What in the hell happened to the Switch campaign?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple always seems to do this. They spend a lot of money on an ad (Powerbook ad, iPod ads, Scwitcher ads) and they air for about a week or two and then poof! They are gone. They launch this new part of their website dedicated to the Switch campaign and it garners a lot of positive press. Instead of riding the wave and getting the word out they just let it die. The Switch campaign is for the most part gone...what the hell happened to it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I've wondered that myself. It just kind of ended after Will Ferrell's Santa ads at Christmastime. Did they think that they campaigned long enough? I doubt it.

It certainly does no good keeping all the Switch stuff on the site. Only people interested in Apple will go there. That's a moot point. If Apple wants to get the average Windows user, the site isn't doing any good because most of them don't visit Apple.com.

So...huh.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I'm sure they'll be back.

After Safari and AppleWorks 7 are released, the Music service is ready to fly and a 64bit-all new PowerMac with 10.3 is unveiled at WWDC, it'll be a whole other ball game.

Apple's probably saving their pennies whiile everyone's preoccupied with the war, in anticipation of a huge Fall campaign.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Maybe its just not working...

or the costs outweigh the beneifts...
  • Reply 4 of 15
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Time to get a reasonably priced product, with a cool bundle -- printer, some 3rd party wares, a game or two, etc etc -- make an infomercial, and get on a TV shopping channel to start hocking iBooks and iMacs. I'll bet they see a better ROI, than they do with any of their ad efforts.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I imagine that they hit the end of their budget and know that this time of the year is traditionally not good "advertising season". BUT, they do seem to let campaigns die on the vine.....
  • Reply 6 of 15
    For all the hype, the switcher campaign couldn't distract people from the difference in price between Macs and PC
  • Reply 7 of 15
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    I think it might be THE WAR.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

I think it might be THE WAR.

THE WAR does noteabley affect advertiser's strategies. coke & some others pulled ads completely for a couple days. i have the feeling you know this already though.

my favorite part about the war has been the lack of McD's commercials, thhough i think they have started again.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

THE WAR does noteabley affect advertiser's strategies.

Sorry this is off-topic, but that got me thinking....(scary, I know)

Now would be an excellent time for car companies to really push sales of HYBRID cars. "Oil is BAD! Buy a Hybrid. Use less gas!"
  • Reply 10 of 15
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Sorry this is off-topic, but that got me thinking....(scary, I know)

Now would be an excellent time for car companies to really push sales of HYBRID cars. "Oil is BAD! Buy a Hybrid. Use less gas!"

that is a really interesting idea. you should join a marketing firm! (or start one)
  • Reply 11 of 15
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Probably Matsu, but I don't think they even need to go that far.

If Apple Canada were to put together a catalog, similar in concept to the Sony catalog you can pick up anywhere, they'd have to double the capacity of their manufacturing plants.

Put it in the National Post and Globe and Mail (readers who have the disposable income to buy Apple's product line-up) and watch the apple.ca web-store go ballistic.

Those 30-second tv spots are a waste. You can't explain the Mac advantage in 30 seconds.

And Will Ferrell is annoying anyway.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

....Those 30-second tv spots are a waste. You can't explain the Mac advantage in 30 seconds.

And Will Ferrell is annoying anyway.

Did those Will shots really go on TV!?! I thought they were just a joke. ::shrug::
  • Reply 13 of 15
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I think the iPod one from Christmas may have.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    xterra48xterra48 Posts: 169member
    The reason that honda and toyota aren't pushing their hybrids right now is because each vehicle is sold at a $5000+ loss. they are good to say, "look our company is good to the environment." People will go out and buy hybrids on their own accord (no pun intended), but DIRECTLY advertising a hybrid would be an economic error.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Apple's still updating their Switch stories page... couple new ones up today (er... yesterday).

http://www.apple.com/switch/stories/