Apple TV gets new underwater screensavers featuring coral reefs, sharks, and jellies

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
The Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K have 11 new underwater screensavers, available in both 1080p and 4k.

Apple regularly adds new screensavers to the Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K, giving something for users to view between viewing sessions. Playing a vital role for some older televisions to fend off the ghosting effect from showing user interface elements and logos regularly, the screen savers are practical and entertaining, as well as showing off the capabilities of the set-top streaming boxes.

The latest screen savers were added early this week, consisting of a variety of underwater scenes featuring a variety of creatures and subjects, including whales, dolphins, coral reefs, stingrays, sharks, and jellyfish. The new batch was spotted by 9to5Mac.

Apple TV now has plenty of screen savers, including the Los Angelas skyline, drone footage of Chinese landscapes, and outdoor scenes of Greenland.

The screensavers can be found in the Aerial screensavers on your Apple TV. The Apple TV's settings dictate whether tvOS checks for new videos, so it's worth checking to see if you have automatic downloads enabled.

If you don't have your own Apple TV, you can head over to Benjamin Mayo's site, where you'll be able to watch the screensavers in Safari.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    alanhalanh Posts: 75member
    Jellyfish aren't new, i had them at least 3-4 weeks ago.
    chabigScot1sandor
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Guys, I don't have an AppleTV yet, but I was wondering:  Can you set them to use your own photos for rotating wallpaper like you can on the Mac?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I didn’t think these were new. I’ve seen the jellyfish screen saver from time to time ever since tv os 13 came out
  • Reply 4 of 18
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    jdiamond said:
    Guys, I don't have an AppleTV yet, but I was wondering:  Can you set them to use your own photos for rotating wallpaper like you can on the Mac?

Yes.
    jdiamond
  • Reply 5 of 18
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    If the screenshot accompanying the article is any indication, this is a different species of jellyfish than the ones that have been playing for the last month or so.
    lolliverfastasleep
  • Reply 6 of 18
    If the screenshot accompanying the article is any indication, this is a different species of jellyfish than the ones that have been playing for the last month or so.
    Good eye. Rather than identifying species, my thought was just "This photo has a lot more of them there squishy lookin' dudes."
    pscooter63
  • Reply 7 of 18
    I have been using Ariel for a couple of years and it's really a fine screensaver. The automatic update doesn't seem to be working on Catalina so I downloaded it (version 1.7.0) and installed it manually and it works fine. I think it's the best screensaver around. I get so much enjoyment out of watching those videos. I think there are compilations of those Ariel/Apple videos on YouTube that play them all and some have music added to them.
    jdiamond
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
    jdiamond said:
    Yes
    jdiamond
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Scot1Scot1 Posts: 121member
    I wish Apple would get more city screensavers from different countries. 

There currently are no screensavers from Canada. Vancouver and Toronto come to mind. 

• Reply 10 of 18
    HeliBumHeliBum Posts: 129member
    I've never checked to see if there's a flying toaster screen saver on the Apple TV. If not, there needs to be for all us nostalgia buffs.
    elijahgrandominternetpersonmobirddigitol
  • Reply 11 of 18
    I wish you could select a category, such as ‘land,’ ‘sea,’ or ‘space’ to narrow down which ones you are more interested in seeing, say, at different times, seasons, etc. Other than that, I like most of them overall.
    jdiamond
  • Reply 12 of 18
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    I think these may be the best thing about the AppleTV! I love the aerial and underwater views.
    edited January 2020 jdiamond
  • Reply 13 of 18
    The screensaver selection seems to favor some scenes over others. I've seen the Burj Khalifa and that Chinese canyon forest so many times.
    Scot1
  • Reply 14 of 18
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Sometimes when I don't feel like watching any content on my Apple TV, I just leave the TV on and the video screensavers will cycle for hours and hours. I am also putting forth my best efforts to help increase my carbon footprint and sabotage the green movement.

The TV becomes like a picture frame or a work of art on the wall and is just on in the background and it looks rather nice and not boring and static like a real painting, because it's constantly changing.

And yes, those Jellyfish have been there for a while. I remember seeing them for weeks now.
    edited January 2020 entropys
  • Reply 15 of 18
    This just posted today!? Been out for at least 3-4 weeks now. I mean cmon, how weak are your Mac skills/powers. Amateur hour out here!! Oh well whatever. For those who don't have ATV try this for the Mac. https://github.com/JohnCoates/Aerial (also been around since the start of these screensavers). So there. Don't say I never did anything for ya now. Punks.  B) :p
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 16 of 18
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    HeliBum said:
    I've never checked to see if there's a flying toaster screen saver on the Apple TV. If not, there needs to be for all us nostalgia buffs.
    A live action version over Sydney harbour please. Incoming a la x-wings in the force awakens.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    My kids love the Burj Khalifa one.  We live in Kuwait and go to Dubai regularly and always stay overlooking the tower.  

The kids (aged 3 and 2) always recognise it when it comes up in 4K.

gotta say it does look stunning.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    apple ][ said:
    Sometimes when I don't feel like watching any content on my Apple TV, I just leave the TV on and the video screensavers will cycle for hours and hours. I am also putting forth my best efforts to help increase my carbon footprint and sabotage the green movement.

The TV becomes like a picture frame or a work of art on the wall and is just on in the background and it looks rather nice and not boring and static like a real painting, because it's constantly changing.

And yes, those Jellyfish have been there for a while. I remember seeing them for weeks now.
    Yeah I’m sure your place comes off like a real museum...
    edited February 2020