What Do You Expect For The Next PowerBook?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
And when do you expect it? Do you think there will be one or more speed/feature bumps before Apple introduces an all new model? I will probably be looking to replace my Pismo around MWNY if Apple at least gets to the vicinity of the GHz barrier in their laptop line.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 129
    krazyfoolkrazyfool Posts: 129member
    [quote]Originally posted by glurx:

<strong>And when do you expect it? Do you think there will be one or more speed/feature bumps before Apple introduces an all new model? I will probably be looking to replace my Pismo around MWNY if Apple at least gets to the vicinity of the GHz barrier in their laptop line.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Never, my 667 will anyways be top of the line! muhahahaha! Anywho, Ghz in TiBook? I would be able to bbq chicken on it. All I can say is dont hold your breathe. Even apple said no more updates for sometime. The market kind of sucks right now.
  • Reply 2 of 129
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    I don't claim to have any inside knowledge, but my guess is sometime between now and May 6 (the beginning of WWDC). That pushes us past 6 months since the big TiBook rev back in october
  • Reply 3 of 129
    ferroferro Posts: 453member
    KrazyFool is right...

I dont expect Anything... Anymore from Apple...

After the whole (revolutionary?) iLamp incident I just cant say I support or believe in those who run apple anymore... but I still will always be a hardcore apple zealot...

Until recently I would have never said this...

[removed rant text]

------------------------------------

© FERRO 2001-2002

[ 03-21-2002: Message edited by: FERRO ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 129
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    [quote]Originally posted by FERRO:

<strong>I just cant say I support or believe in those who run apple anymore</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why? They've done what they're paid to do: make a profit.
  • Reply 5 of 129
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member

[QB]KrazyFool is right...

I dont expect Anything... Anymore from Apple...

After the whole (revolutionary?) iLamp incident I just cant say I support or believe in those who run apple anymore... but I still will always be a hardcore apple zealot... [QB]<hr></blockquote>

What's wrong with imac, I think it's a great design, it's different from anything I've seen, and the best of all, every bit of the design is functional, from the LCD, to the neck to the Base, they are all there for a reason, instead of yet another LCD AIO Computer.

Anyway, I think th next powerbook will have builtin Bluetooth for sure.
  • Reply 6 of 129
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    What's wrong with iMac is the pricing! It's moving in the wrong direction fer chrissakes.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, the only thing I now expect from the TiBook is that it gets a price bump instead of a spec bump.
  • Reply 7 of 129
    ferroferro Posts: 453member
    Come'on...

the fairy lamp is "pretty" and maybe functional but....

the price is a problem... making promises they cant ((((deliver)))), etc...

I can only imagine the responses I would have gotten if I had left in the rant text in....

------------------------------------

<a href="http://homepage.mac.com/oxygon1/.Public/freakingguns.wav"; target="_blank"></a>

© FERRO 2001-2002

[ 03-21-2002: Message edited by: FERRO ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 129
    ihxoihxo Posts: 567member

<strong>the price is a problem... making promises they cant ((((deliver)))), etc...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Who would ever thought of the sudden price jump in PC133 Ram !? Jesus christ it was dirt cheap before 2002, now ? a 256 MB Ram will cost you 50 Bucks, that's like more than doubled in price.
  • Reply 9 of 129
    I imagine the new TiBook will have Bluetooth built-in (don't you think?) so that you can use various peripherals wirelessly without a silly adaptor jamming out of the back of an otherwise pristine piece of art.

-- PEte
  • Reply 10 of 129
    mithrasmithras Posts: 165member
    I believe (higher resolution) that Apple will (higher resolution) listen carefully to the demands of the target (higher resolution) market for the Powerbook: design, publishing, (higher resolution) and video professionals.

(higher resolution) What are they asking for? (higher resolution)

Well, higher resolution, for one thing.
  • Reply 11 of 129
    jerombajeromba Posts: 357member
    Higher resolution: sure

Faster G4: sure

Bluetooth: maybe

DVD-RW: maybe

Different case: no
  • Reply 12 of 129
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    The price of any new Powerbook will be at least an additional $100.

Come to think of it, shouldn't the iPod's price be hiked up as well? After all it does have an LCD display.
  • Reply 13 of 129
    tarbashtarbash Posts: 278member
    The PowerBook has a much fatter profit margin as a cushion for rising component costs. Apple takes some profit hit, but not to the point where they have to raise prices.

I think the next PowerBook will bring us 7445s up to 867 MHz, with a 733 low end. Higher res screen of course, 32 MB 7500 or GF4to Go graphics card, 30 and 48 GB drives, with 60 BTO. An new evolutionary, more sturdy case will probably enclose the machine as well.
  • Reply 14 of 129
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    1) A faster G4

2) Better screen resolution (smaller pixels)

3) DDR

4) OS X 10.2

5) Better video board with more video memory
  • Reply 15 of 129
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    The answer is that if it comes before MWNY, and I think it will, it will have an 800Mhz G4, and no other changes. If it comes at MWNY or after, who knows? Could be an entirely different machine.
  • Reply 16 of 129
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    ADC support.
  • Reply 17 of 129
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Tarbash:

<strong>

I think the next PowerBook will bring us 7445s up to 867 MHz, with a 733 low end. Higher res screen of course, 32 MB 7500 or GF4to Go graphics card, 30 and 48 GB drives, with 60 BTO. An new evolutionary, more sturdy case will probably enclose the machine as well.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh great! Blazingly fast 867MHz. Come on, Apple really needs more than that.
  • Reply 18 of 129
    rupertrupert Posts: 69member
    No they don't. Especially not in a Powerbook.

733/867 will be more than adequate.

I would rather have a Powerbook at 733 MHz with a 5 hour battery than a Powerbook at 1 GHz with a 1.5 hour battery.

Not to mention heat.

Imagine what Apple is trying to do here:

higher clock speed G4's (an already hot processor)

higher screen resolution

bigger and faster graphics chip

keep same 5 hour battery life

This is not easy. Speed, res, and video chip all are heavy battery drainers and heat generators. Apple is doing the best they can.

The new Powerbook will rock, and if we have to wait 4 months to get it, that's just the way it will be.

-'pert
  • Reply 19 of 129
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Introduction @ WWDC 2002 in May

667 Mhz and 800Mhz

256 MB and 512MB RAM

30 GB and 48 GB HD

56K Modem

radeon Mobility 7500 32 MB DDRRAM

133Mhz Bus standard

DVD-CDRW Combo Drive

Airport standard on high end

Gigabit Ethernet

1440 x 960 Resolution 3:2 Megawide Display

$2399 and $2999

BTO: 1GB RAM, 60GB HD, Airport

Next Powerbook Update:

Apple Expo paris 2002 or October

using the new G4s that have had a die shrink. possible 1Ghz.
  • Reply 20 of 129
    mithralmithral Posts: 68member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>Introduction @ WWDC 2002 in May

667 Mhz and 800Mhz

256 MB and 512MB RAM

30 GB and 48 GB HD

56K Modem

radeon Mobility 7500 32 MB DDRRAM

133Mhz Bus standard

DVD-CDRW Combo Drive

Airport standard on high end

Gigabit Ethernet

1440 x 960 Resolution 3:2 Megawide Display

$2399 and $2999

BTO: 1GB RAM, 60GB HD, Airport

Next Powerbook Update:

Apple Expo paris 2002 or October

using the new G4s that have had a die shrink. possible 1Ghz.</strong><hr></blockquote>

These are the most reasonable predictions I've seen. The only thing I would modify is to make Airport standard across the line (Anyone know the cost to Apple for Airport cards? Must be negligible, right?).

The other nice thing is this opens up the possibility for the iBook to go to a 700 G3 and the Ti's current vid chip. Which would make it pretty much the perfect consumer laptop. :cool:

-mithral