'Find my' app helps bust sex trafficker & more in the Apple crime blotter

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2020
Two huge Apple Store thefts in Milwaukee, Apple's "Find My" app leads to a sex trafficker, thousands of iPhone screens taken, and a stolen iPad found among other eclectic items -- all this week in the Apple Crime Blotter.

The Mayfair Mall Apple Store in Wisconsin
The Mayfair Mall Apple Store in Wisconsin

The latest in an occasional AppleInsider series examining the world of Apple-related crime.

iPhone and iPad theft scheme also involved manager's kidnapping

Two men in South Carolina were arrested this week on charges that they kidnapped the manager of a T-Mobile store, forced him to let them in, and stole dozens of Apple products.

According to ABC News 4, police say the two suspects kidnapped the manager at gunpoint from outside his home, drove him to the store, and forced him to let them in. At that point they stole 50 iPhones, 8 Apple Watches, 15 iPads, and $1,500 cash. The manager was unharmed and informed police that one of the stolen phones was equipped with a tracker, which they used to apprehend the suspects.

$25,000 in items stolen from Milwaukee Apple Stores

A trio of thieves reportedly stole more than $25,000 in items from two Apple Stores in the Milwaukee area at the end of January. According to The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, the thefts at the Mayfair Mall and Bayshore locations took place only 30 minutes apart. The first theft netted 17 Apple watches, 14 Apple magic trackpads, and one Apple pencil while the second included eight Apple watches, nine Apple pencils, four Apple Airpods and five Apple magic trackpads.

Video has been released by police of the Mayfair theft.

Apple Watches, Apple Pencils taken from Tennessee Apple Store

In other Apple Store theft news, a pair of thieves reportedly stole 11 Apple Watches & 20 Apple Pencils from the Cool Springs Apple Store in Franklin, Tenn., on Feb. 8. According to Williamson Source, the theft totaled around $7,000 worth of items.

Stolen iPad found along with vintage newspaper and other items

A car was pulled over last week by state troopers in Indiana, who discovered a wide variety of stolen items. According to BND, the items included an iPad, more than two dozen credit and debit cards, drug paraphernalia, autographed footballs, and a newspaper from the day after the 1963 assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

Police are working to return the items to their rightful owners.

Feud between activists, farmers includes taking of iPhone and cow

A long-running dispute between the owners of a Maryland farm and a group of animal-rights activists from Virginia has led to escalating criminal charges between the farm and the activists. According to The Baltimore Sun, one of the activists has been charged with both second-degree assault and a fourth-degree sexual offense. On top of that, the girlfriend of the farmer has been accused of stealing the iPhone of one of the activists and damaging her car.

The dispute dates back to 2019, when another member of the animal liberation group pled guilty to stealing a cow from the farm and moving it to an animal sanctuary called Life With Pigs.

"Tens of thousands" worth of iPhone screens stolen from U.K. distributor

Mobio Distribution, a U.K.-based distributor of mobile parts, suffered a major theft of iPhone screens from its location in Banbury. According to Mobile News, the company's co-director described the loss from the theft as "into the tens of thousands," and added that the thieves appeared to have targeted screens specifically and left other items alone.

Find My iPhone led to arrest of man accused of sex trafficking

A man indicted on federal charges that he coerced his girlfriend to drug and rob men over the course of four years -- one of whom died -- was caught after one of their victims used Find My iPhone.

According to the Justice Department press release, Randy Jonal Schenck was charged on 12 counts, including sex trafficking by force, fraud and coercion, transportation of an individual to engage in prostitution and aggravated identity theft. The Associated Press reported that Schenck was arrested at a hotel in Georgia after a victim, who had multiple smartphones stolen, used Find My iPhone to track him.

Restaurant burglaries lead to three years in prison

Elsewhere in Georgia, another accused thief is headed to prison, also thanks to tracking of an Apple device that he stole. According to The Press Herald, a 54-year-old man has pled guilty to a series of restaurant burglaries in the Augusta area. In one of the thefts, the man took an iPad which contained a tracking device, leading police to a girlfriend to whom he had gifted the stolen device.

After pleading guilty to two counts of burglary, three counts of theft, and one count each of burglary of a motor vehicle and criminal mischief, the man was sentenced to three years in prison.

Have an Apple crime story for us? Email AppleInsider and tell us about it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Big balls... little brains

There’s a App for that... and a cell too.
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 2 of 11
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Another week, another roundup of scumbags, thieves and lowlifes. Lock 'em up and throw away the key. Stealing Apple gear is a very bad crime and the criminals should all get the harshest penalty available.

And in the feud between the farmer and the activists, I clearly support the farmer, and I don't care if the farmer's girlfriend took the iPhone of one of the criminal activists.

Not everybody is deserving of owning or using Apple products and the farmer's girlfriend was merely repatriating the phone, just like the activists believe that they had the right to steal the farmer's cow. The activists are clearly harassing the farmer and his family and the activists should all be locked up for a very long time and all of their Apple phones should be confiscated and taken away from them, as they are using them to aid in their criminal activities. Activists is also too kind of a word, it makes it sound like they are doing something noble. They sound more like terrorists and should be treated as such.

The police should also give a rape test kit to the cow, because it is possible that the activists (at least one of them probably has blue hair) may have committed sexual crimes against the cow, as one of them had been charged with a sexual offense.

edited February 2020 macseekerPanamaniakcornchip
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Tower72Tower72 Posts: 22unconfirmed, member
    The thefts occurred at the mall I go to (Mayfair). Lets just say that mall has had it share of problems. Bayshore , on the other hand, is in the process of losing most of its tenants for other development, which is sad because its somewhat of an open air mall and going from store to store requires one to go outside.  Its not the fault of the mall itself, but the patrons it attracts. It is in a decent area, but with shopping malls disappearing, these "youths" have nowhere else to hang out and cause trouble. The mall changes its policies numerous times to combat this, but it doesnt help much.  Look up Mayfair Mall in Wauwatosa (its not Milwaukee but a suburb of) ... huge fights (just last October involving something close to 100) , to "wilding" episodes (back in 2011 which prompted Police and mall security to close early) and other "youth gone wild" problems...no wonder normal decent people cant have nice stuff

And wilding, I think it was called, is when a large group of kids run up and down the mall, knocking over displays, yelling, starting fights, and so on. 

I will still go there to do shopping when I need to but I never spend more time in there then I need to. Considering the other option of Southridge Mall, this is more of a classier mall, or used to be anyway 
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I’ve never understood why Apple puts stores in malls.  I get there’s more foot traffic, but malls are inconvenient.  I’ll go to the mall for Apple repairs, but I’d rather buy (go) anywhere else.  I’d even go into a Best Buy Store...

• Reply 5 of 11

The police should also give a rape test kit to the cow, because it is possible that the activists (at least one of them probably has blue hair) may have committed sexual crimes against the cow, as one of them had been charged with a sexual offense.

Unless there’s cause of concern that the cow was raped, no need to rape the cow a second time with a rape kit just because you don’t like terrorist, animal activists. So jail the activists for raping a cow, then kill the cow so it can be eaten. Ehhh. Interesting priorities!😏
  • Reply 6 of 11
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I’ve never understood why Apple puts stores in malls.  I get there’s more foot traffic, but malls are inconvenient.  I’ll go to the mall for Apple repairs, but I’d rather buy (go) anywhere else.  I’d even go into a Best Buy Store…
    While that may be inconvenient for you, it's very convenient for people who shop at more than one store, hence the reasons why malls exist in the first place. For me, Apple Stores in big cities are a huge PITA for me because of traffic, but that's where the people are so I understand why they have the most in the largest cities. Malls are the same dynamic. Luckily I live in a small city that also has an Apple Store due to the university, so I have a convenient option without a mall (as there are no malls for hundreds of miles, but if we had one it's likely Apple would've set up shop there).
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Soli said:
    I’ve never understood why Apple puts stores in malls.  I get there’s more foot traffic, but malls are inconvenient.  I’ll go to the mall for Apple repairs, but I’d rather buy (go) anywhere else.  I’d even go into a Best Buy Store…
    While that may be inconvenient for you, it's very convenient for people who shop at more than one store, hence the reasons why malls exist in the first place. For me, Apple Stores in big cities are a huge PITA for me because of traffic, but that's where the people are so I understand why they have the most in the largest cities. Malls are the same dynamic. Luckily I live in a small city that also has an Apple Store due to the university, so I have a convenient option without a mall (as there are no malls for hundreds of miles, but if we had one it's likely Apple would've set up shop there).
    Both types of locations have their drawbacks and their attractions. Several years ago, I had to drag an iMac into a mall-located Apple Store.... the week before Christmas. I was called to pick it up the day before Christmas. Finding parking was, um, interesting, but I finally did, got to the store 15 minutes after I told them I'd be there, and had to wait what turned out to be an hour in a jam-packed mall (the Store was worse) because there was only one person who could check out a repair for release to the customer, and he was on lunch break. (So why did they schedule the pickup then?) I've had to do similar runs to Stores that were located in more or less urban environments, schlepping boxed desktops (iMacs and Power Macs), and had difficulty finding parking anywhere in the same time zone. Public transportation was out, because a large box and a hand truck.... no go. A taxi was out as well because the only Stores were quite a way from where I worked. I have to wonder what people in places like New York City do when they have to get a bulky system to the store for repair. I guess there are enough Stores in Manhattan and Brooklyn that cabs/Uber/Lyft are practical.
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    sunman42 said:
    Soli said:
    Both types of locations have their drawbacks and their attractions. Several years ago, I had to drag an iMac into a mall-located Apple Store.... the week before Christmas. I was called to pick it up the day before Christmas. Finding parking was, um, interesting, but I finally did, got to the store 15 minutes after I told them I'd be there, and had to wait what turned out to be an hour in a jam-packed mall (the Store was worse) because there was only one person who could check out a repair for release to the customer, and he was on lunch break. (So why did they schedule the pickup then?)

I've had to do similar runs to Stores that were located in more or less urban environments, schlepping boxed desktops (iMacs and Power Macs), and had difficulty finding parking anywhere in the same time zone. Public transportation was out, because a large box and a hand truck.... no go. A taxi was out as well because the only Stores were quite a way from where I worked. I have to wonder what people in places like New York City do when they have to get a bulky system to the store for repair. I guess there are enough Stores in Manhattan and Brooklyn that cabs/Uber/Lyft are practical.
    Lugging eMacs and OG Mac Pros into the Tyson's Apple Store was always fun.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    I’ve never understood why Apple puts stores in malls.  I get there’s more foot traffic, but malls are inconvenient.  I’ll go to the mall for Apple repairs, but I’d rather buy (go) anywhere else.  I’d even go into a Best Buy Store...

Some people prefer shopping at malls. Myself, I avoid them like the plague, but I’m not a “shopper” so it’s extremely inconvenient for me.

My question is... where the hell is the mall security? two robberies in 30 minutes? You’d think the damned security would spend more time in that part of the mall?!?!
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 10 of 11
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Let me guess the female who drugged and assaulted those men gets away. Heck a female famous rapper openly admits to doing this and no one cares.

apple ][ said:
    Another week, another roundup of scumbags, thieves and lowlifes. Lock 'em up and throw away the key. Stealing Apple gear is a very bad crime and the criminals should all get the harshest penalty available.

And in the feud between the farmer and the activists, I clearly support the farmer, and I don't care if the farmer's girlfriend took the iPhone of one of the criminal activists.

Not everybody is deserving of owning or using Apple products and the farmer's girlfriend was merely repatriating the phone, just like the activists believe that they had the right to steal the farmer's cow. The activists are clearly harassing the farmer and his family and the activists should all be locked up for a very long time and all of their Apple phones should be confiscated and taken away from them, as they are using them to aid in their criminal activities. Activists is also too kind of a word, it makes it sound like they are doing something noble. They sound more like terrorists and should be treated as such.

4th degree sexual offense is very low and easy to get. He could have whistled at a girl in public.

• Reply 11 of 11
    Tower72Tower72 Posts: 22unconfirmed, member
    mjtomlin said:

Some people prefer shopping at malls. Myself, I avoid them like the plague, but I’m not a “shopper” so it’s extremely inconvenient for me.

My question is... where the hell is the mall security? two robberies in 30 minutes? You’d think the damned security would spend more time in that part of the mall?!?!
    As I mentioned, Bayshore is an open air mall layout. Once you exit stores, you are on a street. So it would be easy to take the stuff and jump into a waiting car 15 feet away. By the time security (or the Police) would have arrived, the trash would have been long gone. 

As far as Mayfair, that is inside a traditional mall yes, but there is one exit they could have used, that, if running, they could hit in less then 10 seconds, again, to a waiting car.  Plus security guards are just there for another set of eyes. Would you risk getting injured over shoplifting for what, 15/hr maybe? I go to Mayfair a lot and have been to Bayshore twice. 
    edited February 2020