Fixing hard drive errors

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I recently scanned my hard drive with both Disk Utility and Drive 10, and Disk Utility showed no problems, but when I used Drive 10 it came up with a -60 error, and after scanning the disk for a volume structure rebuild, it showed that after the rebuild the Leaf Record Count would be one less than it is currently, which it indicated as an unusual change. Does this mean I should go ahead and rebuild the volume structure or not?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    Did you try repairing the disk and it's permissions in Disk Utility? I've had a Leaf Count Error before and Disk Utility always solved the problems.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    open terminal (applications-utils)

do a df -k and not the device for /

boot single user (hold down the s key while booting)

when you get the prompt fsck -y /dev/disk1s6 (or whatever the device was for /).

If this returns nothing then your disk is generally okay.

Dobby.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    bis22bis22 Posts: 34member
    I already tried repairing permissions before I checked the disk, so that's not it. (You're supposed to repair permissions when booted off the disk you're repairing them on, right?)

I also just tried that terminal command while booted off my external hard drive and this is what it told me almost immediately afterward:

** /dev/rdisk0s9

BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG

LOOK FOR ALTERNATE SUPERBLOCKS? yes

SEARCH FOR ALTERNATE SUPER-BLOCK FAILED. YOU MUST USE THE

-b OPTION TO FSCK TO SPECIFY THE LOCATION OF AN ALTERNATE

SUPER-BLOCK TO SUPPLY NEEDED INFORMATION; SEE fsck(8).

Any suggestions?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Yes. DiskWarrior.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    bis22bis22 Posts: 34member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

Yes. DiskWarrior.

Well, looks like Diskwarrior for OS X hasn't been released yet...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Should still work though, OS X uses HFS+, DiskWarrior fixes HFS+, unless your mac doesn't boot into OS 9 that is... Anyways I've rebuilt my OS X volumes in OS 9's diskwarrior successfully.