EU lawmakers snub Apple's pleas, overwhelmingly vote to push for charging cable standard

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 118
    dewme said:
    all manner of country specific power adapters (why do UK and Singapore wall plugs have to be of such Titanic proportions?), that also function as bludgeoning weapons. 

Why in order to hurt you when you step on them of course, just in case your kids put away their legos.
    baconstangFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 102 of 118
    apple ][ said:
    ktappe said:
    apple ][ said:
    the dictatorship known as the EU
    Considering half the US government is defending their "a president can do no wrong" leader at all costs and in spite of all logic and law, much like a king, you might not want to be casting this stone from the glass house in which you live.

The EU is not needed and is not relevant in the big scheme of things.
    The EU is larger than the US. You might want to learn of what you speak before you post.
    Trump has done nothing wrong and will be just fine from the hoax impeachment. Nothing will come of it.

And larger in terms of people does not mean more important.
    French butter means they are more important than the US
  • Reply 103 of 118
    Fatman said:
    Standardize your darn outlets first. Anyone who travels throughout Europe and Asia knows what I’m talking about l. I need to keep a bag full of adapters and a converters with me - talk about waste.
    Actually there are I guess 3 main wall plug types you need to worry about. The US / China twin blade, the UK plug and the EU Type C.

It’s mainly Australia that insists on angling their twin blades to stand out i guess.
  • Reply 104 of 118
    seanj said:
    ElCapitan said:
    EU standardization like this tend to spill into the entire European market fast. That will also include the UK, as the UK don't have any mobile phone industry of their own, they basically just have to accept the EU standard. 

WRONG. The U.K. is leaving today and won’t be accepting EU diktats anymore. It’s already been announced for example we won’t be adopting the EU’s ridiculous new copyright directive than will prevent a lot of YouTube, Facebook, Instagram postings.

Not having any local mobile phone industry - we do the important stuff instead like ARM Holdings - is irrelevant. This is about consumers, and we will be able to buy things people in the EU aren’t, from Lightning port iPhones to powerful vacuum cleaners (yes the EU actually banned those!)

Roll on Brexit!! :smiley: 
    Talking about 'important stuff instead': people do realise that the technology at the heart of chip manufacturing has been developed by ASML, right? And that ASML is neither an American nor a UK business? All this "Europe is technologically way behind" chatter is in fact a display of incredible, blatant ignorance.
    baconstang
  • Reply 105 of 118
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    basjhj said:
    seanj said:
    ElCapitan said:
    EU standardization like this tend to spill into the entire European market fast. That will also include the UK, as the UK don't have any mobile phone industry of their own, they basically just have to accept the EU standard. 

WRONG. The U.K. is leaving today and won’t be accepting EU diktats anymore. It’s already been announced for example we won’t be adopting the EU’s ridiculous new copyright directive than will prevent a lot of YouTube, Facebook, Instagram postings.

Not having any local mobile phone industry - we do the important stuff instead like ARM Holdings - is irrelevant. This is about consumers, and we will be able to buy things people in the EU aren’t, from Lightning port iPhones to powerful vacuum cleaners (yes the EU actually banned those!)

Roll on Brexit!! :smiley: 
    Talking about 'important stuff instead': people do realise that the technology at the heart of chip manufacturing has been developed by ASML, right? And that ASML is neither an American nor a UK business? All this "Europe is technologically way behind" chatter is in fact a display of incredible, blatant ignorance.
    Not to mention that ARM isn't UK owned either. Most here will never have heard of ASML or its technological advances, although Trump in his effort to stop China overtaking the US has not wasted any time threatening the Dutch to not sell its most advanced tech to Chinese companies.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-asml-holding-usa-china-insight/trump-administration-pressed-dutch-hard-to-cancel-china-chip-equipment-sale-sources-idUSKBN1Z50HN
  • Reply 106 of 118
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    Charbax said:
    The EU, China, everybody just needs to ban the iPhone. Outright. It's an overpriced piece of shit that steals consumers precious money by being a totally overpriced scam and all its proprietary bull pollutes the planet.
    Whatever. 200 million people would seem to think you’re full of cow manure. 

• Reply 107 of 118
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    The standardization directive is just that — a directive. There’s no meat behind it. 

The tech companies with EU Reps will be hammering out specifics in the coming months, resulting in decisions in the summer. 

Also the directive is explicit in saying that the decisions must continue to support innovation. 

It seems to me the short term key issue will be marketing. If the purpose is to prevent waste, Apple and others will have to decide whether chargers will be included with new phones and other electronics, given everyone now owns multiple compatible chargers.
  • Reply 108 of 118
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    sdw2001 said:
    The fact that the EU could force Apple and others to adopt a universal connector standard is unbelievable.  Government has no role in telling companies what they can make and how they should make it.  I'd like to see Apple and Samsung just give the EU the proverbial finger.  Tell them, 'we're doing what we think is right for our businesses.  If you don't like it, we'll pull out of the EU market entirely."   
    It is ironic that you mentioned Apple and Samsung. Both have a history of poorly designed cabling.
    Complete nonsense, as usual. Apple’s device cabling is excellent; particular in the MacBook line. Lightning is excellent and spurred USB-C. I also enjoy the particular plastic they use which has a spongier texture to resist tangling. I’ve tried Anker, Amazon, and Monoprice and had them all fail (busting apart, or simply ceasing to function for no apparent reason) sooner than my Apple stuff. 
    What!?

Apple has come in for much criticism on cabling, notably requiring reinforcing cable attachments and fraying. Terminations are too small, not ergonomic and very slippery. It has been far from 'excellent'.
    ...and StrangeDays has a history of being so incredibly pro-Apple that his opinions are completely worthless. (I challenge anyone to find a single post from him where he disagreed with Apple!)
    elijahg
  • Reply 109 of 118
    avon b7 said:
    sdw2001 said:
    The fact that the EU could force Apple and others to adopt a universal connector standard is unbelievable.  Government has no role in telling companies what they can make and how they should make it.  I'd like to see Apple and Samsung just give the EU the proverbial finger.  Tell them, 'we're doing what we think is right for our businesses.  If you don't like it, we'll pull out of the EU market entirely."   
    It is not unbelievable. It is completely normal and the first MoU reduced more than 30 proprietary charging connectors to just three. It also led to cables not forming an inseparable part of the charger, allowing users to not only choose the manufacturer of the cable but not have to sacrifice the charter itself due to a broken cable/connector.

The end result of EU action was that industry change was applied worldwide.

The MoU expired in 2014 and this proposal aims to benefit users more through increased competition and device interoperability.

Apple and Samsung are perfectly welcome to abandon the EU market if they wish but the EU has a duty to think beyond 'business'.

It is ironic that you mentioned Apple and Samsung. Both have a history of poorly designed cabling.
    I really wish you’d quit injecting facts and reason into this thread - here we’re all trying to have uninformed, America-centric, self righteous diatribes and hissy fits and you keep ruining it with facts! Just stop it, would you?
    avon b7FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 110 of 118
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Charbax said:
    The EU, China, everybody just needs to ban the iPhone. Outright. It's an overpriced piece of shit that steals consumers precious money by being a totally overpriced scam and all its proprietary bull pollutes the planet.
    Not a popular opinion here, I'd think. The iPhone is less polluting than Android phones, of course, as they all last longer. 
  • Reply 111 of 118
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    Charbax said:
    Flagged for (quite uninspired) trolling.
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 112 of 118
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member

MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    sdw2001 said:
    Complete nonsense, as usual. Apple’s device cabling is excellent; particular in the MacBook line. Lightning is excellent and spurred USB-C. I also enjoy the particular plastic they use which has a spongier texture to resist tangling. I’ve tried Anker, Amazon, and Monoprice and had them all fail (busting apart, or simply ceasing to function for no apparent reason) sooner than my Apple stuff. 
    What!?

Apple has come in for much criticism on cabling, notably requiring reinforcing cable attachments and fraying. Terminations are too small, not ergonomic and very slippery. It has been far from 'excellent'.
    ...and StrangeDays has a history of being so incredibly pro-Apple that his opinions are completely worthless. (I challenge anyone to find a single post from him where he disagreed with Apple!)
    Ah, another satisfied customer! It doesn’t bother me at all that people called out for their BS get pissy about it. Just put your fingers in your ears. 

But if you feel my opinions of Apple are without criticism, then you simply haven’t been paying attention. Just because I enjoy knocking down the silly BS from the usuals and the trolls, doesn’t mean I feel Apple can do no wrong, dur. 

As for cables, people complain about all cables. Sure I’ve seen the “but mah cables don’t last!” posts, but I’ve run Apple gear for decades and somehow managed to avoid them falling apart. Dunno what I’m doing wrong. But Monoprice, Amazon, and Anker all routinely fail for me under the same conditions. 

It’s laughable that our knockoff champion feels Apple connections are too small, slipper, and not ergonomic. Lightning is better than USBC in every way. MacBook chargers changed the game, not using cylinder plugs common to PCs, and novel cable management features. But the dude doesn’t even have an iPhone, so what does he know?
  • Reply 113 of 118

MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    sdw2001 said:
    What!?

Ah, another satisfied customer! It doesn’t bother me at all that people called out for their BS get pissy about it. Just put your fingers in your ears. 

But if you feel my opinions of Apple are without criticism, then you simply haven’t been paying attention. Just because I enjoy knocking down the silly BS from the usuals and the trolls, doesn’t mean I feel Apple can do no wrong, dur. 

As for cables, people complain about all cables. Sure I’ve seen the “but mah cables don’t last!” posts, but I’ve run Apple gear for decades and somehow managed to avoid them falling apart. Dunno what I’m doing wrong. But Monoprice, Amazon, and Anker all routinely fail for me under the same conditions. 

It’s laughable that our knockoff champion feels Apple connections are too small, slipper, and not ergonomic. Lightning is better than USBC in every way. MacBook chargers changed the game, not using cylinder plugs common to PCs, and novel cable management features. But the dude doesn’t even have an iPhone, so what does he know?
    Nothing wrong with knocking down silly BS, as long as you don't just add more BS. I can't claim to have read all of your comments, but I've read plenty of them. The general theme is: "Apple is right, as usual," "it's user error," or  "I've never experienced this/it works perfectly for me" (Oddly, I've never see you experience a problem with any hardware/software bug. hmmm.)

As for Apple's cables, the fact that you claim to never have had a problem with them means either you're lying or you don't use them. They're not bad cables by any means, but they're not outstanding, either; they're distinctly average. We have a several lightning cables at work that people use to charge their phones and the Apple cables always fray at the lightning end far sooner than higher quality cables from Anker, etc. 
    elijahg
  • Reply 114 of 118
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member
    MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:
    sdw2001 said:
    It is not unbelievable. It is completely normal and the first MoU reduced more than 30 proprietary charging connectors to just three. It also led to cables not forming an inseparable part of the charger, allowing users to not only choose the manufacturer of the cable but not have to sacrifice the charter itself due to a broken cable/connector.

The MoU expired in 2014 and this proposal aims to benefit users more through increased competition and device interoperability.

Apple and Samsung are perfectly welcome to abandon the EU market if they wish but the EU has a duty to think beyond 'business'.

I really wish you’d quit injecting facts and reason into this thread - here we’re all trying to have uninformed, America-centric, self righteous diatribes and hissy fits and you keep ruining it with facts! Just stop it, would you?

MplsP said:
    avon b7 said:
    sdw2001 said:

Yet we aren’t allowed to discuss the mandate America’s Government is trying to inflict on the world as that is too political.
  • Reply 115 of 118
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I’m so happy the Brits said “enough of this nonsense@ and left the EU. A bunch of idiots making decisions that entire countries and cultures need to adapt... sounds like a terrible idea. These fools have no idea what they’re even voting in.
    Not sure what surprises me more, that the EU still exists or that people actually want to be part of it.
  • Reply 116 of 118
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Forcing us to usb will create waste. Imagine all the lightning cables going in the bin.
    We continue to buy an iPhone each time and we can use our previous cables.
  • Reply 117 of 118
    There are so many devices in every home that do (or could) run on DC power that perhaps building codes should be modified to provide DC power at every power outlet and this would ELIMINATE the need for AC/DC power converters for every future and existing device. But I forgot, that would require common sense.
    Alternating Current is much more efficient for transferring power over a reasonable distance. If everything were Direct Current then there would need to be many more power boosters between the power generation stations and the buildings consuming the power. The only reason we have DC at all is that Edison promoted it extensively and did his level best to discredit Tesla - whose AC invention meant that we didn't need to pay Edison to build even more expensive electrical infrastructure.

You might want to start with an approachable read: https://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla
  • Reply 118 of 118
    sdw2001 said:
    If my company were to use a manufacturing process that poisoned the water and land around the factory for 20 miles, and I was fine with that because I didn't live near the factory, would you still argue that point about government involvement?

Exaggeration for effect is of limited use; please recognise that trade-offs exist in everything and we need to be more nuanced in our debate.
    baconstang