Apple rolls out improved Maps to all users in the US

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
On Thursday afternoon, Apple announced that all users in the United States have access to a redesigned Maps with faster and more accurate navigation, plus comprehensive views of landmarks.

Improvements to Apple Maps, now available to all users in the US
Improvements to Apple Maps, now available to all users in the US

After years of work, Apple has completed the rollout of this new Apple Maps experience in the United States. It will begin rolling the new experience out across Europe in the coming months, as it builds the dataset.

"We set out to create the best and most private maps app on the planet that is reflective of how people explore the world today," said Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "It is an effort we are deeply invested in and required that we rebuild the map from the ground up to reimagine how Maps enhances people's lives -- from navigating to work or school or planning an important vacation -- all with privacy at its core."

Apple's new Maps experience offers interactive street-level imagery with high-resolution, 3D photography and smooth and seamless transitions through major cities with Look Around. Customers from anywhere in the world can navigate through New York City, the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Houston, Oahu, and more.

Apple's Look Around, on the iPad
Apple's Look Around, on the iPad

Users can easily build and share lists of their favorite restaurants, places they want to visit or top sites for their next big vacation using Collections. Favorites allow for quick and easy navigation to frequent stops.

Apple is also noting more improved features in Maps, including:
  • Real-time transit info, now in Miami

• Share ETA to family, friends, or co-workers

• Flight status

• Indoor maps for malls and airports

• Siri Natural Language Guidance in the US

• Flyover
In regards to Privacy, Apple is committed to keeping personal information safe.

"Any data collected by Maps while using the app, like search terms, navigation routing and traffic information, is associated with random identifiers that continually reset to ensure the best possible experience and to improve Maps," Apple says. "Maps goes even further to obscure a user's location on Apple servers when searching for a location through a process called "fuzzing." Maps converts the precise location where the search originated to a less-exact one after 24 hours and does not retain a history of what has been searched or where a user has been."

To create the new Apple Maps, which debuted alongside iOS 12, Apple collected mountains of mapping, navigation, routing and image data from dedicated platforms like Apple Maps vans. New features continue to be added to Maps, like the Look Around view in iOS 13. Similar to Google's Street View, Look Around provides street-level imagery for real-world navigation.

Apple developed the comprehensive mapping solution after the embarrassing launch of Maps in 2012, the company's first foray into the world of mapping after ditching most integrated Google services in iOS 6. The original deployment of Maps in iOS 6 was unreliable and incorporated incorrect data, while its signature feature -- Flyover -- suffered from graphical issues.

Criticism was so widespread that CEO Tim Cook issued an apology to customers frustrated by the dodgy software, and promised improvements.

"We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps," Tim Cook said at the time. "In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    First thing I’ll  do after downloading it is compare it to Google maps.
    SoundJudgment
  • Reply 2 of 64
    jas99jas99 Posts: 149member
    So much work went into this. A colossal achievement that really only Apple would undertake. . 
    SoundJudgmentwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 64
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,570member
    Is Canada in the initial deployment or in the Europe deployment or some other time? Sometimes when people say "US" they also mean Canada.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 64
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    I would be mostly satisfied if AM just gives me the correct directions each time. I'm by no means a frequent user of it, but I have had several times in the past two years where it directs me to a totally wrong location -- which I only found out after attempting to drive there and get into an endless loop once I'm close to what AM thought was the destination. Not encountered recently, but I also hope they fixed the problem where it would provide directions to an identically named place that is 1000+ miles from my current location instead of the one that is <5 miles from my current location.
    williamlondonJWSCindieshackOfermicrobe
  • Reply 5 of 64
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Is Canada in the initial deployment or in the Europe deployment or some other time? Sometimes when people say "US" they also mean Canada.
    It is not Canada-wide. There are regions of Canada that have the new data sets.
    caladaniangregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 64
    Since I got a car with CarPlay last year, I have been using AM exclusively over the other apps. I haven't been disappointed. In fact, on one day in to work, I brought up Waze to see about an alternative route, and AM had a shorter less congested route as its top pick. Just noticed Look Around and the photos are beautiful and sharp. I like being able to share my drive with my family who are iDevice users too. I'm a big fan of the new Maps.
    mike1caladanianjony0watto_cobrastantheman
  • Reply 7 of 64
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    Apple Maps has steadily improved since it’s launch and I use it almost exclusively. Street View was one feature for which I would revert to Google, so hopefully the new version obviates that need. I have found that the road hazard notification feature of AM is all but useless. Of all the notifications I’ve received while driving with Apple Maps I think they’ve been accurate once.

Apple still needs to add some relatively basic features, like the ability to request a certain route or add stops along the way/choose multiple destinations.
    baconstangcaladanianOferminicoffeeentropysmarklarkdamn_its_hotwatto_cobrastantheman
  • Reply 8 of 64
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) I've been using the new Maps since last year and I still haven't been able to find the Look Around option. Are these as limited as FlyOver despite all those Apple Maps cars I've seen in my area over the years?

2) I wish Apple Maps used the maps.apple.com website. If you export a location and try to open it in a browser that can call one of their apps it will send yo to maps.google.com. Maybe it's too much work and cost, but I'd think users being able to choose Apple Maps in the browser would help keep users data more private and show that Apple Maps is an excellent alternative. There could even be Android users that don't want to switch to an iPhone because they're under the impression that Apple Maps isn't good.
    edited January 2020 JWSCminicoffeejcs2305StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 64
    The only issue I’ve encountered once the update rolled out to my area (Midwest), was Apple Maps wants to take me a mile past my destination (work) so that I can make a U Turn, and head back to destination...instead of just turning left into the parking lot. Everything else about the update is amazing. 
    gregoriusmmarklarkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 64
    The only issue I’ve encountered once the update rolled out to my area (Midwest), was Apple Maps wants to take me a mile past my destination (work) so that I can make a U Turn, and head back to destination...instead of just turning left into the parking lot. Everything else about the update is amazing. 
    I run into the occasional u-turn issue with some directions. If I’ve got time, I submit an Issue report although it’s a bit of a PITA to do.
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 64
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member
    I got really excited only to learn that look around and flyover are still major metros only feature.
    caladanianJWSCgregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 64
    jas99 said:
    So much work went into this. A colossal achievement that really only Apple would undertake. . 
    I agree. Very impressive.

That said, I wish I could say the same about Apple's much-vaunted iTunes ("Music") update. It's still feels largely as messy and slow/bloated as it was before.
    mobird
  • Reply 13 of 64
    Google Maps has always been better. 
    chemengin1indieshack
  • Reply 14 of 64
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member
    Google Maps has always been better. 
    It’s always had a seven year head start.
    MarkRchabigmacguiwelshdogdamn_its_hotwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 64
    Does this update include the Apple Maps app on MacOS Catalina or Mojave? If not, why not? Why shouldn't Apple Maps on MacOS be included in the update? Has MacOS become a stepchild to Apple and iOS? It seems a bit unfair despite the company no longer being called Apple Computer...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 64
    As much as I hate to say it, AM is still SO far behind Google Maps. Even simply things like trying to find the route number of a road, or the names of rivers, and of course, especially Street View. I keep hoping for a reason to switch, but AM always keeps pushing me back to GM. So many of these “improvements” are just eye candy.
    chemengin1indieshack
  • Reply 17 of 64
    You’ll be delighted to know that Canada is included in the next phase...along with about 10 more countries/regions. https://mwp14.ls.apple.com/imagecollection/locations/ca
    gregoriusmjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 64
    Soli said:
    1) I've been using the new Maps since last year and I still haven't been able to find the Look Around option. Are these as limited as FlyOver despite all those Apple Maps cars I've seen in my area over the years?

2) I wish Apple Maps used the maps.apple.com website. If you export a location and try to open it in a browser that can call one of their apps it will send yo to maps.google.com. Maybe it's too much work and cost, but I'd think users being able to choose Apple Maps in the browser would help keep users data more private and show that Apple Maps is an excellent alternative. There could even be Android users that don't want to switch to an iPhone because they're under the impression that Apple Maps isn't good.
    I can help you with your first point. Look Around only works in a few cites/locations. (From the article: “New York City, the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Houston, Oahu, and more”.). Look Around only works in Map or Transport view, not in Satellite view. I hope this helps. You have to pinch in a certain degree before the binoculars (symbol for Look Around) appear.
    edited January 2020 fastasleepwatto_cobrambenz1962
  • Reply 19 of 64
    I wish they would rebuild Siri from the ground up. 

Maybe just maybe I’ll stop using Waze but I seriously doubt it. 
    indieshack
  • Reply 20 of 64
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Great news. So how long before I can buy a true Flight Simulator-alternative for my 27" iMac?