Apple lays groundwork to use iPhone as a car key via NFC

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    shamino said:
    My biggest concern here is that if the feature becomes popular, you're going to find people locked out of their cars because they're away from home, the phone has a dead battery and the charger is locked in the car.  Because you know people using this feature will be leaving their keys at home
    I wouldn't worry too much. Apple has already worked out allowing NFC to function when your device is in what dead because there's still plenty of power left for the occasional NFC use for a college campus card or taking the tube back home, just like you can still check the time on the Apple Watch after it's dead.

watto_cobrashamino
  • Reply 22 of 27
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    ITGUYINSD said:

Well that just saved me $70000+ (that I don't have in the first place)!  I could not buy a car that doesn't have CarPlay.
    LOL — exactly what I’d expect from someone who’s never driven a Tesla.

CarPlay became necessary b/c most car companies treated the info system as an afterthought and/or don’t have nearly the software talent that Apple could muster, resulting in years of absolutely poop in-car info/mapping systems. 

This simply does not apply to Tesla.
    Will driving a Tesla make the OP be able to afford a Tesla?  B)

watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 27
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    MplsP said:
    ITGUYINSD said:

Well that just saved me $70000+ (that I don't have in the first place)!  I could not buy a car that doesn't have CarPlay.

CarPlay became necessary b/c most car companies treated the info system as an afterthought and/or don’t have nearly the software talent that Apple could muster, resulting in years of absolutely poop in-car info/mapping systems. 

I have an Audi, and the navigation system itself is quite good once it knows where you’re going. The problem is when I’m in Minneapolis and I ask for directions to a store and it gives me directions to a store 3 states away instead of the one that’s 3 miles away.   Does the Tesla let me see my podcasts? Does it send text messages? How does the navigation system compare to Apple/Google/Waze? Will it suggest destinations based on your calendar appointments?

A friend has a Tesla and he says “the navigation system is pretty good, and it has pandora...’ but I’m more interested in how well it deals and integrates with my library. The other advantage of CarPlay is it uses your phone, so when my wife gets in and plugs in her phone, she’s instantly got her library, podcasts, settings, etc.

The JVC in my car "Works with Pandora" too -- but, despite no mention of it in the manual, it also works just fine with Apple Music and maps (at least the audio part).   The same with my friend's Highlander -- the salesman told her it wouldn't work with Apple Music but it does just fine.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 27
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ITGUYINSD said:

As a basic infotainment system Tesla has been great, but if you want to connect your iPhone to the car and use the services available via CarPlay then it pales in comparison to cars with CarPlay. Their forums are also lousy with comments about the lack of CarPlay (and Android Auto).

edited February 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 27
    ITGUYINSD said:

I'm going to agree wholeheartedly.  Back when I was driving a Lexus GS wanting a CarPlay enabled vehicle was a high priority and I wasn't planning to get another Lexus unless they did the right thing and adopted the technology.  The Toyota/Lexus UI was just bad and has been for years.  The most simple feature I was after was being able to send an address from my phone to my car.  That was only marginally possible if you paid for a yearly sub to an optional service and it was in no way convenient.  

I got my wife our first Tesla and it became quickly apparent that the Tesla UI just didn't need CarPlay to be usable.  As Boxcatcher infers, Tesla has the talent to make a decent UI experience, and the will to keep improving it without needing to buy the next car model to partake in upgrades.  

Also, sending an address to the car is as simple as sharing it.
    GeorgeBMacboxcatcher
  • Reply 26 of 27
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    ITGUYINSD said:

I'm going to agree wholeheartedly.  Back when I was driving a Lexus GS wanting a CarPlay enabled vehicle was a high priority and I wasn't planning to get another Lexus unless they did the right thing and adopted the technology.  The Toyota/Lexus UI was just bad and has been for years.  The most simple feature I was after was being able to send an address from my phone to my car.  That was only marginally possible if you paid for a yearly sub to an optional service and it was in no way convenient.  

I got my wife our first Tesla and it became quickly apparent that the Tesla UI just didn't need CarPlay to be usable.  As Boxcatcher infers, Tesla has the talent to make a decent UI experience, and the will to keep improving it without needing to buy the next car model to partake in upgrades.  

Also, sending an address to the car is as simple as sharing it.

And then you take a nap while the car drives you there?
  • Reply 27 of 27
    And then you take a nap while the car drives you there?
    Sadly, the tech is not yet ready for this, but I'm hoping it will get there soon.