Rumor: Apple developing 'AirPods Pro Lite' headphone model

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
A report outlining Apple's supply chain operations amid the ongoing coronavirus outbreak mentions the company is working on a new headphone product called "AirPod[s] Pro Lite," a potential low-cost version of AirPods Pro or a next-generation AirPods.

AirPods Pro

Citing sources familiar with the matter, DigiTimes reports Apple is mulling a diversification in its production capabilities that would shift orders of a so-called "AirPods Pro Lite" device, along with expected next-generation versions of iPad, Apple Watch and iMac, from partners in China to those in Taiwan as the company deals with fallout from the new coronavirus.

The ongoing threat has "raised risks of raw materials supply shortages and shipments disruptions arising from uncertain resumption of normal operations at components suppliers and assembly plants in China," the paywalled report says, according to MacRumors.

What, exactly, DigiTimes is referring to in its mention of "AirPod[s] Pro Lite" is unknown, though it seems unlikely that Apple is planning a low-cost version of its latest wireless headphone product. Released in October, AirPods Pro sell for $249. That price is $90 more expensive than the second-generation AirPods that debuted last March and just $50 more than the AirPods with Wireless Charging Case bundle.

Apple could be preparing a new version of AirPods, which does not implement high-end AirPods Pro features like active noise cancelling and adaptive equalization. Comments from CEO Tim Cook in October suggest the company views AirPods Pro as a distinct product line and not a successor to AirPods, perhaps leaving the door open for future iterations of the original wireless device.

"We're anxious to see the customers for the new AirPod[s] Pro," Cook said, addressing a question regarding AirPods Pro sales. "I would guess that one, particularly in the early going, will be people that have AirPods today and want to also have a pair for the times they need noise cancellation."

In addition to AirPods and AirPods Pro, Apple is said to be working on a high-end over-the-ear headset that could debut in 2020, though rumblings about the supposed halo product date back two years.

It should be noted that while DigiTimes delivers somewhat accurate data on certain aspects of Apple's supply chain, it is largely unsuccessful in forecasting future products.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    So what they’re saying is that Apple might, at some point in the future, upgrade some products. 

I hope no one’s paying them for that. 
    chabigmike1StrangeDayslkruppcornchiprazorpitchia
  • Reply 2 of 37
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    "Pro Lite"?? Is that like jumbo shrimp? Why even publish nonsense like this?
    Beatsjeffharrisright_said_fredcornchipdoozydozenrazorpitchiaJinTech
  • Reply 3 of 37
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I finally bit the bullet and I just ordered a pair of AirPods Pro tonight. I got them engraved and I wont get them until next month, but that's ok. Good things come to those who wait.

I have never even tried the regular AirPods, so I am looking forward to getting the Pros.

As far as digitimes is concerned, they can go suck on a banana. I remember so many of their so-called reports and predictions throughout the years. What a bunch of clowns.
    edited February 2020 supadav03cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 37
    As much as “Pro Lite” seems absolutely ridiculous, a less heavy version of the product makes sense to me; because even as a fairly heavy user I just don’t need all that battery.

A minimal case able to charge the AirPods from my phone would be ideal to me.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Apple needs a low cost AirPods they can bundle with iPhone when they remove the Lightning port in 2021 or 2022. 
    GeorgeBMaclkrupp
  • Reply 6 of 37
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    apple ][ said:
    I finally bit the bullet and I just ordered a pair of AirPods Pro tonight. I got them engraved and I wont get them until next month, but that's ok. Good things come to those who wait.

I have never even tried the regular AirPods, so I am looking forward to getting the Pros.

As far as digitimes is concerned, they can go suck on a banana. I remember so many of their so-called reports and predictions throughout the years. What a bunch of clowns.
    I hope you enjoy them as much a I do mine. I thought the regular AipPods were expensive but really wanted the Pros. I love the small size, active noise cancellation, long battery life, ease of syncing with other Apple devices, etc., etc.
    And I don’t have time either for headlines that contain the words “may” or “ might”. 
    apple ][
  • Reply 7 of 37
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Yeah digitimes. Yeah.
    The Apple way, as a recall, is to move the old product down in price as you introduce the new flashier model at the old price point.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    apple ][ said:

Enjoy!
    It struck me yesterday while I was out running (I don't use ear buds when running):   When I saw other runners with Airpods I was envious thinking "I gotta start wearing those".  When I saw those with wires dangling down from their ears  I thought:   "It looks like they should be wearing bell bottoms or a leisure suit -- so dated".

apple ][fred1
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Have they un-nerfed the ANC in the AirPods Pro?  I haven't been paying attention since they did that, but if they've fixed it, I might consider them again.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    big kc said:
    "Pro Lite"?? Is that like jumbo shrimp? Why even publish nonsense like this?
    What's nonsense about either or those things? One is a description of a large variation of a named sea creature, and the other uses a commercialized spelling variation of 'light' to reference the proper name of a model type of AirPods.

If the Pro models are in-ear with noise cancelation, Transparency Mode (which the other AirPods don't have) then the Lite version would probably be smaller and lighter, possibly with a much smaller case, and likely offer less overall battery life as a trade-off (which is something I'd very  much like since I don't use my wireless headphones for long enough as is).

Or, maybe they're using the Pro moniker to refer to in-ear phones in general so they're going to make a Lite version in reference to being a reduced feature set at a lower price-point, which also makes complete sense.
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 11 of 37
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Is it really a surprise that Apple would be working on a replacement to the original style AirPod that incorporated the ID from the new Pro?!
    In other news, Apple is rumored to be working on a replacement to the current iPhone.
    razorpit
  • Reply 12 of 37
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Have they un-nerfed the ANC in the AirPods Pro?  I haven't been paying attention since they did that, but if they've fixed it, I might consider them again.

Firmware update 2C54 affected the ANC and was quickly pulled by Apple. It got on to some users Airpods back on 12/16 before being pulled and replaced with the previous 2B588 firmware. I received mine on Christmas day and was on 2B588 out of the box. In between that time I exchanged the original pair I had for another issue I was having and the new set is still on firmware 2B588. I don't believe ANC performance is an issue on this firmware..
    edited February 2020 beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 13 of 37
    jcs2305 said:

Firmware update 2C54 affected the ANC and was quickly pulled by Apple. It got on to some users back Airpods on 12/16 before being pulled and replaced with the previous 2B588 firmware. I received mine on Christmas day and was on 2B588 out of the box. In between that time I exchanged the original pair I had for another issue I was having and the new set is still on firmware 2B588. I don't believe ANC performance is an issue on this firmware..
    Just so I'm clear, 2C54 is the version that adversely (in the opinion of many) affected the ANC and "improved" the bass response, and 2B588 is the one that has the original ANC performance that was so lauded by many reviewers?
  • Reply 14 of 37
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    jcs2305 said:

Firmware update 2C54 affected the ANC and was quickly pulled by Apple. It got on to some users back Airpods on 12/16 before being pulled and replaced with the previous 2B588 firmware. I received mine on Christmas day and was on 2B588 out of the box. In between that time I exchanged the original pair I had for another issue I was having and the new set is still on firmware 2B588. I don't believe ANC performance is an issue on this firmware..
    Just so I'm clear, 2C54 is the version that adversely (in the opinion of many) affected the ANC and "improved" the bass response, and 2B588 is the one that has the original ANC performance that was so lauded by many reviewers?

Yes ...

On December 16th, Apple released a new firmware update for the AirPods Pro bumping the firmware from 2B588 to 2C54. After the updates, there were several anecdotal reports that the AirPods Pro noise cancelation may have been affected adversely by the update. Adding to the confusion is that Apple has since pulled the 2C54 update, so not everyone with AirPods Pro may have the latest update.

pscooter63beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 15 of 37
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    borpat said:
    Apple needs a low cost AirPods they can bundle with iPhone when they remove the Lightning port in 2021 or 2022. 
    Yep
  • Reply 16 of 37
    I need the in-ear, but don’t need / care about noise cancellation. Maybe the Pro Lite would offer this. 
  • Reply 17 of 37
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    I would get the AirPods Pro as soon as Apple makes the battery truly replaceable and at a reasonable price. I think Apple does a lot of things right but $250 for a product that lasts only about 2 years isn't something I would buy.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    jcs2305 said:
    jcs2305 said:

Yes ...

On December 16th, Apple released a new firmware update for the AirPods Pro bumping the firmware from 2B588 to 2C54. After the updates, there were several anecdotal reports that the AirPods Pro noise cancelation may have been affected adversely by the update. Adding to the confusion is that Apple has since pulled the 2C54 update, so not everyone with AirPods Pro may have the latest update.

I remember the reports back then and also just remembered to check my own firmware to see if Apple would roll-back to the older one - Nope... I'm still on 2C54.  The relaxing of ANC was noticeable at the time but I kind of forgot about it tbh as it’s still pretty good!  Looking forward to it going back to full-strength, though.

• Reply 19 of 37
    Watch this video....it pretty much sums it up.
    montrosemacsbloodshotrollin'red
  • Reply 20 of 37
    tundraboy said:
    I would get the AirPods Pro as soon as Apple makes the battery truly replaceable and at a reasonable price. I think Apple does a lot of things right but $250 for a product that lasts only about 2 years isn't something I would buy.
    My understanding is AppleCare gets your a battery service. Seems worth it.