Siri now answers your 2020 election questions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2020
Apple News is now handling readers' 2020 election questions in a new way -- with Siri.

In early February, Apple News gave readers the ability to reach out to Democratic nominees during a debate. The Apple News app allowed readers to directly email ABC's moderators for consideration.

Working with the Associated Press, Apple now allows users to ask Siri for information on the 2020 election. Users will be able to ask general knowledge questions as well as those that require up to the minute information. For example, Siri will be able to tell you when a specific state primary is about to happen, as well as how a candidate performed in a primary or caucus.

Siri will speak the answer to the question, and when possible, will show a link to a corresponding Apple News article for further reading.

The feature has begun rolling out on February 11, so some users may not have it yet.

Apple had recently announced updates to its coverage of the 2020 US Presidential election alongside a guide to help readers guard against misinformation and seek out reliable news.

Apple News's coverage of the 2020 election is in the Today tab of the app, for users within the US who are also running iOS 13.3, iPadOS 13.3 or macOS 10.15.2.

Keep up with all the Apple news with your iPhone, iPad, or Mac. Say, "Hey, Siri, play AppleInsider Daily," -- or bookmark this link -- and you'll get a fast update direct from the AppleInsider team.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Oh dear... I can see this thread being shut down soon because armchair Internet Political Consultants will chime in with their toxic opinions.
    edited February 2020 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 16
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    A highly political article under which Comments are allowed!  Refreshing!

LET FREEDOM REIGN!
    cat52
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I tried asking it when the Iowa caucus & Super Tuesday was a couple weeks ago and it gave me the wrong dates. It seems to be correct now.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    jdw said:

LET FREEDOM REIGN!
    Sorry, we’ve given up on freedom it’s $$$ that buys elections.  But, feel free to think otherwise...
    GeorgeBMaccornchip
  • Reply 5 of 16
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    jdw said:

LET FREEDOM REIGN!
    Sorry, we’ve given up on freedom it’s $$$ that buys elections.  But, feel free to think otherwise...
    I do think otherwise, because last time, the side that spent the most money lost.
    entropysanton zuykovjeffythequickcat52
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I asked about the Indiana primary and got a web search. I wonder if Siri only verbally answers the soonest ones?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    jdw said:

LET FREEDOM REIGN!
    It's got nothing to do with letting freedom reign. It has everything to do with commenter's behavior, which has been proven time and again to be absolutely terrible on similar topics.
    dewmegatorguy
  • Reply 8 of 16
    apple ][ said:
    jdw said:

LET FREEDOM REIGN!
    I do think otherwise, because last time, the side that spent the most money lost.

Did that include Russian spending?
    dewme
  • Reply 9 of 16
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member
    jdw said:

LET FREEDOM REIGN!

that would be great, but comments have already been deleted..
    anton zuykovcat52
  • Reply 10 of 16
    jdw said:

LET FREEDOM REIGN!
    2016 was the exception to that statement:

What is amazing is the ratio was almost 2:1.
    cat52entropyscornchip
  • Reply 11 of 16
    cornchip said:
    jdw said:

LET FREEDOM REIGN!

If you need insight as to why, feel free to read the commenting guidelines.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    cornchip said:
    jdw said:

LET FREEDOM REIGN!

I left only one comment and it was not disrespectful or rude in any way. It was simply pointing out facts specifically - how financing works for election campaigns. It got deleted, it seems.
    cat52
  • Reply 13 of 16
    I asked the simple question this morning, "How many votes did Biden get in New Hampshire last night" and all Siri could do was pull up a list of websites (the first two which, btw, did not even have that information so I gave up).

Siri's bloody useless.

Please put it out of its misery and shut it down. Buy IBM's Watson, and start this over from scratch.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    “Siri, do you feel the Bern?”
    DancingMonkeys
  • Reply 15 of 16
    cornchip said:
    jdw said:

LET FREEDOM REIGN!

I left only one comment and it was not disrespectful or rude in any way. It was simply pointing out facts specifically - how financing works for election campaigns. It got deleted, it seems.
    Disrespectful or rude is not the only reason things get pruned. While I did not delete your comment, I suspect it may have quoted one that did.

If you wish to discuss this further, DM is the way to go.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 16 of 16
    “Siri, do you feel the Bern?”
    "I don't have an answer for that."