Disney+ attracts 28.6M subscribers in less than 3 months

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2020
Disney's new video streaming service, Disney+, now boasts more than 28 million paying subscribers after launching against market competitor Apple TV+ in November, the company revealed on Tuesday.

Disney Plus

The figure was officially reported in Disney's quarterly earnings report as 26.5 million subscribers at the end of December, but CEO Bob Iger in an earnings conference call after the bell said the service hit 28.6 million as of Monday, according to The Verge.

Disney has leaned heavily on promotions to help push subscriber numbers, presenting new users with deals on annual subscriptions during the holiday shopping season, providing discounts for multi-year obligations and offering a year of free service to select Verizon customers. Apple, too, is dishing out free access to its streaming product, Apple TV+, to new iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple TV and iPod touch owners.

Disney also notched increased subscriber numbers for Hulu and ESPN+, which jumped to 30.4 million and 6.6 million subscribers at the end of December, respectively. Those gains are in large part thanks to deal that bundled Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+ for a monthly fee of $12.99, according to the report.

After a successful domestic launch, the entertainment giant is looking to fuel growth through international expansion. Disney plans to debut the service across Europe in March followed by a rolling global launch throughout 2020.

The news arrives a week after Apple conspicuously failed to mention Apple TV+ subscriber numbers in an earnings report for its first fiscal quarter of 2020. Apple CEO Tim Cook in a conference call last Tuesday had little to say about the service beyond noting it is off to a "rousing start," a vague metric he later clarified to be based on total subscribers.

Disney+ launched in November with a mountain of content, including access to Disney, Pixar, Marvel Universe, Star Wars and National Geographic movies and shows, as well as hotly anticipated originals like "The Mandalorian." The service notched more than 10 million subscribers in one day.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    I’ve been enjoying Disney+. Took advantage of the D23 offer and signed up for the 3 year plan. Honestly, I don’t know why people are surprised that one of their largest names in entertainment is succeeding with a new streaming service. 
  • Reply 2 of 25
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Disney's new video streaming service, Disney+, now boasts more than 28 million paying subscribers after launching against market competitor Apple TV+ in November, the company revealed on Tuesday.

It's a shame there aren't others competing against Disney+ in this market. /s

Seriously, these services are not competing against each other... they're complimenting each other with original content. A subscriber only has to stick around for a 
    month, binge as much as they can, and then cancel. Move to next streaming service... repeat.

tv+ being only $4.99 for a family subscription means that subscription may remain active long enough so that everyone in the family gets a chance to watch everything.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    I have a free 1 year with Verizon. I watched the Mandelorian--it's average, at best and half of the new Aladdin. It's 99.9% re-runs for me. Won't be renewing my subscription. I've watched 5 shows from AppleTV+ and I pay for it monthly. Definitely renewing.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Apple not reporting their numbers is telling.  It’s going to a long time before Apple TV is profitable.  Fortunately for Apple they have deep pockets.

Still Apple should have bought someone with content...
  • Reply 5 of 25
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    The problem with Disney+ is that the shows are not sustainable for a long term. They need to add more interesting new shows and do it more regularly. All their older collections are nice but I have watched them in cinema and like most people, I am not in habit of watching same movies over and over. This is why I am stopping my subscription for now as I hit the point where there are nothing else to watch in Disney+.

Netflix has more diverse collections but they also add a lot of new ones every month (mix qualities) or Apple+ which only offers high quality production originals but add them regularly. 

I guess it comes down to personal taste: do you like to watch your fav movie, the same movie, over and over OR do you like to watch interesting NEW shows every time you sit down?
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 6 of 25
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Apple not reporting their numbers is telling. 

It's not telling at all... It doesn't make much sense to report numbers when they don't equate to revenue earned. It's also a business tactic to not report numbers when you're entering a new market to keep competitors from knowing how well you are or aren't doing. Especially when you are the only new streaming service to start completely from scratch. Again, trying to compare apples to oranges. As if tv+ is going to fail if they don't get as many subscribers as any other service with a huge back catalog of content.
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 7 of 25
    rain22rain22 Posts: 132member
    Apple TV+ will blow Disney + away....

they just need a bit for time.

how can Ironman compete with Oprah?????  

also Apple TV+ currently has a rating of AAA+ on the Woke Meter and a staggering
    101% on the VSI (Virtue Signaling Index)

How can any company compete with that???
    lol... pretty much. 
    I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, Crave and Apple TV+
    Netflix is full of crap (in Canada anyways) and slow to add descent shows. But still worth the $12 or whatever it costs. 

Amazon Prime: This is actually the one we watch the most. Probably the best deal for the money. 

Disney+: It's good. After a year thou... not sure how much will be left to watch. 

Crave: If you wanna catch up on TV... not really worth the money thou, thinking of dropping. 

Apple TV+: There is literally 1 show I might watch... out of what... 4 or 5 they include free. Everything else is pay pay pay - or attached to other services to make it look like they have a selection of programs. I was severely disappointed that they don't have anything really worth watching for a big streaming launch. If it wasn't free with my Apple TV purchase, no way would I pay for this service. 
    They are going to have to buy a lot of media from several studio's and include it in their subscription to make it work. 

• Reply 8 of 25

also Apple TV+ currently has a rating of AAA+ on the Woke Meter and a staggering

I bought an Apple device in December, so I get AppleTV for a year. I tried watching See and The Morning Show and For All Mankind..... and I didn’t care for any of them. I watch TV to escape from reality and most of the shows I mentioned highlight the parts of reality that I’m trying to avoid. I watch and read the news, I have as good of an idea about what is going on as I can considering the state of reporting and who owns all of the news services. 

My wife loves Alan Sorkin and watches all his shows, including movies.  The writing for The Morning Show is in the same ballpark, and For All Mankind isn’t too far below that..... but it’s showing just how crappy we as humans treat each other. I’d rather DO something about that than watch shows telling me, in a fictionally accurate way, how badly we treat others. And I lived through the mid 60’s and 70’s and watched shows that minimized problems we had and wouldn’t admit to the violence that was really there. Some of that happened in my own town but I didn’t find out for 10 years or more. I wish the news had told me then and not a movie 20 years later. 

I watch tv to escape.‘See‘ is escapist but it didn’t draw me in. There are new shows now that weren’t there a few months ago, and I will give them a chance. But I don’t feel like Apple has done a good job of balancing subject matter with accurate consequences so for the non comedies I doubt that I will enjoy them. And honestly I’d rather have a (non serious) sword and sorcery or a not too real sci-fi. 

My tastes are not everyone’s but there isn’t a lot on ATV for someone like me. 

edited February 2020
  • Reply 9 of 25
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    Myself, I will likely wait until there is more content, as I am a binge watcher for the most part.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Apple not reporting their numbers is telling.  It’s going to a long time before Apple TV is profitable.  Fortunately for Apple they have deep pockets.

Still Apple should have bought someone with content...
    Oh, you mean like it’s telling that they don’t report nor ever did Apple Watch figures? Nah. 
  • Reply 11 of 25
    kevin kee said:
    The problem with Disney+ is that the shows are not sustainable for a long term. They need to add more interesting new shows and do it more regularly. All their older collections are nice but I have watched them in cinema and like most people, I am not in habit of watching same movies over and over. This is why I am stopping my subscription for now as I hit the point where there are nothing else to watch in Disney+.

Netflix has more diverse collections but they also add a lot of new ones every month (mix qualities) or Apple+ which only offers high quality production originals but add them regularly. 

I guess it comes down to personal taste: do you like to watch your fav movie, the same movie, over and over OR do you like to watch interesting NEW shows every time you sit down?

Way back in the day, I worked for The Disney Store. I can’t tell you how many parents came into the store over and over again to buy the same VHS tape because their kids kept watching it over and over and over.  Those types of families are a prime Disney+ target market - why buy a bazillion different DVD/Blu-rays when for a couple of bucks a month you get Disney’s entire catalog (and maybe a chance to convince little Timmy to watch something besides Toy Story for the 500th time...)?  Even without new content, there would be a pretty decent sized audience for the service.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    I think the Disney+ offer is compelling, but that number seems really low. 
    When it’s a brand as well known as Disney and a service as heavily promoted and anticipated as this I would have expected more. 

(Remember this is a near-worldwide service and is receiving constant attention through regular press and memes such as baby yoda.)

I also think the market misread Apple’s expansion into Services - while these can generate profit on their own, they all appear to be structured as loss leaders to bring people into platform. The free year of AppleTV+ and the family pricing both seem to fit that narrative. 

Also worth noting that most AppleTV+ viewers likely have received it for free and I doubt Apple is willing to change that until the service is legitimately putting out hit after hit. 
  • Reply 13 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

I also think the market misread Apple’s expansion into Services - while these can generate profit on their own, they all appear to be structured as loss leaders to bring people into platform. The free year of AppleTV+ and the family pricing both seem to fit that narrative. 

Also worth noting that most AppleTV+ viewers likely have received it for free and I doubt Apple is willing to change that until the service is legitimately putting out hit after hit. 
    You don't need a single piece of Apple gear to watch AppleTV+ and you don't need a single piece for Apple Music either, so I don't think it's a significant driver of hardware sales. IMO the "free year" is to pump the numbers up quickly and hoping they'll stick around afterward. Without that free period there would have been little incentive for subscribing with the very limited content at launch.  Now they have some bragging numbers (supposedly anyway) to use in private talks with content producers, pseudo-partners, and studios.

FWIW I dropped my own subscription to it this past month. Realized I had only watched it perhaps once/twice in the preceding 3 or 4 weeks. I'd run out of interesting content. I'll probably pick it up again for a month later this year and binge on what I do find interesting. Same as I do with CBS AllAccess.
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 14 of 25
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    I have a free 1 year with Verizon. I watched the Mandelorian--it's average, at best and half of the new Aladdin. It's 99.9% re-runs for me. Won't be renewing my subscription. I've watched 5 shows from AppleTV+ and I pay for it monthly. Definitely renewing.

l’d have a minor interest in The Mandalorian, but baby Yoda (big eye roll) isn’t a big enough draw for me to subscribe.

When Netflix captured season 6 of Star Wars The Clone Wars, that put me over the edge and I became a Netflix subscriber.  So, when season 7 is released it’s going to be hard for me and my son to resist.  But after watching season 7, and The Mandalorian too I suppose, I’ll be leaning toward cancellation.  But then there’s that Obi Wan limited series ...

I’ve really enjoyed AppleTV+ so far.  We’ll see how well the new upcoming content does over time.

• Reply 15 of 25
    JWSC said:

l’d have a minor interest in The Mandalorian, but baby Yoda (big eye roll) isn’t a big enough draw for me to subscribe.

When Netflix captured season 6 of Star Wars The Clone Wars, that put me over the edge and I became a Netflix subscriber.  So, when season 7 is released it’s going to be hard for me and my son to resist.  But after watching season 7, and The Mandalorian too I suppose, I’ll be leaning toward cancellation.  But then there’s that Obi Wan limited series ...

I’ve really enjoyed AppleTV+ so far.  We’ll see how well the new upcoming content does over time.

I'm looking forward to Falcon and the Winter Soldier, and Wanda Vision might be well worth watching too. Disney is being smart about this. By the time many viewers have watched the existing shows for the most part they'll roll out another compelling series, assuming you're a Marvel fan, and two months later another one. If they can do new rollouts quarterly they can become the new HBO with a little luck. Lots of great catalog stuff and enough new content to keep the audience satisfied enough to keep paying. 
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 16 of 25
    bellsbells Posts: 140member
    This article says they are paying subscribers but it is not clear Disney said that. 

I got a free year when I bought a new TV. Am I considered a paying subscriber?

Truth is other than Mandolorian, there isn’t a lot of content that I haven’t already seen.

i would pay for a month to see Mandoloriian but cancel afterwards.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Ironically exact opposite for our family.trashman69 said:

AppleTV+ better watch out. Disney is a little sleepy but they're starting to wake-up. A few more Captain Marvel movies and soon a female Thor, not much farther to go.  ;)

• Reply 18 of 25
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

diz_geek said:
    kevin kee said:

Way back in the day, I worked for The Disney Store. I can’t tell you how many parents came into the store over and over again to buy the same VHS tape because their kids kept watching it over and over and over.  Those types of families are a prime Disney+ target market - why buy a bazillion different DVD/Blu-rays when for a couple of bucks a month you get Disney’s entire catalog (and maybe a chance to convince little Timmy to watch something besides Toy Story for the 500th time...)?  Even without new content, there would be a pretty decent sized audience for the service.
    I'd give you a thumbs up if I could.
    diz_geekSpamSandwich
  • Reply 19 of 25
    bells said:
    This article says they are paying subscribers but it is not clear Disney said that. 

I got a free year when I bought a new TV. Am I considered a paying subscriber?

Truth is other than Mandolorian, there isn’t a lot of content that I haven’t already seen.

i would pay for a month to see Mandoloriian but cancel afterwards.
    You could safely assume your provider would be paying Disney for your subscription, tho at a group/discounted rate rather than what the rest of us are paying as individuals. Very unlikely it is free. Paid means money is exchanging hands. 
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 20 of 25
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Only when the free year comes and goes will the numbers accurately reflect those who intend to stay.