Coronavirus threatens AirPods production as stock dwindles

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple ordered the production of 45 million AirPods units to keep up with consumer demand, but the coronavirus appears to be delivering both extended labor and material shortages.

As the 2019 Novel Coronavirus continues to spread across mainland China, Apple suppliers are reporting that they don't have enough material or labor needed to assemble products.

Apple's AirPods series may be the first to see significant delays and shortages. Apple AirPods Pro, for example, are already seeing delays of a full month on Apple's online store.

Apple had ordered suppliers to produce up to 45 million units to keep up with the demand. However, the coronavirus outbreak forced suppliers to halt operations for two weeks, putting many delays in the supply chain.

"Because of the virus outbreak, it has already been about two weeks since the assemblers have shipped any new AirPods series," a person familiar with the situation told Nikkei Asian Review. "All of the stores and carriers selling Apple products are really counting on suppliers to resume work next week."

Luxshare, Goertek, and Inventec -- the three leading AirPods manufacturers -- halted a majority of production since the Chinese New Year break began. A source told Nikkei that the suppliers have, at most, two weeks' worth of materials for AirPods assembly. The manufacturers will need to wait for component makers across China to restart operations. Any additional delays are likely to cause further problems in the supply chain.

Travel restrictions also threaten production, as many locations are seeking to minimize excessive amounts of travel to prevent the unnecessary spread of disease.

Companies are also worried that employees may bring the viruses into factories, where close-proximity contact could quickly spread the disease across tens of thousands of employees. However, some employers are willing to take the risk. Inventec plans to restart production on February 10.

While AirPods may be the first Apple product to see significant delays and shortages due to the coronavirus, it might not be the only one. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is starting to see disruption in the mobile phone market as a result of the coronavirus, and has slightly dialed back iPhone shipment expectations for the first calendar quarter of 2020.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    I would rather the workers be safe and healthy than possibly getting more people contaminated. 
    revenantAmberNeely
  • Reply 2 of 19
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    This virus has been getting out of control for a while now, but it has never felt so real until one of your friends or families get affected. I have friends currently stuck for 14 days on board of Diamond Princess near Japan along with 3000+ others with 20 confirmed already hospitalized.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    JinTech said:
    I would rather the workers be safe and healthy than possibly getting more people contaminated. 
    kevin kee said:
    This virus has been getting out of control for a while now, but it has never felt so real until one of your friends or families get affected. I have friends currently stuck for 14 days on board of Diamond Princess near Japan along with 3000+ others with 20 confirmed already hospitalized.
    I'm curious about the psychology of your statements. It sucks that people you know are infected and having so many unknowns means that the gov't, WHO, CDC, and other organizations need to be very proactive in how they deal with new, virulent illness, but I can't help look at this objectively to see how other viruses and diseases affect the populace each year with hardly any fanfare from the media. For example, in the US alone more than 8,000 have died this flu season and over 50,000 have died from pneumonia in the past year. That's a much high death rate per capita than we're seeing from corona virus. A few years ago ebola was the big scare but then I stopped hearing about it after it and yet a quick google search will show that there were 1000 cases in 3 months within the last year which has a rate of death at about 50%.

In case emotion has made someone overlook my key points: corona virus needs to be a focus for the professionals and if you one fo the few who know someone who is infected you should be pray (or whatever you do) for them, but you should also do that for everyone you know with cancer, the flu, etc. The average person shouldn't be making this their daily focus right now and yet I can't escape talk of it because the media is relentless when it comes to fear focusing. If your focus is that Apple may sell make and sell AirPods then sell your flipping stock you sociopath.

“People living in the U.S. should still not be worried,” Brown said. “There are only 11 known cases of the novel coronavirus in the U.S., while we now have nearly 20 million ill with influenza in the current flu season and at least 10,000 deaths from the flu this flu season.”

https://gizmodo.com/heres-how-well-know-if-the-wuhan-coronavirus-has-become-1841458361

edited February 2020 dewmeStrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 19
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    Soli said:
    JinTech said:
    kevin kee said:
    I'm curious about the psychology of your statements. It sucks that people you know are infected and having so many unknowns means that the gov't, WHO, CDC, and other organizations need to be very proactive in how they deal with new, virulent illness, but I can't help look at this objectively to see how other viruses and diseases affect the populace each year with hardly any fanfare from the media. For example, in the US alone more than 8,000 have died this flu season and over 50,000 have died from pneumonia in the past year. That's a much high death rate per capita than we're seeing from corona virus. A few years ago ebola was the big scare but then I stopped hearing about it after it and yet a quick google search will show that there were 1000 cases in 3 months within the last year which has a rate of death at about 50%.

In case emotion has made someone overlook my key points: corona virus needs to be a focus for the professionals and you know someone who is infected you should be pray (or whatever you do) for them, but you should also do that for everyone you know with cancer, the flu, etc. The average person shouldn't be making this their daily focus right now and yet I can't escape talk of it because the media is relentless when it comes to fear focusing.

“People living in the U.S. should still not be worried,” Brown said. “There are only 11 known cases of the novel coronavirus in the U.S., while we now have nearly 20 million ill with influenza in the current flu season and at least 10,000 deaths from the flu this flu season.”

https://gizmodo.com/heres-how-well-know-if-the-wuhan-coronavirus-has-become-1841458361

The big difference is that the world has vaccine for flu and there is no vaccine for this new virus.  It is also not as understood as the flu is.  There is risk of this becoming worldwide problem, it is scary.  Look at how fast things went bad in China.  One of the key things to be proven is how long it lasts on surfaces,  this needs to be found out and proven for everyone to know.  It is highly contagious which is a huge problem.  Let’s hope for better news soon.

dewme
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Soli said:
    JinTech said:
    kevin kee said:

In case emotion has made someone overlook my key points: corona virus needs to be a focus for the professionals and you know someone who is infected you should be pray (or whatever you do) for them, but you should also do that for everyone you know with cancer, the flu, etc. The average person shouldn't be making this their daily focus right now and yet I can't escape talk of it because the media is relentless when it comes to fear focusing.

The problem isn't in their statements.  The problem lies in your query.  People can care about more than one thing.  The point you're making ignores that fact, and creates a binary one-upsmanship.    @JinTech can show concern for the workers, @Kevin Kee can feel bad about his friend on the boat, and both can feel bad about the number of deaths from this flu season.  Since the topic is about the coronavirus, it would kind seem odd to start a conversation about the flu don't you think?  Not talking about it doesn't mean they aren't concerned.  They just aren't addressing that concern here... in a coronavirus thread.

This reminds me of that one friend we all have.  You know the one.  If you say "I broke my leg" when I fell in a bike crash."  He'll say, "Aw man, that's pretty bad.  I broke my leg, arm, and my brain pan when I was on a bike that was hit by an 18 wheeler being driven by ninja... who was transporting a great white/orca hybrid that nearly bit me into when the tanker cracked and created a 33 foot tidal wave that nearly drowned me.
    edited February 2020 fastasleepmuthuk_vanalingamJinTech
  • Reply 6 of 19
    As above poster said above, flu vaccine prevents you from getting sick. There are so much unknown about the coronavirus that is equally daunting for it to become potentially pandemic as well as harmless in the future. We just don't know and that makes prevention measurement all the more important.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    kevin kee said:
    As above poster said above, flu vaccine prevents you from getting sick. There are so much unknown about the coronavirus that is equally daunting for it to become potentially pandemic as well as harmless in the future. We just don't know and that makes prevention measurement all the more important.
    No, it doesn't. It reduces the potential for risk. There is no magic bullet at this point with the annual flu vaccine. But let's be clear about your statement regarding this assertion that the vaccine is effectively a "cure," there are still 8,000 deaths this season from the flu in the US, so why shouldn't Americans be more afraid of the flu (and countless others things) over 11 cases of people now under quarantine? The numbers don't work out in your favor.
    edited February 2020 dewmemwhite
  • Reply 8 of 19

Soli said:
    JinTech said:
    kevin kee said:

The problem isn't in their statements.  The problem lies in your query.  People can care about more than one thing.  The point you're making ignores that fact, and creates a binary one-upsmanship.    @JinTech can show concern for the workers, @Kevin Kee can feel bad about his friend on the boat, and both can feel bad about the number of deaths from this flu season.  Since the topic is about the coronavirus, it would kind seem odd to start a conversation about the flu don't you think?  Not talking about it doesn't mean they aren't concerned.  They just aren't addressing that concern here... in a coronavirus thread.

This reminds me of that one friend we all have.  You know the one.  If you say "I broke my leg" when I fell in a bike crash."  He'll say, "Aw man, that's pretty bad.  I broke my leg, arm, and my brain pan when I was on a bike that was hit by an 18 wheeler being driven by ninja... who was transporting a great white/orca hybrid that nearly bit me into when the tanker cracked and created a 33 foot tidal wave that nearly drowned me.
    As I stated by clearly naming multiple things, they should be caring about "more than one thing" but when you focus on a minimal threat over countless other threats that are of more concern to your personal health then you're not seeing the forest for the trees. Listen to scientists on this matter and stop being reactionary to what the media is selling you.
    edited February 2020 StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Soli said:
    kevin kee said:
    No, it doesn't. It reduces the potential for risk. There is no magic bullet at this point with the annual flu vaccine. But let's be clear about your statement regarding this assertion that the vaccine is effectively a "cure," there are still 8,000 deaths this season from the flu in the US, so why should Americans be more afraid of the flu (and countless others things) over 11 cases of people now under quarantine? The numbers don't work out in your favor.
    Despite the morbidity and mortality with flu, there's a certainty of seasonal flu. You could predict pretty accurately what the range of the mortality is and the hospitalizations will be, and when the seasonal ended. 

Compare to that, 2019-nCoV is something of a wild card in terms of how far it will spread and how many deaths it will cause. You said 8,000 deaths this season from the flu, how can you be certain it would not be 8,000,000 deaths alone in a year time from nCoV? Scientists are racing to find out more about 2019-nCoV, and our understanding of the virus and the threat it poses may change as new information becomes available. Based on what we know so far, here's how it compares with the flu.

Severity
    So far this flu season, about 1% of people in the United States have developed symptoms severe enough to be hospitalized, which is similar to the rate last season, according to data from the CDCOf the more than 20,000 cases reported in China so far, about 14% have been classified as severe, according to data from the World Health Organization (WHO) posted Tuesday (Feb. 4).

Death Rate
    So far this flu season, about 0.05% of people who caught the flu have died from the virus in the U.S., according to CDC data.  Throughout the outbreak, the death rate for 2019-nCoV has been about 2%. 

Transmission
    The measure scientists use to determine how easily a virus spreads is known as the "basic reproduction number," or R0 (pronounced R-nought). This is an estimate of the average number of people who catch the virus from a single infected person, Live science previously reported. The flu has an R0 value of about 1.3. A study published Jan. 29 in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) estimated an R0 value for the new coronavirus to be 2.2, meaning each infected person has been spreading the virus to an average of 2.2 people.

Risk of Infection
    The CDC estimates that, on average, about 8% of the U.S. population gets sick with the flu each season. It's unknown how the situation with this virus in the U.S. will unfold but with high transmission, without prevention, it can escalate quickly.

Prevention
    Unlike seasonal flu, for which there is a vaccine to protect against infection, there is no vaccine for 2019-nCoV. 
    dewmemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 19
    kevin kee said:
    You said 8,000 deaths this season from the flu, how can you be certain it would not be 8,000,000 deaths alone in a year time from nCoV?
    Why to make my point again. You can't, but for you to freak the fuck out because of a new virus is irrational and myopic. Let the scientists deal with understanding the virus. People did the same shit with SARS,  MERS, and EVD. Be smart. Be safe. Be rational.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Soli said:
    kevin kee said:
    You said 8,000 deaths this season from the flu, how can you be certain it would not be 8,000,000 deaths alone in a year time from nCoV?
    Why to make my point again. You can't, but for you to freak the fuck out because of a new virus is irrational and myopic. Let the scientists deal with understanding the virus. People did the same shit with SARS,  MERS, and EVD. Be smart. Be safe. Be rational.
    why shouldn't Americans be more afraid of the flu (and countless others things) over 11 cases of people now under quarantine?

Exactly my point: why should you be more afraid of nCoV over flu because you can't be certain.

edited February 2020
  • Reply 12 of 19
    kevin kee said:
    Soli said:
    kevin kee said:
    why shouldn't Americans be more afraid of the flu (and countless others things) over 11 cases of people now under quarantine?
    Exactly my point: why should you be more afraid of nCoV over flu because you can't be certain.
    Then you do you. If you want wear a HAZMAT suit to the beach, tell everyone this will be worse than the Spanish Flu, and not eat at Panda Express because it's Chinese food then you go right ahead, but I'm going to take a reasoned approach to things based on current probability, not what paranoia about the the unknown makes me fear. I also won't be eating at Panda Express, but that's for entirely different reasons.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    The Chinese Coronavirus is much deadlier than the seasonal flu. It’s in its early stages of spreading, so the total number of deaths may appear low compared to the seasonal flu. One must take into consideration several factors, though. 
    1. We cannot rely on the Chinese government to report accurate numbers of infected or dead. Most likely, the  numbers are significantly underreported. 

2. There are not enough testing kits or lab facilities to test everyone who has symptoms. People get turned away because of the inadequate testing facilities. 

3. People cannot get their sick relatives into the hospitals due to the lack of space. Sick people go back home until they get so sick that they end up in the emergency room on the floor waiting for over 12 hours to be seen. There are reports of people dying in the ER before being seen. Other reports say that relatives take their sick back home to let their loved ones die at home rather than on the floor of the ER. 

4. We know that the Chinese government is trying to suppress the true reports of what’s happening. Doctors who raise alarm over the severity of the epidemic are summoned to the police and made sign a paper saying that they should stop immediately leaking information about the severity of the situation under the threat of being prosecuted and jailed. That happened to the ophthalmologist who alerted the world of the Coronavirus in the beginning of January. He subsequently got sick during the first week of January by caring for his patients. The Chinese government denied that the Coronavirus could be spread from one person to another even though this doctor got infected in the hospital. Today, this doctor died in the hospital, but as the news spread, the hospital continued to deny that the doctor died and continued to list him in serious condition for hours until they finally admitted that he had died. He was 34 and in perfect health before he got infected. Because he realized what he was dealing with before he was infected, he wore a mask and protected himself in any possible way known to medicine. Yet, he fell victim to this virus. 

5. Crematorium workers in China
    report significantly higher numbers of dead delivered for cremation. They are saying they had never seen so many people dying every day.

6, The official Chinese statistics lists 31,452 cases (as of this writing) with 632 deaths and 1,341 recovered. Therefore, according to this statistics, over 2% of all reported cases have died, but only a little over 4% have recovered. What is happening to the rest 93+%? We don’t know. If they have not recovered and have not died, most likely many are in serious condition. Because, otherwise, they would be listed as recovered. A viral infection from a flu-like virus  normally goes away within 7 days, so we are talking about tens of thousands of people who have not recovered in 7-14 days. The ophthalmologist who died today first reported his symptoms exactly a month ago. So, it took him 30 days to die from this virus. We may see an escalating number of deaths from those who are currently listed as infected but not recovered. 

7. The Chinese government has taken unprecedented measures to quarantine over 60 million people and completely shut down their economy indefinitely. This reaction doesn’t jibe with relatively low numbers of infections and deaths officially reported. China will not jeopardize their economic growth during a trade war with the US unless the alternative is even more catastrophic than idling the entire economy. 

edited February 2020 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 19
    um ... 80,000 deaths from flu in the US alone for 2017-2018. But i think we can all agree that, if the reports are true, there will be a health and economic impact. fewer people are dying from this flu than from "standard" flu. (https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/26/cdc-us-flu-deaths-winter/), unless of course what has been said by the unnamed crematorium workers is true (after looking into the statement, it is not clear who said it--though this is china and people have disappeared or gaoled for speaking out problems with the way the government handles things).

we can care about both. there is something to be said about the minimal amount of news surrounding the tens of thousands already dead from the standard flu, but it is not concentrated in a city, but spread out over a country (or countries). we can be well-wishers for both, but for nearly all of us, both are out of our hands.

edited February 2020
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Soli said:
    kevin kee said:
    It’s a new strain that scientists know little about and there’s no vaccine for it. It’s perfectly normal for people to freak out, especially because of how quickly it’s spreading and killing.
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 16 of 19
    sjworld said:
    Soli said:
    kevin kee said:
    It’s a new strain that scientists know little about and there’s no vaccine for it. It’s perfectly normal for people to freak out, especially because of how quickly it’s spreading and killing. The only thing you can do is not be a goddamn bitch about how others react. ;)
    Then let the scientists do their jobs. Freaking out may be normal for you and other mouth breathers, but a learned person will not overreact to this situation and it certainly shouldn't be encouraged. We know very little about a lot of things, but when the media isn't trying to scare you you aren't worried about them. Funny how that works. Remember when people thought that CERN was going to destroy the universe if they ever started the super collider?
  • Reply 17 of 19
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Soli said:
    sjworld said:
    Soli said:
    kevin kee said:
    It’s a new strain that scientists know little about and there’s no vaccine for it. It’s perfectly normal for people to freak out, especially because of how quickly it’s spreading and killing. The only thing you can do is not be a goddamn bitch about how others react. ;)
    Then let the scientists do their jobs. Freaking out may be normal for you and other mouth breathers, but a learned person will not overreact to this situation and it certainly shouldn't be encouraged. We know very little about a lot of things, but when the media isn't trying to scare you you aren't worried about them. Funny how that works. Remember when people thought that CERN was going to destroy the universe if they ever started the super collider?

Wow, you are off your fucking rocker today.  Did your S.O. kick you in the balls or something?

You talk with such a holier-than-thou attitude, while people like Kevin Kee and Sirozha are giving real information.  You know shit about this situation.  I know people over there, I've traveled and stayed there, and I've lived with and among many Chinese people over many years.  I've been keeping up with the situation since the beginning because it affects my travel plans this spring, and I've been listening to people with boots on the ground.

This is a much more serious problem than you seem to be able to wrap your head around.  Comparing to influenza is just stupid, it's apples to oranges.  Otherwise healthy 34 year old doctors don't die from the flu.  The daily numbers you're reading on coronavirus are HUGELY incorrect and out-of-date.  That is a fact.  There are makeshift buildings all over China right now, like gymnasiums, with countless numbers of people who are sick and suffering, basically laying on the floor with no medicine or medical care whatsoever.  Even those facilities are turning away people who are sick because there's no room and the sick people are stacked up right next to each other as it is.  Most of the people who are turned away just go home, because there's nowhere else for them to go.

These people are NOT being counted!  The counts you're seeing are of people who are in "hospitals".  Those people in makeshift facilities and isolating at home are not in the counts you see every day.  I don't even think those who have been seen in "clinics" are counted.  This is why most estimates of the real number of cases and deaths are several times higher than the reported counts - at least.  People are literally dying in the streets, carted off, and they're not being counted.  And police aren't letting people take pictures of the bodies.  So no, this isn't like fucking influenza, stop pedaling that bullshit.  Calling other people "mouth breathers" is not only uncalled for in general, but you might want to look in the mirror, because you're the ignorant one on this topic.

For anyone with a little common sense, one understands that China is a country that desperately works keeps shit like this out of the light.  They bury it in any way possible, including, as I'm sure you've seen by now, sending police to silence doctors who are trying to warn the public.  And yet, China quickly saw that this was so out of control that they had to quarantine an entire city that's essentially the size of New York City.  Followed by a bunch of other cities.  That's hugely public and it makes them look really bad.  Do you honestly think they're closing off cities because they're stupid?  That you know more than they do?  WTF?!

As with any infectious contagion, proper hygiene and basic precautions can go a long way in a modernized, educated country.  Unfortunately, many (most?) people don't have a lot of common sense.  So there's a decent chance that by instilling some level of fear in the general public here in the US that we may very well be able to keep this contained, at least not growing out of control like it is in China.  That does NOT mean that it's not a very serious concern.

I've got to catch up in the newer threads, I'm hoping you've come to your senses in the meantime.

• Reply 18 of 19
    Reality is the conditions in China are much worse than being officially reported by over a factor of 10x.  They just quarantined the entire area of Shenzhen, which is the electronics manufacturing area of China.  This has just gotten a bit worse than just airpod avail.

it will affect most forms of electronics and even wide ranging items like automobile parts.

also, people saying it is like the flu and a low death rate are just not paying attention to reality.  Word is it has about a 16-17% mortality rate and infects about 83% of people it comes into contact with.  Some say it seems to be a genetic engineered bug too. White House in US asked Scientists to check this out. China has a BSL-4 lab in Wuhan and that may be the source of this outbreak.   

It’s scary stuff and I fear for China and its people. 

edited February 2020
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Reality is the conditions in China are much worse than being officially reported by over a factor of 10x.  They just quarantined the entire area of Shenzhen, which is the electronics manufacturing area of China.  This has just gotten a bit worse than just airpod avail.

it will affect most forms of electronics and even wide ranging items like automobile parts.

also, people saying it is like the flu and a low death rate are just not paying attention to reality.  Word is it has about a 16-17% mortality rate and infects about 83% of people it comes into contact with.  Some say it seems to be a genetic engineered bug too. White House in US asked Scientists to check this out. China has a BSL-4 lab in Wuhan and that may be the source of this outbreak.   

It’s scary stuff and I fear for China and its people. 

It definitely is scary (and devastating) for the people of China, but it's also something the rest of the world needs to be very cognizant of as well.  Not irrationally afraid, but knowledgeable and diligent.  There are large parts of the world that don't appear, so far, to have been hit by this illness, like Africa.  But my fear is that because much of Africa is very poor, under-educated, and lacking basic sanitation and medical resources, that if it takes hold there it may be even worse than China, where there is a very powerful dictatorial government that's able to (mostly) enforce things like travel bans.

As for rumors about this virus being engineered, I suppose it's possible, but I'd be more inclined to believe Hanlon's Razor (similar to Occam's Razor), which is roughly: never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.  It's far more likely that this is due to the lack of care when mixing exotic animals for consumption, lack of sanitation and general poor hygiene.