Apple Music Replay has been updated to create a 2020 Replay playlist

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple Music's Replay service generates a curated playlist based on your year of listening so far, and has just been updated to support 2020.

The website still features the 2019 playlist, but the 2020 playlist is found at the bottom of the page
The website still features the 2019 playlist, but the 2020 playlist is found at the bottom of the page

After missing out on the month of January, Apple Music appears to be ready for 2020's Replay. Used to generate a top 100 playlist, the service uses your listening history to update the playlist every Sunday through the year. This is a unique feature when compared to Spotify's own "Wrapped" service, which only provides the playlist and other data at the end of the year.

Apple first released Replay in November of 2019. The service uses Apple's beta Apple Music website to generate the playlist for the first time. From here users can add all the playlists available back to the 2015 launch of Apple Music. The older playlists are interesting as they are no longer updated after the year ends, and provide a unique insight to your taste in music for a given year.

Since it is so early in the year, some users may not have enough history to populate a full playlist. My own 2020 Replay has only 68 songs.

Apple Music is one of Apple's subscription services and has become a very important source of income for the company. Expect more updates to come as they continue to compete against Spotify.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    silvergold84silvergold84 Posts: 107unconfirmed, member
    Yes it’s a competition. What about the subscribers? Apple Music reported new record in financial informations. Spotify try to make more money and reported bad fiscal year. So more subscribers but less money. I tried sportify in the past, but now I use Apple Music. And I like it.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Not sure how important Apple Music is to income. Royalty costs are significant. I’m not sure it even turns a profit, but it’s important nonetheless. Just breaking even is enough. 
    radarthekat
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I use both Spotify and Apple Music. Spotify AI that makes recommendation and helps me discover new music is way better. In Spotify I have 6 playlists called Daily Mix in Apple Music I only get 3. With Apple Music I get recommendation based on music previously listened but the experience is not fluid it reminds me of a library, where I have to look around before I discover something interesting. Spotify creates countless playlists based on your previous history and most playlists are great. Apple Music curated playlists by people, which reminds me of radio station listing, not as good as Ai playlists.  
    ZepLepplin
  • Reply 4 of 8
    AM is good. Not better than Spotify. For me its not even close. I had AM for 18 months and when I tried Spotify for 30 day free trial I cancelled AM. I’d been missing out lol

The daily mix playlists and weekly discovery, the artists’ radio stations. Just recommendations are way better and exactly what I’m interested in. 
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I’ve been an Apple Music subscriber for several years, but I’ve never seen this ‘Replay List’. Where do I find it?  At the top are only three playlists - Chill List, New Music List, and Favorites List. 

Thanks,

-rb
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I googled and found it. 

1) Go to https://replay.music.apple.com

2) Log in with AppleID

3) Choose to Add Replay list

But this is a separate website, and doesn’t add the Replay List to the Apple Music app??
  • Reply 7 of 8
    rbnetengr said:
    But this is a separate website, and doesn’t add the Replay List to the Apple Music app??
    It does but you have to click the "+Add" button. And, IIRC, you have to click that button for every Replay playlist you want to have added.
  • Reply 8 of 8

I just had a look and don't have the 2020 list yet. Only 2015-2019. It may not have rolled out internationally yet...