Apple launching program to store content closer to consumers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
Apple Edge Cache is a new service that enables better content delivery to end users with Apple-managed servers inside an internet provider's network.

Apple Edge Cache lets partnered ISPs deliver content directly to users.
Apple Edge Cache lets partnered ISPs deliver content directly to users.

Apple wants to utilize existing ISP networks and servers to house data closer to its customers. This means either content can be pre-cached on a server inside an ISP's network, or as content is viewed or downloaded by a customer, this data can be kept in a server local to the user for reuse throughout the provider's service area. This is a practice called edge caching.

As an example, you and your neighbor both stream the same movie in a relatively short period of time. Normally, you'll both ping the closest Apple server and have it delivered over the Akamai content distribution network, or other content delivery services that Apple has used to you.

When this occurs, the data will pass through an ISP server before reaching the user. With edge caching, the ISP can keep the data for that streamed content in the local ISP server and deliver it to you, or anyone attached to the same ISP server, again and again without pinging the originating Apple server again.

This Edge Cache allows for faster and more reliable content delivery. Less internet infrastructure to pass through before delivery reduces the potential for problems, minimizes re-routing, and cuts back on latency for the user, benefiting the user and the ISP. Other companies like Netflix and Amazon already a similar system for content delivery.

The Apple Edge Cache system is by invitation only, and applications can be sent in via the website portal for the service for consideration. Minimum requirement for applications include a minimum of 25Gbps of Apple traffic during peak usage. The network must also operate exist to primarily serve end users rather than some network operator.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    The Apple supplied servers will have all Apple TV+ content permanently stored, as well as other frequently consumed content from Apple Channels I’d guess. I’ve read that Apple uses very high bit rates for ATV+, so having the content sitting on the ISP’s network is a win for everybody. 
    edited February 2020 bshanklolliver
  • Reply 2 of 36
    ISP’s certainly benefits, but...

Doesn’t Netflix pay ISP’s for this ability?  Does Apple?

• Reply 3 of 36
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    20 year old technology, new business arrangement.
    lkruppsandor
  • Reply 4 of 36
    The Apple supplied servers will have all Apple TV+ content permanently stored, as well as other frequently consumed content from Apple Channels I’d guess. I’ve read that Apple uses very high bit rates for ATV+, so having the content sitting on the ISP’s network is a win for everybody. 
    It’s possible that being inside an ISP’s network would allow Apple to get a deal those anything downloaded from iTunes or tv+ wouldn’t count toward’s a customer’s monthly data cap. Should Apple ever expand tv+ to include a multi channel streaming package like YouTube TV, it might include that as well.
    radarthekat
  • Reply 5 of 36
    It’s possible that being inside an ISP’s network would allow Apple to get a deal those anything downloaded from iTunes or tv+ wouldn’t count toward’s a customer’s monthly data cap. Should Apple ever expand tv+ to include a multi channel streaming package like YouTube TV, it might include that as well.
    Apple shouldn’t get a deal, if anything they should pay (or call it even).  The ISP is decreasing traffic and latency, while Apple is reducing the data coming out of their server farms.  By implementing the Apple Edge Cache they’re basically reducing expenses while greatly increasing the number of customers they can service (maybe... it might just reduce Apple’s bill to Akamai).

The only ‘loser’ here is 
    Akamai.

radarthekatcoolfactorzoetmb
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Will having “content” data stored at an ISP relieve Apple from involvement or at least some pressure in turning over usage data to law enforcement while making it easier for law enforcement to muscle local ISP?
    williamlondonrazorpit
  • Reply 7 of 36
    That blurb is missing a possessive apostrophe on the plural. It should read “our ISP partners’ networks” 
    williamlondondedgeckoaderutter
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Will having “content” data stored at an ISP relieve Apple from involvement or at least some pressure in turning over usage data to law enforcement while making it easier for law enforcement to muscle local ISP?

Apple supplies the Edge Cache hardware, so it likely implements the same level of security as their own servers. All data would be encrypted and only accessible via authenticated means. And it would likely only cache non-personal data, such as movies and music, not personal iCloud files.
    lolliver
  • Reply 9 of 36
    apple really should dog food this idea and use it in apple stores.

nothing worse than having to restore an iphone in an apple store. it is so slow due to the over taxed bandwidth. worse than even doing it over cellular.

at least in the australian stores.
    BigDann
  • Reply 10 of 36
    The potential for abuse here is huge.  I wouldn't trust anybody but Apple or those (like Netflix) who only deal in public content to do this.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

From the description this is not personal data like email or photos, etc being cached (of course) but instead streaming content. If law enforcement would want to know what movies you watched on Apple TV or + (why and why would you care?) Apple will have those records. If you accept the app defaults it will be fairly detailed records.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208511

It would be proper to assume Apple would have to share some data about you with the ISP, presumably anonymized, in order to deliver the service but not clear whether/what they do. That little bit of "sharing" if needed wouldn't concern me anyway.

edited February 2020 steven n.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    While this is important for the rent and purchase of content.

The customers own and purchased content ideally should be stored in a closer space i.e. ones home! That way the multiple devices within it can access the content locally than having to reach across the internet to gain access to it.

Ideally, one can set a rule to replicate the content either way so a seamless image of ones stuff is present locally and within an iCloud server.

Hopefully the pendulum swings back to home servers again!
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 13 of 36
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    I don’t see this as applicable in the slightest. The content stored would be movies, TV shows, music, and other videos.

We are not talking about individual data like contacts, photos, iMessages and the like. You know, the stuff law enforcement is interested in. 

Apple already hands over the information on what you watched (the first set) with an applicable warrant. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 14 of 36
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    apple really should dog food this idea and use it in apple stores.

nothing worse than having to restore an iphone in an apple store. it is so slow due to the over taxed bandwidth. worse than even doing it over cellular.

at least in the australian stores.
    I always do a local restore using an iTunes backup. SOOOOOO MUCH FASTER. 
  • Reply 15 of 36
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Those "high bitrates" would probably require something like this, the same way Amazon and Netflix address it. I recall some comments in the past few weeks from some users who weren't seeing some of the great bitrates from ATV+ they were initially getting and I'd assume there was some throttling along the way, same as Netflix experienced before agreeing to pay a bit extra for data delivery.  I doubt Apple will be avoiding some cost sharing too. 
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    BigDann said:
    While this is important for the rent and purchase of content.

The customers own and purchased content ideally should be stored in a closer space i.e. ones home! That way the multiple devices within it can access the content locally than having to reach across the internet to gain access to it.

Ideally, one can set a rule to replicate the content either way so a seamless image of ones stuff is present locally and within an iCloud server.

Hopefully the pendulum swings back to home servers again!
    You can do this now with iTunes. Download it to one computer, and use Home Sharing across the network to stream it from that one computer.
    king editor the gratelolliverrazorpit
  • Reply 17 of 36
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Apple definitely need to up their game on the Apple TV. Netflix starts immediately for me with no buffering. On the same network (about 30 Mbps) the Apple TV buffers for about 10-20 seconds, sometimes doesn’t connect at all and will rebuffer during the episode a few times. I’ve turned the settings to 1K HD SDR at 50hz, pretty low quality by today’s standards, to no avail. 
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 18 of 36
    ivanh said:
    20 year old technology, new business arrangement.
    While it’s true CDNs existed twenty years ago, and I myself coded very heavily trafficked sites to use Akamai as the source server for our images, this sounds a little different. Applied supplied & managed hardware, and inside the end-user’s ISP’s network. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 19 of 36

asdasd said:
    Apple definitely need to up their game on the Apple TV. Netflix starts immediately for me with no buffering. On the same network (about 30 Mbps) the Apple TV buffers for about 10-20 seconds, sometimes doesn’t connect at all and will rebuffer during the episode a few times. I’ve turned the settings to 1K HD SDR at 50hz, pretty low quality by today’s standards, to no avail. 
    That doesn’t sound normal, I’ve never seen buffering like that on Apple TV content, whether it’s TV+ or iTunes rentals. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 20 of 36
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    What data is that?   That you watched the TV show with Jennifer Aniston, "Dads" or "Snoopy in Space"?   Who cares?   

You know the more data law enforcement is forced to wade through, especially law enforcement that is unsophisticated technically, which is probably most law enforcement in the U.S except perhaps for the CIA, the less likely they're going to find anything.   I don't think law enforcement wants to know what TV shows or movies one watches.   What they do want to know are the websites, chat rooms and forums you've visited, your phone calls, email and your text messages.    As I understand this, this won't provide that.   This is caching of often viewed content.  

edited February 2020