iPad for Work, Apple's Coronavirus issues, and Apple TV+ on AppleInsider Podcast

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, hosts Stephen Robles and Mike Wuerthele discuss the lack of an iPad app from Instagram, the productivity of the iPad for certain tasks, coronavirus affecting Apple's manufacturing schedule, the "Amazing Stories" trailer and Apple TV+ thoughts, and more.

An iPad Pro, keyboard, Apple Pencil, all connected to a 4K USB-C display
An iPad Pro, keyboard, Apple Pencil, all connected to a 4K USB-C display

Stephen Robles returns to host the AppleInsider podcast with guest Mike Wuerthele.

Sponsored by:

• Masterclass - Get 15% off an annual all-access pass.
  • Feals - Enjoy 50% off your first month's membership order.

Show notes:

We'd love to hear your feedback. Tweet at Stephen Robles and Mike Wuerthele, or email us here. Find us in your favorite podcast player by searching for "AppleInsider" and leave us a 5-Star rating and review in Apple Podcasts.

Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at: [email protected]
azamino

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Thank you. 
    Wonderful to see AI get back to topics treated in ways that matter to all of us who appreciate things apple.
    I feel sorry for William. It wasn't his fault. 
    stephenroblesFLMusic
  • Reply 2 of 9
    stephenroblesstephenrobles Posts: 91member, moderator, editor
    azamino said:
    Thank you. 
    Wonderful to see AI get back to topics treated in ways that matter to all of us who appreciate things apple.
    William will be on the show again in future episodes!
    FLMusic
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    On the piece about iPads & files. Any joy with iCloud Drive & using content caching on the Mac?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    stephenroblesstephenrobles Posts: 91member, moderator, editor
    mcdave said:
    On the piece about iPads & files. Any joy with iCloud Drive & using content caching on the Mac?
    I do find iCloud Drive on the Mac to be pretty stable. Sometimes force-download a file takes a minute to respond but otherwise it works well. If they improve the iOS app I may move away from Dropbox altogether. 
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    mcdave said:
    I do find iCloud Drive on the Mac to be pretty stable. Sometimes force-download a file takes a minute to respond but otherwise it works well. If they improve the iOS app I may move away from Dropbox altogether. 
    Same here on the Mac. I was thinking more of using MacOS’ iCloud content caching to accelerate iCloud photo/video library performance on our iPad Pro. I currently have an older iMac which doesn’t support it so no idea how well that feature works.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    azamino said:
    Thank you. 
    William will be on the show again in future episodes!
    That’s great! Tbh, I miss the other hosts.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    About editor apps...
    I recently switched to Bear (from a Dropbox folder of text files), and am enjoying it so far. My only issue is that you have to make regular backups and be a bit careful not to accidentally delete a chunk of text (as it constant-save/syncs). I also wish they'd implement a view toggle so we could choose between the (excellent) markdown mode they have now, but also quickly display plain-text and the output (w/o markdown symbols).

Also, FYI about the closing comments on 5-star Apple Podcasts ratings, they help for social proof, but they do zero to directly impact podcast ranking, visibility, or anything like that. All that matters is subscribers (via Podcasts/iTunes) in a certain time period (actually a weighted average of 3 time periods). Of course, reviews aren't bad, and help *if* someone runs across the podcast and is trying to decide to listen or not. So, if you're going to focus on one call to action, it would be to get people to subscribe.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    cgWerks said:
    About editor apps...
    I recently switched to Bear (from a Dropbox folder of text files), and am enjoying it so far. My only issue is that you have to make regular backups and be a bit careful not to accidentally delete a chunk of text (as it constant-save/syncs). I also wish they'd implement a view toggle so we could choose between the (excellent) markdown mode they have now, but also quickly display plain-text and the output (w/o markdown symbols).

Also, FYI about the closing comments on 5-star Apple Podcasts ratings, they help for social proof, but they do zero to directly impact podcast ranking, visibility, or anything like that. All that matters is subscribers (via Podcasts/iTunes) in a certain time period (actually a weighted average of 3 time periods). Of course, reviews aren't bad, and help *if* someone runs across the podcast and is trying to decide to listen or not. So, if you're going to focus on one call to action, it would be to get people to subscribe.
    There is new guidance, and the star-ratings on Apple Podcasts does also help discovery on other distribution networks.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Mike Wuerthele said:
    There is new guidance, and the star-ratings on Apple Podcasts does also help discovery on other distribution networks.
    That's interesting... if you have a source, I'd love to know (re: new guidance). That would be new news in the podcast industry.
    I could see how maybe it impacts other networks, if they are able to pull that data, and implement it for their own results, etc.