Philips Hue smart bulb allows hackers to attack your network

Posted:
in General Discussion
Owners of Philips Hue smart bulbs are being urged to check its firmware, after the publication of a vulnerability in how the accessories communicate with each other over Zigbee could allow an attacker to gain control over the whole home network.

Found by Check Point security researchers, the vulnerability was found in the Philips Hue bulbs' usage of Zigbee, a communication protocol that is used by a large number of smart home devices to communicate with each other. By attacking Zigbee, the attacker can take control of the Hue Bridge that connects the bulbs to the rest of the home network.

Using a Zigbee antenna, the would-be attacker can force one of the bulbs to be pushed off the smart home device network entirely, before putting malicious code into the bulb itself. If the user then tries to bring the suddenly faulty bulb live by re-pairing it in the Hue app, the malware can be spread from the bulb to the Hue Bridge, which in turn is connected to the router.

Once the malware reaches the Hue Bridge, the attacker can have access to the rest of the network, enabling further attacks to take place.

Check Point informed Philips Hue parent company Signify details of the attack, which has resulted in the creation of a firmware fix that will be rolled out to all affected Philips Hue bulbs. As per typical responsible disclosure protocol, Check Point will be issuing a full report on the vulnerability within a few weeks, after the patch has been given time to propagate to users.

Users are encouraged to open the Hue app to check for any available updates for the bulbs, and to install them as soon as possible, though many will find their devices will automatically install the updates. The latest firmware that patches the flaw is version 1935144040.

Head of cyber research at Check Point Research Yaniv Balmas warns "Many of us are aware that IoT devices can pose a security risk, but this research shows how even the most mundane, seemingly 'dumb' devices such as lightbulbs can be exploited by hackers and used to take over networks, or plant malware."

It is unclear if the same technique could be used to attack other Zigbee-based smart home devices, many of which could be controlled under Apple's HomeKit framework. Other prominent Zigbee users include the Amazon Echo Plus, Belkin's WeMo system, and the Ikea Tradfri collection.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    This is an IoT issue that everyone saw coming. Also most of these devices can talk directly to 3rd party servers, so it was an expectation that security holes like these were bound to pop-up. It's also been assumed that this would be exploited by nefarious individuals/groups or governments to create backdoors into networks.

It is also clearly on Apple's radar, as given by the introduction of HomeKit-Routers by Craig Federighi during the June 2019 keynote, where he pretty much described this exact scenario.
    ashleyjony0MacProwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    This particular attack vector doesn't seem all that likely, since it relies on an overwhelmingly stronger signal to pull the Hue bulb off the local network. Just how would that work in practice? (Not to mention, why?) I think I'd notice some guy with a giant antenna lurking in the bushes.

That said, if it makes me a Luddite to reject light bulbs that feature a need for firmware, then I'll just have to accept the characterization.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Mine were already auto-updated and patched. I don’t manually check very often but if mine were then most others probably were, too. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    It just keeps coming and coming. Nothing is secure, no one is safe, all of our data is out there, somewhere.
    stevenozwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    The reason why HomeKit has seen such slow adoption is because device manufacturers find if difficult to implement. A major reason HomeKit is hard to implement is because it has stringent security protocols.

Many of the IOT devices currently available have been rushed to market with little concern for security. Many manufacturers find that it is not possible to add HomeKit support to their products without more or less starting again from scratch.

If we choose devices that have native and direct support for HomeKit we can be reasonably confident that it meets a minimum standard for security. I would avoid devices that use some kind of “bridge” or “gateway” to work with HomeKit or that create their own radio network such as Zigbee.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    ...so now all it takes is a ‘lightbulb’ for our privacy and security to be compromised. 

A lightbulb, folks. 
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'm curious how to update my bulbs and potentially the hub built into my Echo Plus. I can't seem to see that as an option in the Alexa app and I don't recall that the Phillips apps showed anything since I didn't have a discreet hub from Phillips.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    And these are Philips... imagine if you bought those Chinese knock-offs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    4 real.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    What Cornchip said.

PS: I'm no longer seeing the options to Like a comment or say it's informative with a single click. I hope that's temporary, and not a administrative decision.
    razorpitjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    The firmware update 1935144040 is for the hub, not the bulbs, and mine updated 1/23/2020. It's already rolled out for those using automatic updates. The Check Point site says, "It should be noted that more recent hardware generations of Hue lightbulbs do not have the exploited vulnerability." but they don't say how to know which bulb is which, at least not yet, or what percentage of Hue bulbs are vulnerable in the first place. Everyone seems to be reporting this slightly differently which is frustrating.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 18
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    IoT, the invention of all would be inventors, is not such a good idea.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Yet another thing to worry about - hacked lightbulbs! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    ...so now all it takes is a ‘lightbulb’ for our privacy and security to be compromised. 

A lightbulb, folks. 
    That was my thought, too. What's the advantage of a 'smart lightbulb' anyway? I get that you can change the color, but I also know that that's something I would never do after the first time I installed the things. If I want to dim the lights, why not just use a smart dimmer switch? or even a plain ol' dumb dimmer switch?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    MplsP said:

A lightbulb, folks. 
    That was my thought, too. What's the advantage of a 'smart lightbulb' anyway? I get that you can change the color, but I also know that that's something I would never do after the first time I installed the things. If I want to dim the lights, why not just use a smart dimmer switch? or even a plain ol' dumb dimmer switch?
    'dumb dimmer switch' or even a 'dim dumber switch' ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

A lightbulb, folks. 
    This is why I have never for one moment felt any interest in having any of this Internet Of Things appliances and whatnot.

I can appreciate the potential usefulness of maybe a fridge having product tracking and whatnot, but I also have known for a VERY long time that the computer industry can not be trusted to make anything reliable.

If it is a general purpose computer inside, if it requires software maintenance, and ESPECIALLY if it requires connection to a computer of some kind to be functional, it’s automatically a thing I presume will be useless in a couple years... or worse: garbage on day one. Or even worse than garbage: dangerous.

This whole industry has been like this forever. It seems that only the people who don’t see tech/computers as an end of their own can actually see the scale of this problem. It’s a systemic and pervasive culture of acceptance of broken shit, and defending the broken shit with memes like “you’re too ignorant about technology to understand why everything has bugs”. It’s not an inherent function of technology to be broken. It is a culture of acceptance (and often worship).
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Steve HumistonSteve Humiston Posts: 14unconfirmed, member
    While someone could see that I have Phillips Hue.. they'd have to be outside my home trying to connect to the mesh of bulbs. It's so unlikely it's not worth worrying about. The age of paranoia is simply gone beyond nutty. While I appreciate Phillip's patching this as soon as they could. I wouldn't care if I wasn't patched. Once inside my network, remember they are hanging outside my home... they still have to figure out passwords to things. It's not like it gives them magical free reign to work my alarm system .. or turn my computer on from the outside... or even access to it if it was on...

Web based passwords are my only concern... these things are not.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 18
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    While someone could see that I have Phillips Hue.. they'd have to be outside my home trying to connect to the mesh of bulbs. It's so unlikely it's not worth worrying about. The age of paranoia is simply gone beyond nutty. While I appreciate Phillip's patching this as soon as they could. I wouldn't care if I wasn't patched. Once inside my network, remember they are hanging outside my home... they still have to figure out passwords to things. It's not like it gives them magical free reign to work my alarm system .. or turn my computer on from the outside... or even access to it if it was on...

Web based passwords are my only concern... these things are not.
    Actually, I can see this being a viable hack - these systems are common enough to make finding them relatively easy.  Some one smart enough Writes a program and has a strong enough transmitter, then simply walks down the street. When he detects a Hue system he hacks it and sees if there’s a smart lock on the hub. If there is he’s in. He doesn’t even need to break in right then; he can reprogram the lock and come back later when he knows no one is home. 
    watto_cobra