated by the sheer number of glyphs: THAT is correct, and I agree. This tool has been broken by the Unicode consortium’s lack of constraining it to the most useful-to-communication glyphs. It’s not supposed to be about fun or fashion. It’s not supposed to be about covering ever possible idea, animal, shape, or object.  The Unicode consortium needs to consult some actual linguists and learn about language because they jumped the 🦈.
    I have plenty of friends of the age to use emojis. Most use their favourite 5 or 6, and the rest lay unused. It’d be interesting to see the usage of each emoji across the internet, I bet some of them are only used in lists of emojis and nowhere else. I don’t think this ridiculousness will stop unfortunately until we have an icon for every object imaginable; because the “Unicode consortium” is never going to self disband. 

The even more ridiculous thing is when there is inevitably a cull of emojis in the future, there will be empty square boxes left all over the internet where an emoji once was. It’s becoming absurd now
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 31 of 37
    apple ][ said:
    I'm not talking about emojis in general. I use the occassional emoji myself when I'm using iMessage.

I'm talking about a few specific emojis made for weirdos.

And if you agree with me that there are already too many emojis, and they should only cover useful things, then those weirdo emojis are certainly a waste of time and not needed.
    And who gets to define "weirdo" and "useful" for the rest of humanity?  You?

I too find more of them to be silly, but I will admit to one thing that was brought to my attention recently.  In a text based, multi-lingual world where more and more people are not face to face when communicating, emojis can serve to signal intent and meaning where words alone are less than adequate.

And for those who might think of chiming in with "people should talk face to face more", I suggest having a face to face talk with reality.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 32 of 37
    dewme said:
    Isn't the hand gesture shown by the third emoji from the left on the top row considered offensive in some cultures and countries?
    I thought as much as well.  I know my high school chemistry teacher of first generation Mediterranean Europe heritage treated it as such.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    dysamoria said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    This is what I came here to comment about. This has gotten out of hand. It got out of hand a while ago. I don’t have any problem with many of the characters but the utility of, for example a pile of animals, is opaque to me. How does this help? If we use autosuggest, it still requires us to type while words to get the suggestions. 

This is not a communication-aid tool any more. 
    Take the joyless route: go to the keyboard settings and remove the keyboard. (The keyboard area is already crammed full as it is.)
    You will still be able to see emojis, but since the menu isn't customisable, searchable and difficult to browse - why not just save yourself the trouble and do away with it altogether?
    edited January 2020 fastasleep
  • Reply 34 of 37
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    yuck9 said:
    I know. Let's not fix os problems, let's add more emoji and maybe they will forget the problems we can't fix. 

The Unicode Consortium solicits proposals from the public for which new emoji should be considered for inclusion in the standard. Here’s a sample of some of the latest emoji to be added:

Here's some info on the Unicode Standard

MplsPfastasleep
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Thank goodness there is finally a fondue emoji!
    MplsP
  • Reply 36 of 37
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Well on the way back to hieroglyphics. They say that everything makes a come back.