Apple Maps Transit directions go live in various locations in the EU

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
Apple Maps are showing train, bus, and tram directions for users in new European locations such as France, Spain, and Germany as a new update appears rolls out across the EU.

Apple Maps Transit directions in France and Spain
Apple Maps Transit directions in France and Spain

As Apple Maps continues to update across the globe, more and more countries should start seeing updates like this on a regular basis. One eagle-eyed Twitter user noticed the addition on Sunday evening.

This update follows the recent United States rollout of Apple's new maps data. If the pattern continues as it did for the US, the EU should begin seeing more areas get transit directions and indoor maps as Apple prepares to launch its updated map database elsewhere.

Transit updates began in the US in 2015, and are still being added to smaller cities throughout, so it is hard to determine an exact timeline on how long this may take. When Apple unveiled their final US update, they stated that Europe would be the next target for the rollout.

"We set out to create the best and most private maps app on the planet that is reflective of how people explore the world today," said Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "It is an effort we are deeply invested in and required that we rebuild the map from the ground up to reimagine how Maps enhances people's lives -- from navigating to work or school or planning an important vacation -- all with privacy at its core." Cue concluded, "We look forward to bringing this new map to the rest of the world starting with Europe later this year."

Seeing such updates already beginning is a good sign, and since Apple has been driving its vehicles through Europe for more than a year now, they should be well on their way to a late 2020 release cycle.

Apple Maps Transit provides routes, departure times and other relevant data for buses, trains, ferries and other forms of public transportation. This will allow better information for commuters and travelers who prefer Apple Maps.

The Apple Maps app is only available on Apple platforms and via the web through search engines like DuckDuckGo.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    Relatedly, it was interesting to get an email from Apple on Sunday announcing that Express Mode had arrived on London Underground and that you no-longer need to verify with Face ID or Touch ID. Instead simply tapping would be enough to for payment.
    philboogie
  • Reply 2 of 10
    silvergold84silvergold84 Posts: 107unconfirmed, member
    That’s great. There are many people that understand the problem about privacy of google maps and we prefer to use Apple Maps. Its more easy and it have a better graphic. Now , we see the big improvement about Us cities and the new beautiful functions. We hope also to have that in Europe very soon. Apple is doing it. 
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Transit info and routing is now live in Munich, Stuttgart, and Frankfurt. Augsburg hasn’t been updated yet. I guess the “Tier II” cities will still take a while. Tourists (and of course people that live there) will probably benefit most from this approach as they are most likely to visit the capital cities.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mbenz1962 said:
    Transit info and routing is now live in Munich, Stuttgart, and Frankfurt. Augsburg hasn’t been updated yet. I guess the “Tier II” cities will still take a while. Tourists (and of course people that live there) will probably benefit most from this approach as they are most likely to visit the capital cities.
    Karlsruhe is live and definitely a "tier II" city at best, albeit with a very good transit system.
    mbenz1962
  • Reply 5 of 10
    mbenz1962 said:
    I’m glad Stuttgart has gone live, hopefully the U-Bahn times are accurate, I didn’t mind Google Maps but I‘ve been living without AppleMaps for the two years that I’ve been living here and glad it’s finally available.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    There is also expanded connections between cities and countries. So previously Paris and Berlin had local transit and nearby regional links but if you asked for trains between the two it couldn't find a route. Now you can route trains between them. Looks like all major regional trains are mapped out across Fr, Sp and Germany, in addition to the previous coverage of UK, Ireland, Suisse, Hungary, Benelux and Scandinavia. Italy, Austria and the rest of the east is still only covered in some areas.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I’m glad it’s now live. Unfortunately in Munich it seams that it is not taking the U-Bahn lines and Tram lines into consideration but only the S-Bahn lines... I guess these other mass transit systems will be added soon!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,663member
    Looks good. I see Barcelona on the screenshot. I'll give it a go on the XR.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,663member
    I gave it a go last night but the XR is on iOS 12 and this new functionality didn't show up on Maps. I suppose it could be limited to iOS 13.

It was as bad as it always has been for me.

I gave it a simple task and the very first step was a disaster.

I set it to take me from my house to Paseo de Gracia in the centre of Barcelona.

Right off the bat, it sent me 1.9km to a rail station. A twenty minute walk when there was another station on the same line just 800m from my home. That 1.9Km walk would see the train pass me on the way to the station. The problem was that it was the last train to Barcelona. It didn't tell me clearly that, as a result, my arrival would actually be the following day.

Google Maps provided all the necessary information and urged me to leave by a certain time to make sure I caught that last train. It directed me to the right station and everything else was correct.

• Reply 10 of 10
    Article lacks any specific information, Here is list all European Countries and cities as Apple list them:

But it seems that list is old as it does not contain any of users reported new places.
    • Belgium
    • Berlin, Germany
    • Budapest, Hungary
    • Denmark
    • Estonia
    • Finland
    • Ireland
    • Luxembourg
    • Madrid, Spain
    • Netherlands
    • Norway
    • Paris, France