I dropped my P800!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Arghhh now I have a kaleidoscope in place of a screen. And the replacement screen is like 170 bucks. For that kind of money I can get a pretty sweet new phone. But I love my P800...

Sorry for the rant. Just figuring out what I ought to do.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    catalyst: We suffer along with you and your P800!

Just remember that your P800 is only a worldly possession, nothing more. Sure it'll cost you to fix it, but at least you can fix or replace it. I know you'll get through these trying times.

Escher
  • Reply 2 of 8
    catalystcatalyst Posts: 226member
    Gee thanks. I'm still reeling in from the shock; can't believe it's so fragile.. And it wasn't even a great drop (about a metre at most). I just hope I can convince SE to waive or at least lessen the charges.

Oh and if anyone's interested, I called them earlier in the day, and they said that a repair wouldn't take anymore than 45 minutes (provided they have replacement LCDs in stock.) Pretty cool! But having to get to that stage ain't so cool. \
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    At least you dropped a P800 and not a Powerbook, then you would have been out 1000 dollars.

If the P800 was an Apple product they would probably charge you 300 dollars or more to get it fixed. \
  • Reply 4 of 8
    catalystcatalyst Posts: 226member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jante99

At least you dropped a P800 and not a Powerbook, then you would have been out 1000 dollars.

If the P800 was an Apple product they would probably charge you 300 dollars or more to get it fixed. \

Well my PowerBook's been dropped a couple of times before (I'm a kludge , once without mishap, and another with a screen crack (though it wasn't my fault, so I didn't pay for it).

I guess if you compare the screen-to-overall price ratio it would be the same for both...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I drop my T68i all the time, but it's still working without any problems. Just a lot of dents and scratches. I'm also surprised the P800 would be so fragile!
  • Reply 6 of 8
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    My T68 fell 4 floors. Fine. I dropped my P800 yesterday. Shat myself.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

LOL!

sorry, not laughing at you harald -- i walk around with mine as if its made of some fragile material for fear of damaging it!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

Oopsie poopsie! So, Harald, was the P800 fine like the T68 before it?

Where is Apple's smartphone? I'm getting sick of waiting. I think I'm going to get a pair of phones from AT&T Wireless within the next week: (1) An older but beautiful Motorola V60t for my wife, which has great reception and coverage because it uses older technology, and (2) a Sony Ericsson T68is for myself, because it has GSM, Bluetooth and is iSync compatible today. We'll use my wife's phone for backup when we're in the countryside and out of GSM-tower range. We can use my GSM phone when we're visiting family in Europe. My hope in getting two phones from the same provider is that we'll get "adjacent" phone numbers (i.e. only one digit difference) and only one monthly bill. Thanks to new administrative laws passed by the US FCC, we'll be able to take those numbers to competing providers (aka number portability) beginning this November. Thoughts?

Escher