Two Apple operations executives depart company

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
Two long-term Apple executives in operations -- Nick Forlenza and Duco Pasmooij -- have left operations, but there are replacements in place, and neither exit was a surprise.

Apple Park, just prior to opening
Apple Park, just prior to opening

Apple's operations department is the division from which Tim Cook rose to CEO. The division is responsible for every aspect of the supply chain that produces millions of iPhones in a very short period of time -- and for delivering these devices to consumers.

There are about a hundred vice presidents responsible for various aspects of Apple business, and about 20 in operations. And, each of those hundred has a succession plan.

Bloomberg reports on Thursday morning that Forlenza has retired. AppleInsider has been told by sources within Apple not authorized to speak on behalf of the company that the exit was planned, and prepared for, well in advance of the departure.

Pasmooij has been working in Apple's augmented reality program for over a year, after a long stint in operations. While Pasmooij is still working for Apple, he is reportedly "discussing an exit in the near future" according to Bloomberg.

The report claims that neither departure had anything to do with the ongoing coronavirus situation in China, nor are they related. It isn't clear how it would have anything to do with the the virus, given that Pasmooij hasn't been involved in operations since late 2018, and Forlenza appears to have retired in mid-January.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Apple is DOOMED!!!!
    Beats
  • Reply 2 of 11
    macxpress said:
    Apple is DOOMED!!!!
    You know! I’ve never really seen anyone say Apple is doomed. Why do you always say this?
    prismatics
  • Reply 3 of 11
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macxpress said:
    Apple is DOOMED!!!!
    You know! I’ve never really seen anyone say Apple is doomed. Why do you always say this?
    Predicting Apple's imminent death used to get stated a lot by tech pundits. There are a lot more foolish, synonymous terms, like CNN saying "the coffin door is closing [on Apple]" but there were still plenty of times people being paid to write about tech stating that Apple was "doomed."

edited February 2020 StrangeDayscornchiplolliver
  • Reply 4 of 11
    macxpress said:
    Apple is DOOMED!!!!
    That's because you're a more recent user. Anyone who's been following Apple for as long as I have (and probably as long as MacXpress) perfectly understands where this sentence comes from. Back in the days, journalists and analysts always saw fit to mention that Apple was doomed, whatever Apple did. All this to say that we've seen plenty of guys and gals say that Apple is doomed. Granted, though, the expression is a bit hackneyed now.
    edited February 2020 StrangeDayscornchiplolliver
  • Reply 5 of 11
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    macxpress said:
    Apple is DOOMED!!!!

They've been saying this for decades. They just say it differently now that everyone's on to them.

StrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 6 of 11
    macxpress said:
    Apple is DOOMED!!!!
    Snarkasm 
  • Reply 7 of 11
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    macxpress said:
    Apple is DOOMED!!!!
    In years past we were subjected to analysts's predictions that the "death spiral clock has started for Apple." So excuse us if we like to rub it into analysts whenever we get the chance. Even today the naysayers predict failure "any day now" even though Apple is a trillion dollar company.
    StrangeDayscornchip
  • Reply 8 of 11
    macxpress said:
    Apple is DOOMED!!!!
    Predictions of Apple imminent failure and demise are legion. It goes back decades, but especially after Jobs died. One of the most famous was Dell’s suggestion they shut down the company and return the money to stockholders. 
    edited February 2020 cornchiplkrupplolliver
  • Reply 9 of 11
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    macxpress said:
    Apple is DOOMED!!!!
    It’s a meme.  Don’t over think it.
    cornchipgilly33
  • Reply 10 of 11
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    macxpress said:
    Apple is DOOMED!!!!
    You apparently haven’t been around for long enough.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Slow news day uh?