New Microsoft Office iOS app unifies Excel, PowerPoint, Word

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
The newly updated Microsoft Office app for iOS combines three of Microsoft's most popular apps into one, and puts them in the palm of your hand.

microsoft office app

Microsoft designed the Office app to be a lightweight, intuitive version of Microsoft Office, giving users the ability to create projects on the go. Users can use the app from the iPhone, but likely will get the most out of using it with an iPad that features a keyboard.

Users will be able to read, write, and edit projects together in real-time with those who have access to the shared files, perfect for those who are traveling or working remotely.

There are a few new tricks up the Office app's sleeves as well. Users can snap a picture of a document and turn it into a Word file with a single tap. Similarly, a picture of a table can be turned into an Excel spreadsheet. Powerpoint can create presentations from images selected from your iPhone's camera roll.

The app also comes bundled with a myriad of built-in actions. These actions include the ability to export files as PDFs, easy file transfer between devices and your Mac, the ability to sign PDFs with your finger or Apple Pencil, and a note-taking section for brainstorming sessions.

The Office app is free, though you'll have to make a Microsoft Account if you'd like to export or save to the cloud. Those who have a subscription to Office365 will be able to access premium features exclusive to the subscription.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    MS certainly cares about Apple hardware these days.  Nice!  Loving MS DTR for Mac.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 37
    seanjseanj Posts: 318member
    MicroSoft = Malware
    bloggerblogajlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 37
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    seanj said:
    MicroSoft = Malware
    Not these days IMHO.  I would have agreed until Windows 10.   I have five PCs now as well as seven macs and all the PCs run Windows 10 pro with no third party anti whatever crap, MS's built in defenses have proven able to keep all my hardware safe thus far.  99% of the issues with Windows was always crapware and the likes of anti-virus apps as they were malware themselves.  That said, no PC is used for mail or web access.  Just applications or Mysql.
    edited February 2020 n2itivguyanantksundaramgilly33jony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Is the notes area of this part of OneNote or a separate standalone thing?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Ah yes, free to download, subscription required to use. Nothing beats paying rent for Office indefinitely for life. No thanks.
    ElCapitanDAalsethagilealtitudewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 37
    I don't see this yet in the iOS App Store.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    MacPro said:
    seanj said:
    MicroSoft = Malware
    Not these days IMHO.  I would have agreed until Windows 10.   I have five PCs now as well as seven macs and all the PCs run Windows 10 pro with no third party anti whatever crap, MS's built in defenses have proven able to keep all my hardware safe thus far.  99% of the issues with Windows was always crapware and the likes of anti-virus apps as they were malware themselves.  That said, no PC is used for mail or web access.  Just applications or Mysql.
    ^ Windows Defender is decent (if barebones)

With Apple’s increased risk of malware, they need to develop something similar.
    Any time a Windows machine is purchased it needs to be immediately wiped and loaded with the ISO from Microsoft’s website.  The malware/crap ware is coming from the OEMs. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 37
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    It’s interesting that Apple has to break up iTunes, because some people can’t deal with its all in one functionality, which never bothered me. But now, Microsoft is giving us an all in one version of Office, and people seem happy about it. This all seems pretty strange to me. Are people going to complain of the complexity, or is there a different standard here?
    razorpitpscooter63StrangeDayscaladanianFileMakerFellerRayz2016planetary pauljony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 37

86hawkeye said:
    I saw this merged app announced (available) for Android.  As far as I can tell it’s still in beta for iOS... it’s certainly not available on my iPad.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    This app doesn't have an iPadOS counterpart. It's iOS only.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    MacPro said:
    MS certainly cares about Apple hardware these days.  Nice!  Loving MS DTR for Mac.
    agreed!
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 12 of 37
    seanj said:
    MicroSoft = Malware
    Considering that Mac infections have significantly increased and now outpaces PCs...going to have to give you big fat WRONG on this one...
    chemengin1
  • Reply 13 of 37
    samads said:
    Oops.  I just assumed if it was released on iOS and Android it would be tablet compatible.  It’s kind of useless to me if it isn’t.  Maybe if I had one of those monster sized cellphones...
  • Reply 14 of 37
    MacPro said:
    MS certainly cares about Apple hardware these days.
    Seems like a desperation move to me.
    seanjwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 37

86hawkeye said:
    I saw this merged app announced (available) for Android.  As far as I can tell it’s still in beta for iOS... it’s certainly not available on my iPad.
    If you follow the link in the AI article on your iPhone or iPad it will take you to the right page. Note that it is ONLY optimized for iPhone right now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 37
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    Weird, when I searched for microsoft on my iPhone it didn't show it but when I clicked on the link it showed it. Of course it takes up 352.4MB putting it in line with Apple's Pages and Numbers but the complete Office package is much less than the sum of the individual apps (Word 276, Powerpoint 256). Might as well dump the individual Microsoft apps and save some space. 

Nice thing is it used my Microsoft 365 account logon and password I had set for Word and Powerpoint even after deleting those apps.
    edited February 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 37
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    samads said:
    Typical for Microsoft to include an app optimized for the iPhone and list it for iPad. I'm surprised Apple allowed them to do this.

caladanianseanjwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Give me VBA in excel for iPadOS. Not sure if the problem is MS or Apple. I heard Apple doesn’t want a programming language allowed. If iPadOS is to be considered for business use, they should really let VBA happen.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    rob53 said:
    samads said:
    Typical for Microsoft to include an app optimized for the iPhone and list it for iPad. I'm surprised Apple allowed them to do this.

Why? Almost a million apps work this way. I’m not saying it’s great, but everyone who doesn’t have an app specifically targeted to the iPad works on the iPad. Are you saying that Apple should treat Microsoft differently? Remember this is an Apple wriien mode in iOS.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    MacPro said:
    MS certainly cares about Apple hardware these days.
    Seems like a desperation move to me.
    A few years ago, maybe. MS is all-in on web services for business now and they do a great job with azure and office360. Great for business who can write-off subscriptions, maybe not great for consumers who can’t.
    watto_cobra