Apple Maps' Look Around feature works in three more U.S. cities

Posted:
in iOS
Apple has rolled out its "Look Around" feature of Apple Maps into three more cities in the United States, giving users the ability to see Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C. at street level on their iPhone or iPad.

Enabled on Friday, the latest trio of cities in Look Around is now available to view from within the Apple Maps app in iOS and iPadOS. The rollout is happening relatively rapidly and should be available to all users globally by the end of the day.

The addition of Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington, D.C. to the roster, as spotted by MacRumors, follows earlier rollouts in Houston, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, New York City, San Francisco, and Oahu. Apple hasn't offered a timeline for future Look Around updates, but updates seem to arrive every few months.

The feature, Apple Maps' answer to Google Maps' Street View, can be accessed by going to one of the locations where Look Around is available. After tapping the binoculars icon, a specific street can be selected and previewed in a small window, which can be expanded to a full-screen view by tapping the preview.

Once inside Look Around, the feature works relatively similar to Street View, in that the view can be changed by swiping the display, while tapping part of the road in the distance will move the camera to that point. Unlike Street View, Apple's version is more animated in its transition between locations.

Look Around is part of a relaunch of Apple Maps, which now offers a generally improved experience to users, including Apple-collected data and high-resolution 3D imagery.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Wow. Just checked. Works great. So much more better than the Mountain View Ad Company. No more Google street view for me.
    edited February 2020 lkruppcornchipBeatsStrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 2 of 28
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    WOOHOO! BRING IT!

although, to be fair, at this rate my city will be getting it around 2033.
    edited February 2020 curtis hannahcaladanianJWSCjony0
  • Reply 3 of 28
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    The quality and UI experience is SO much better than Google maps. Especially the transitions. 
    cornchipcaladanianStrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 4 of 28
    cornchip said:
    WOOHOO! BRING IT!

There is still a surprising amount of major cities that don't have flyover yet. To expect look around to have nationwide coverage like street view feels like it will take decades. At least those living in the now 9 cities it not covers can find it useful.
    cornchipjony0
  • Reply 5 of 28
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    cornchip said:
    WOOHOO! BRING IT!

There is still a surprising amount of major cities that don't have flyover yet. To expect look around to have nationwide coverage like street view feels like it will take decades. At least those living in the now 9 cities it not covers can find it useful.

Look Around support should start to build up at a fairly rapid pace, I'd think. The longest and hardest part is actually going out and collecting the data. Then, priority #1 is updating the actual map, once that's done for a city/region, then they can move onto Look Around. Which I assume takes quite a while to stitch all those images together and lay them over a 3D surface. Which is a huge difference from Street View which are just flat photos stitched together a'la QuickTime VR.

I'd love it if the next step is to use Look Around data to enhance FlyOver. It would be awesome to be able to zoom down from the sky right into Look Around. And then the opposite, jump up in to FlyOver mode.
    StrangeDaysrazorpitcornchipjony0
  • Reply 6 of 28
    That may be true, but street view is in 220 countries and territories, by the time Apple gets to that number "BAD GOOG" could have done pretty transitions on all 220 regions 3x over.

The Googlers  though are focus no what's next https://blog.google/perspectives/jen-fitzpatrick/charting-next-15-years-google-maps/

You would think with Google's lead Apple's first job to be done  would be getting its map to global coverage and parity as soon as possible and pretty transions last, but then if they can make a lesser product seem superior I guess job well done ?   :/
    edited February 2020 86hawkeye
  • Reply 7 of 28
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Ok - when will they add Minneapolis? :)

After using The updated Apple Maps for a few weeks now I’m liking it more and more. I don’t use street view much, but if you’re trying to figure out a specific route and need info about traffic lanes, parking, etc it’s very handy and Apple’s implementation is far superior to google’s. 

holyone said:
    That may be true, but street view is in 220 countries and territories, by the time Apple gets to that number "BAD GOOG" could have done pretty transitions on all 220 regions 3x over.

The Googlers  though are focus no what's next https://blog.google/perspectives/jen-fitzpatrick/charting-next-15-years-google-maps/

You would think with Google's lead Apple's first job to be done  would be getting its map to global coverage and parity as soon as possible and pretty transions last, but then if they can make a lesser product seem superior I guess job well done ?   :/

I'm not worried about Apple not having parity with google on everything. As people have said, google had a 7 year head start. If you focus solely on catching up, that’s all you’ll ever be doing. Apple is focused on making a good map program and rolling out new features in different areas as they can. (in case you don't recall, Google didn't roll out all of their features all at once, either.) 

Many people use both Apple Maps and Google Maps. I'll switch back and forth depending on what I need but I"m finding myself using Google less and less.
    cornchip
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Needs to be accessible by all computer users, not just iOS, iPad, Mac. It also needs to work on Windows, android and the internet
    kkqd1337
  • Reply 9 of 28
    mjtomlin said:
    cornchip said:
    WOOHOO! BRING IT!

Look Around support should start to build up at a fairly rapid pace, I'd think. The longest and hardest part is actually going out and collecting the data. Then, priority #1 is updating the actual map, once that's done for a city/region, then they can move onto Look Around. Which I assume takes quite a while to stitch all those images together and lay them over a 3D surface. Which is a huge difference from Street View which are just flat photos stitched together a'la QuickTime VR.

I'd love it if the next step is to use Look Around data to enhance FlyOver. It would be awesome to be able to zoom down from the sky right into Look Around. And then the opposite, jump up in to FlyOver mode.
    That sounds cool and all but I wonder what practical utility this will serve, especially considering Google's cleare lead in many little usefull features like their crowdedness feature. I dont really get why Apple would spend so much time driving up and down ONE multilane highway so just its users can skip between lanes in Look around, what usefull information can you get from jumping lane to lane that you couldn't get from just one ? Good UI design and user delight is one thing but a maps app is a tool to help user navigate and find their way around an ever increasing and confusing real world not a video game in MHO  
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Needs to be accessible by all computer users, not just iOS, iPad, Mac. It also needs to work on Windows, android and the internet
    Yeah I don't think that's going to happen. They aren't going to make Apple Maps for Android. The point of the free app is to enhance the experience within the walled garden. There is no incentive to produce and support it for Android.
    cornchip
  • Reply 11 of 28
    On vertical view and when the Look Around is minimized, I like how you can the drag the map and the binocular follows you plus the Look Around updates based on where you are on the upper part of the screen. It also works vice-versa.
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 12 of 28
    If you want to experience a real shock, navigate at the street level through downtown Los Angeles. The sheer number of street people there is an eye-opener.
    cornchip
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Yeah I don't think that's going to happen. They aren't going to make Apple Maps for Android. The point of the free app is to enhance the experience within the walled garden. There is no incentive to produce and support it for Android.
    Still think Apple should make it available for Windows via an app or the web browser.
    kkqd1337
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Reducing Apple’s Look Around to just having ‘pretty transitions’ shows a lack of awareness about it.

But even if it was nothing more than ‘pretty transitions’, anyone paying attention to technology for the last 20 years should have learned that things such as attractive visuals not only lead the industry, but other companies copy Apple visuals—or were you not around when OS X received criticism for its visuals only to have Windows eventually copy the idea and it completely changing the industry?

Humans aren’t machines. We enjoy ‘beauty’, even if that beauty is just a pretty transition in a maps app.
    edited February 2020 cornchipravnorodom
  • Reply 15 of 28
    georgie01 said:
    Reducing Apple’s Look Around to just having ‘pretty transitions’ shows a lack of awareness about it.

But even if it was nothing more than ‘pretty transitions’, anyone paying attention to technology for the last 20 years should have learned that things such as attractive visuals not only lead the industry, but other companies copy Apple visuals—or were you not around when OS X received criticism for its visuals only to have Windows eventually copy the idea and it completely changing the industry?

Humans aren’t machines. We enjoy ‘beauty’, even if that beauty is just a pretty transition in a maps app.
    It also allows things like this:

Which is extremely useful to find a new location. And is probably why they mapped both sides of the street.
    cornchip
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Looks great! Is it just me or does this seem smoother, (better) than Google Street View?  Very promising, just slow rollout & small coverage. But hey Rome wasn’t built in a day now was it. I will give Apple until end of the year to have significant more coverage. Significant. 
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Appleish said:
    Wow. Just checked. Works great. So much more better than the Mountain View Ad Company. No more Google street view for me.
    Really? I mean, Google mapped pretty much everything. I can go to shit-town, Ohio, and it shows some back-alley on Street View. Apple has what - a handful of cities?
    Granted, Apple has a nice special effect when moving through photos, but I’d choose a reliable and complete set of data over that anytime.
    And with Apple’s roll-out speed, it will take a decade before they get there.
    edited February 2020 cornchipkkqd1337entropys
  • Reply 18 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    So not on Maps in MacOS? Or am I missing how?
  • Reply 19 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    It’s on the Mac?
  • Reply 20 of 28
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    mjtomlin said:
    cornchip said:
    WOOHOO! BRING IT!

This is how I always imagined it would work, so needless to say I was somewhat disappointed when it didn’t. I figure it eventually will. Ya know in a couple more decades...