Like and informative buttons vanished

Posted:
in Feedback
Seems the like and informative buttons have vanished, but the number of likes is still visible under posts. Is this being removed?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    There is some work being done on the back-end today, impacting Like/Informative.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    Thanks for the info! The empty box under the posts looks a bit odd without them.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    There is some work being done on the back-end today, impacting Like/Informative.
    Suggestion: Bring back the “thumbs down” button. The “Informative” button was a useless addition, arguably identical to “like”.
    razorpit
  • Reply 4 of 10
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Suggestion: Bring back the “thumbs down” button. The “Informative” button was a useless addition, arguably identical to “like”.
    Thumbs down serves only in a popularity contest IMO. Even the sites that allow it give it short shrift and choose not to identify who gave that tag compared to thumbs up where the voter is ID'd.  There's a reason for that.

A thumbs down vote rarely advises any readers that the target post is not accurate or on topic or rude or anything, instead it's that someone didn't personally like the poster. :)

I suppose it would make some folks feel better anyway. Gotta let it out someplace. 

BTW Spam, informative is actually filling a purpose advising a reader that the post contains new information or an interesting take on the topic. Likes are just that, "I like what ya said. true or not". The first one is rarely given out while likes are handed out here everywhere by the dozens.
    edited February 2020 CloudTalkin
  • Reply 5 of 10
    gatorguy said:
    Thumbs down serves only in a popularity contest IMO. Even the sites that allow it give it short shrift and choose not to identify who gave that tag compared to thumbs up where the voter is ID'd.  There's a reason for that.

A thumbs down vote rarely advises any readers that the target post is not accurate or on topic or rude or anything, instead it's that someone didn't personally like the poster. :)

I suppose it would make some folks feel better anyway. Gotta let it out someplace. 

BTW Spam, informative is actually filling a purpose advising a reader that the post contains new information or an interesting take on the topic. Likes are just that, "I like what ya said. true or not". The first one is rarely given out while likes are handed out here everywhere by the dozens.
    I’m not convinced by your response. :)

”Informative” is measurably no different from “Like”. “Hate It”, “Stupid”, “Nah”, “Thumbs Down” would all clearly indicate to the poster one disagrees or dislikes their post.  ;)
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 6 of 10
    In my opinion there is an important difference between a “like” and “dislike”. While a “like” is kind of self-explanatory and the voter obviously concurs with the post, a “dislike” would be ideally not just expressed by a button, but rather through line of reasoning. This serves IMO three purposes: 
    1. as OP you have transparency why and what is disliked 
    2. This might foster constructive discussion, even if in the end it’s an “agreement to disagree”, and
    3. no ”dislike”-button takes away some incentive for the above mentioned race / competition. 

Regarding “like”/“informative”: I see the difference rather small bottom line. 
  • Reply 7 of 10
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    Likes and infs are back.

What we found when we were looking at the dislike button, before we made the decision to remove it, was that it was overwhelmingly being used to pile-on people regardless of post content. We did contemplate breaking it out into more buttons "misleading, hostile, etc." but in order for that to be meaningful it requires the people participating in the system to be well-intentioned. As it existed in its simple 'dislike' state it didn't provide any value other than to discourage posters and encourage tribalism.

Informative is a result of the positive-spin of that component breakdown we explored with dislikes. If we take a sampling of posts marked informative vs those that are simply liked the posts marked informative are generally of a much higher quality, so it is serving its purpose.

Also just for some technical stuff: The plugin we use to manage these reactions has been abandoned, so it's up to us to patch it to keep up with changes. Sometimes it can create some problems with load (which is why it was temporarily disabled). We are looking at doing a full forums upgrade at some point this year and that should help address a lot of issues people have been raising (no, we're not ignoring you.) Other stuff needs to get done first, but it is on the dev plan for this year.
    edited February 2020 gatorguyCloudTalkin
  • Reply 8 of 10
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    gatorguy said:

I give this post a thumbs down.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 9 of 10
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    razorpit said:
    gatorguy said:

:)
  • Reply 10 of 10
    razorpit said:
    gatorguy said:

Ha!