CD Burning

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
This is a pretty simple question, but what is the best way for copying CD's with a superdrive.

Thanks,

Dan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    where could I get said application?

Is there anything that comes built in?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Toast and Toast with Jam (audio) are nice apps actually. While the OS does have built-in CD burning, and Disk copy has some extra features, obviously, this third-party product offers more features than what an OS would want or need to in some cases. Toast allows byte-for-byte duplication of a CD, but the Finder and Disk Copy don't do this sort of direct duplication thing as far as I know.

Toast:

http://www.roxio.com/en/products/toast/index.jhtml

For built-in CD-R. CD-RW and DVD-R burning, check Apple Help for either the Finder or for the Disk Copy Utility.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I tried using Disk Copy, but was unsure of how to use it and the cd wouldn't play in a cd player. I think they came out as .aiff files.

Dan
  • Reply 4 of 6
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I thought that iTunes burned playlists to music CDs?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    If you're just trying to copy a music CD, you can either use iTunes or the Jam application I mentioned above with Toast. Obviously with iTunes, you have to import the CD tracks first, then burn the CD. Jam has more features (cross-fades, no gaps between songs, change volume per song, etc.) and can make an exact duplicate of a music CD. I think iTunes will leave a very brief gap betwen songs, and won't copy the negative time tracks between some songs on some CDs.

BTW, those .cda files on music CDs are the same as .aiff files IIRC. My old CDs actually list music tracks on them as .aiff files, only my newer Cds show the .cda file extension. I'm not sure why they changed the extension or what changed about the format, if anything -- I would bet it has something to do with potential copy-protection schemes in the file format itself, but I've yet to deal with anything like that.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Standard music CDs don't have copy protection.

The gap between songs in iTunes CDs is configurable from "Preferences".

If you're copying music CDs you probably don't want to waste time and quality by encoding them into MP3: in iTunes preferences change the import type to AIFF or WAV.