FCC approves rumored 'Powerbeats 4' earphones

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
A filing at the U.S. Federal Communications Commission has confirmed a new set of earphones are on the way from Apple, with artwork indicating they may be the rumored Beats "Powerbeats 4."

An FCC filing illustration for what is believed to be the 'Powerbeats 4'
An FCC filing illustration for what is believed to be the 'Powerbeats 4'

Appearing in filings on Thursday, label artwork for a device described as the "Wireless Headset A2015" has surfaced, complete with a diagram showing where regulatory information would be placed on the device. The filing includes a number of elements, including confidentiality letters and RF exposure test results, mandated by FCC regulations.

The image for the filing depicts the headphones as being extremely similar in design to an icon that appeared in iOS 13.3.1 in January, for a Beats-branded earphone that wasn't completely wireless. Rather than taking the design of the Beats Powerbeats Pro or Apple's AirPods, the image seemed to show a connecting cable between the two earbuds, something that also appears in the FCC filing.

Given the connecting wire and having a design that is a cross between the Powerbeats 3 and the Powerbeats Pro, it is likely the earphones could be called the "Powerbeats 4." Details leaked within iOS 13.3 revealed the name of the product, as well as indicating it will have the same "Hey Siri" functionality for hands-free use as its stablemates.

The model number A2015 is not within any of the number ranges used by other Beats products. The Powerbeats 3 Wireless was model A1747, while Powerbeats Pro was model numbers A2047, A2048, and A2078 for the left and right earpieces and the case.

The filing with the FCC is an indication a product is certainly on the way, but doesn't help in determining exactly when Apple will release the item. Given rumors of a March event, it is entirely plausible Apple could unveil the "Powerbeats 4" at the same time alongside other major launches.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Apple is killing it with these!

BTW is Beats not big enough to not be mentioned in their keynotes or at least get their own event?
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I don't know why Apple would be waisting time on these old fashioned earphones?? I have a set of Powerbeats Pro WIRELESS that I just love for mobile Music, Walking the Dog, Yard work, Washing the car. The freedom from cables is way better than I assumed they'd be. Plus the audio quality is simply amazing...getting real close in SQ to my indoor sets of cans. Why would they go backwards with these crappy 'phones? I have a set of Powerbeats 3 and they suck as well. I'm really excited about the recently leaked Apple over the ear HP's https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/24/21150385/apple-over-ear-headphones-price-release-date-target-leak that will be totally wireless as well!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Powerbeats with a wire dangling between? Doesn't matter what they do, I'd never go back to that. The wire wasn't horrible, but it was THERE, felt it, and once in a while pulled. I have the recent Powerbeats Pro and no wire makes ALL the difference. So nice. Pay good money for ones with wire between? Huh. I don't get what Apple is doing here.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    javair said:
    Powerbeats with a wire dangling between? Doesn't matter what they do, I'd never go back to that. The wire wasn't horrible, but it was THERE, felt it, and once in a while pulled. I have the recent Powerbeats Pro and no wire makes ALL the difference. So nice. Pay good money for ones with wire between? Huh. I don't get what Apple is doing here.

That's just an FCC drawing that isn't an actual picture...