FCC finds 'one or more' carriers broke law by selling customer location data

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
The U.S. Federal Communications Commission on Friday said it completed a comprehensive investigation into alleged wrongdoings by wireless carriers that collected and sold customer location data, concluding the companies "apparently" broke the law.

Ajit Pai
FCC Chairman Ajit Pai.

FCC Chairman Ajit Pai in a letter to Representative Frank Pallone (D-NJ) said "one or more" carriers might face fines over what has been deemed as illegal practices, reports Motherboard.

"I wish to inform you that the FCC's Enforcement Bureau has completed its extensive investigation and that it has concluded that one or more wireless carriers apparently violated federal law," Pai said. "In the coming days, I intend to circulate to my fellow Commissioners for their consideration one or more Notices of Apparent Liability for Forfeiture in connection with the apparent violations."

The letter arrives nearly two years after initial media reports detailed a disturbing trend that saw multiple telecoms, including AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile, profit from the collection and sale of user location data without their express knowledge. Data was sold to third parties who acted as middlemen to a wide range of buyers, including law enforcement agencies, bounty hunters, tracking services and alleged stalkers.

Public outcry and multiple class action lawsuits prompted carriers to offer assurances that they controversial programs would be terminated. Verizon was first to act and cut ties with location aggregators in November 2018, followed by AT&T efforts to "accelerate" a drawdown in January 2019. T-Mobile cut off service provider access to location data on Feb. 2, 2019, and terminated LBS contracts with location aggregators on March 9, 2019. Sprint halted access on May 31, 2019.

"For more than a year, the FCC was silent after news reports altered us that for just a few hundred dollars, shady middlemen could sell your location within a few hundred meters based on your wireless phone data," FCC Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel said in a statement. "It's chilling to consider what a black market could do with this data. It puts the safety and privacy of every American with a wireless phone at risk."

Rosenworcel said much the same in a statement last May that called out both the companies involved and the commission for lack of transparency on the matter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    Ajit Pai stonewalled this as long as he could, but even he couldn't sweep this under the rug. I suspect this action was taken because of some soon-to-be-released expose or other-agency action that meant he couldn't be seen to be nothing anymore.
    GeorgeBMacdysamoriaFileMakerFellerjony0badmonk
  • Reply 2 of 10
    kudukudu Posts: 44member
    Disturbing stuff. How did it even become a thing? Is the pursuit of profit that consuming, that the safety and privacy of their (the 4 major carriers) customers was not a limiting consideration?? That’s a rhetorical question. 

Sue the bastards into oblivion!
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 3 of 10
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    chasm said:
    Ajit Pai stonewalled this as long as he could, but even he couldn't sweep this under the rug. I suspect this action was taken because of some soon-to-be-released expose or other-agency action that meant he couldn't be seen to be nothing anymore.

Increasingly, as our federal government is gutted, busting illegal and unethical practices both in corporate and government organizations is being left to the media -- which is itself struggling to finance investigative reporting.   Our traditional protections of living in a society based on rules, laws and ethics are hanging by a thread.
    dysamoriaFileMakerFellerjony0
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    chasm said:
    Yes, my thoughts exactly. The man is a tool.
    GeorgeBMacjony0badmonk
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Does anyone proofread anymore? “offer assurances that they controversial programs would be terminated.”
    dysamoriabulk001
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Does anyone proofread anymore? “offer assurances that they controversial programs would be terminated.”
    No, proofreads are left to the reader. Instant gratification leaves no time for craftsman level work.
    dysamoriaFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 7 of 10
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    Is breaking the law still a bad thing?
    GeorgeBMacdysamoriajony0badmonk
  • Reply 8 of 10
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    kudu said:
    Disturbing stuff. How did it even become a thing? Is the pursuit of profit that consuming, that the safety and privacy of their (the 4 major carriers) customers was not a limiting consideration?? That’s a rhetorical question. 

Sue the bastards into oblivion!
    Oh but remember, kids: capitalism is self-regulating!!

[hey, can you grab my eyes for me; they rolled right out of my head and landed on the floor way over there]
    FileMakerFellerjony0
  • Reply 9 of 10
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

2old4fun said:
    No, proofreads are left to the reader. Instant gratification leaves no time for craftsman level work.
    We are literally banned from commenting about article typos. It’s in the terms of service.
    bulk001
  • Reply 10 of 10
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    dysamoria said:

2old4fun said:
    We are literally banned from commenting about article typos. It’s in the terms of service.
    You are not far off. I once pointed out a grammatical error and the moderators threatened to ban anyone else commenting on it. I’ll probably be banned now. I actually used to read this site a lot but used Little Snitch to block it on my computer but still occasionally drop by on my phone as I buy computers for work and come to check their pricing deals (which are actually pretty good).